Is there a way to change the date of a file? If not, how can I keep the
original date after I modify a file and save it under a new name?

Yes, there are utilities that can do this.

Philip K. wrote:

> Is there a way to change the date of a file? If not, how can I keep the
> original date after I modify a file and save it under a new name?

Philip

Open Windows Explorer.. click on VIEW.. click on CHOOSE DETAILS.. check the
box 'DATE CREATED'..

You might also want to check other file attributes such that they show up..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

Philip K. wrote:
> Is there a way to change the date of a file? If not, how can I keep the
> original date after I modify a file and save it under a new name?

This is one of the reasons I still depend on DOS Navigator
(http://ndn.muxe.com/index.php) to do things easily that Windows just
/can't/. You can change /all/ dates/times/attributes of one file as
easily as a thousand, selecting it/them and pressing <ALT-E>. Anything
you change is changed in all of them. (BTW, don't expect to figure out
/everything/ it can do the first year. <G>)

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

Eusthenopteron@nonvenous.Spirosoman.gov
muchness@unrespondinge.re
scorpionweed@photophygousr.edu
silicoferruginous@criniculturef.edu
nonirreparable@murmure.iq

"Philip K." <Philip@aol.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to change the date of a file? If not, how can I keep the
> original date after I modify a file and save it under a new name?

Check Google for one of the many free "touch" tools,
e.g. by typing this into the search window:

touch "file date"

"Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
> Philip K. wrote:
> > Is there a way to change the date of a file? If not, how can I keep the
> > original date after I modify a file and save it under a new name?
>
> This is one of the reasons I still depend on DOS Navigator
> (http://ndn.muxe.com/index.php) to do things easily that Windows just
> /can't/. You can change /all/ dates/times/attributes of one file as
> easily as a thousand, selecting it/them and pressing <ALT-E>. Anything
> you change is changed in all of them. (BTW, don't expect to figure out
> /everything/ it can do the first year. <G>)

Mmh. DOS ***never*** had a tool to modify file dates, even
you appear to think so, and Windows does not have one either.
Both require a third-party tool such as Navigator.

Thanks everybody. It looks like NDN is the way to go.

"Philip K." <Philip@aol.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to change the date of a file? If not, how can I keep the
> original date after I modify a file and save it under a new name?

Well, can you name a few?

> Yes, there are utilities that can do this.
>

> Philip K. wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to change the date of a file? If not, how can I keep the
>> original date after I modify a file and save it under a new name?

There are several if you look. Why do you think others should do something
you can easily do yourself with a little research?
I'm sure your search engine works as well as mine, and that you can look for
the info just as easily as others can. There are sites like download.com
that has lots of software that is worth looking through.

> Well, can you name a few?
>

> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, there are utilities that can do this.
>>

>> Philip K. wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to change the date of a file? If not, how can I keep the
>>> original date after I modify a file and save it under a new name?

I gave you one in my first reply, plus the search string
you could type into a Google search field. Would you
like fries with that?

"Philip K." <Philip@aol.com> wrote in message
> Well, can you name a few?
>

> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, there are utilities that can do this.
> >

> > Philip K. wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a way to change the date of a file? If not, how can I keep
the
> >> original date after I modify a file and save it under a new name?

Read the entire string before you sound off. You poison the air.

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
>I gave you one in my first reply, plus the search string
> you could type into a Google search field. Would you
> like fries with that?
>

> "Philip K." <Philip@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Well, can you name a few?
>>

>> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes, there are utilities that can do this.

> the

Stay off the internet if you have nothing to offer.

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
> There are several if you look. Why do you think others should do something
> you can easily do yourself with a little research?
> I'm sure your search engine works as well as mine, and that you can look
> for the info just as easily as others can. There are sites like
> download.com that has lots of software that is worth looking through.
>

> "Philip K." <Philip@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Well, can you name a few?
>>

>> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes, there are utilities that can do this.

Dos has always been able to change a file date to NOW.

From Dos 6.2 Help file (supplied with windows 9x CDs)

Changing the time and date of a file

If you want to assign the current time and date to a file without modifying
the file, use a command in the following format. The commas indicate the
omission of the destination parameter.

copy /b source+,,

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message news:OIlVLBMcFHA.2980@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
>> Philip K. wrote:
>> > Is there a way to change the date of a file? If not, how can I keep the
>> > original date after I modify a file and save it under a new name?
>>
>> This is one of the reasons I still depend on DOS Navigator
>> (http://ndn.muxe.com/index.php) to do things easily that Windows just
>> /can't/. You can change /all/ dates/times/attributes of one file as
>> easily as a thousand, selecting it/them and pressing <ALT-E>. Anything
>> you change is changed in all of them. (BTW, don't expect to figure out
>> /everything/ it can do the first year. <G>)
>
> Mmh. DOS ***never*** had a tool to modify file dates, even
> you appear to think so, and Windows does not have one either.
> Both require a third-party tool such as Navigator.

But I wasn't inclined to help this rude prick.

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message news:OIlVLBMcFHA.2980@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
>> Philip K. wrote:
>> > Is there a way to change the date of a file? If not, how can I keep the
>> > original date after I modify a file and save it under a new name?
>>
>> This is one of the reasons I still depend on DOS Navigator
>> (http://ndn.muxe.com/index.php) to do things easily that Windows just
>> /can't/. You can change /all/ dates/times/attributes of one file as
>> easily as a thousand, selecting it/them and pressing <ALT-E>. Anything
>> you change is changed in all of them. (BTW, don't expect to figure out
>> /everything/ it can do the first year. <G>)
>
> Mmh. DOS ***never*** had a tool to modify file dates, even
> you appear to think so, and Windows does not have one either.
> Both require a third-party tool such as Navigator.

Well, look who's back looking for another round of insults. Where were you
four days ago when the question was first posted? How about reading the
question before jumping in? Better yet, get your head examined.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
But I wasn't inclined to help this rude prick.

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
>> Philip K. wrote:
>> > Is there a way to change the date of a file? If not, how can I keep
>> > the
>> > original date after I modify a file and save it under a new name?
>>
>> This is one of the reasons I still depend on DOS Navigator
>> (http://ndn.muxe.com/index.php) to do things easily that Windows just
>> /can't/. You can change /all/ dates/times/attributes of one file as
>> easily as a thousand, selecting it/them and pressing <ALT-E>. Anything
>> you change is changed in all of them. (BTW, don't expect to figure out
>> /everything/ it can do the first year. <G>)
>
> Mmh. DOS ***never*** had a tool to modify file dates, even
> you appear to think so, and Windows does not have one either.
> Both require a third-party tool such as Navigator.

So a search tool is beyond your capability.

> Stay off the internet if you have nothing to offer.
>

> "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
>> There are several if you look. Why do you think others should do
>> something you can easily do yourself with a little research?
>> I'm sure your search engine works as well as mine, and that you can look
>> for the info just as easily as others can. There are sites like
>> download.com that has lots of software that is worth looking through.
>>

>> "Philip K." <Philip@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> Well, can you name a few?
>>>

>>> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message

It always fascinates me when I see someone bite the
hands that feeds him. It makes me wonder what he's
trying to achieve.

> Read the entire string before you sound off. You poison the air.
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> >I gave you one in my first reply, plus the search string
> > you could type into a Google search field. Would you
> > like fries with that?
> >

> > "Philip K." <Philip@aol.com> wrote in message
> >> Well, can you name a few?
> >>

> >> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message

> > the

The OP asked for a tool to change the datestamp of a file,
not to set it to "now". The DOS method offers only a tiny
subset of what a proper touch tool offers, namely to set
the date stamp to any date and any time.

Dos has always been able to change a file date to NOW.

From Dos 6.2 Help file (supplied with windows 9x CDs)

----------------------
"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
>> Philip K. wrote:
>> > Is there a way to change the date of a file? If not, how can I keep
the
>> > original date after I modify a file and save it under a new name?
>>
>> This is one of the reasons I still depend on DOS Navigator
>> (http://ndn.muxe.com/index.php) to do things easily that Windows just
>> /can't/. You can change /all/ dates/times/attributes of one file as
>> easily as a thousand, selecting it/them and pressing <ALT-E>. Anything
>> you change is changed in all of them. (BTW, don't expect to figure out
>> /everything/ it can do the first year. <G>)
>
> Mmh. DOS ***never*** had a tool to modify file dates, even
> you appear to think so, and Windows does not have one either.
> Both require a third-party tool such as Navigator.

date 26/2/1980
time 12:00
copy /b file.txt+,,

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message news:%23oCT$t9cFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> The OP asked for a tool to change the datestamp of a file,
> not to set it to "now". The DOS method offers only a tiny
> subset of what a proper touch tool offers, namely to set
> the date stamp to any date and any time.
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Dos has always been able to change a file date to NOW.
>
> From Dos 6.2 Help file (supplied with windows 9x CDs)
>
> Changing the time and date of a file
>
> If you want to assign the current time and date to a file without modifying
> the file, use a command in the following format. The commas indicate the
> omission of the destination parameter.
>
> copy /b source+,,

> ----------------------
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
> the
>>>
>>> This is one of the reasons I still depend on DOS Navigator
>>> (http://ndn.muxe.com/index.php) to do things easily that Windows just
>>> /can't/. You can change /all/ dates/times/attributes of one file as
>>> easily as a thousand, selecting it/them and pressing <ALT-E>. Anything
>>> you change is changed in all of them. (BTW, don't expect to figure out
>>> /everything/ it can do the first year. <G>)
>>
>> Mmh. DOS ***never*** had a tool to modify file dates, even
>> you appear to think so, and Windows does not have one either.
>> Both require a third-party tool such as Navigator.

Why are you surprised that your hand gets bitten? You bite first.
1. I don't like fries.
2. People can ask for additional info whether you like it or not.
3. People will read and respond to all posts whether you like it or not.
4. So what if your post came in first? Don't bite if you can not stand
being bitten back.
Just be thankful that the CANDY man did not start another of his rounds of
obscene posts with you.

> It always fascinates me when I see someone bite the
> hands that feeds him. It makes me wonder what he's
> trying to achieve.
>

> "Philip K." <Philip@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Read the entire string before you sound off. You poison the air.
>>

>> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
>> >I gave you one in my first reply, plus the search string
>> > you could type into a Google search field. Would you
>> > like fries with that?
>> >

>> > "Philip K." <Philip@aol.com> wrote in message

>> > the

Dooh, I didn't think of that! At the same time it is clear
why multi-tasking OSs are not suitable for this type of
operation. It consists of three steps:
1. Set the date/time to some artificial value.
2. Modify the file's date stamp.
3. Restore the date/time to its correct value.

Apart from it being rather clumsy, there is every chance
that some other running process picks up the wrong
date/time in between steps 1 and 3, having undersirable
or disastrous consequences. For example, the Task
Scheduler might cut in and start a tape backup, or
a scheduled restart might be triggered at the wrong
time. A proper "touch" tool avoids all of these traps.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
date 26/2/1980
time 12:00
copy /b file.txt+,,

----------------------
"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> The OP asked for a tool to change the datestamp of a file,
> not to set it to "now". The DOS method offers only a tiny
> subset of what a proper touch tool offers, namely to set
> the date stamp to any date and any time.
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Dos has always been able to change a file date to NOW.
>
> From Dos 6.2 Help file (supplied with windows 9x CDs)
>
> Changing the time and date of a file
>
> If you want to assign the current time and date to a file without
modifying
> the file, use a command in the following format. The commas indicate the
> omission of the destination parameter.
>
> copy /b source+,,

> ----------------------
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
> the
>>>
>>> This is one of the reasons I still depend on DOS Navigator
>>> (http://ndn.muxe.com/index.php) to do things easily that Windows just
>>> /can't/. You can change /all/ dates/times/attributes of one file as
>>> easily as a thousand, selecting it/them and pressing <ALT-E>. Anything
>>> you change is changed in all of them. (BTW, don't expect to figure out
>>> /everything/ it can do the first year. <G>)
>>
>> Mmh. DOS ***never*** had a tool to modify file dates, even
>> you appear to think so, and Windows does not have one either.
>> Both require a third-party tool such as Navigator.

Philip,

'Did a google search and cam up with this:

http://www.12ghosts.com/ghosts/filedate.htm

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"Philip K." <Philip@aol.com> wrote in message
> Read the entire string before you sound off. You poison the air.
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
>>I gave you one in my first reply, plus the search string
>> you could type into a Google search field. Would you
>> like fries with that?
>>

>> "Philip K." <Philip@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> Well, can you name a few?
>>>

>>> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message

>> the

You seem to miss the point. Respondents in this newsgroup
are volunteers who give some of their time to assist other
people. In turn they expect that OPs will put in some effort
of their own when pointed in the right direction. You
appeared to be unwilling to do this, or perhaps you found
the replies insufficiently detailed. If so then a polite
request for clarification would have been appropriate.
Abusing respondents tends to turn them off.

> Why are you surprised that your hand gets bitten? You bite first.
> 1. I don't like fries.
> 2. People can ask for additional info whether you like it or not.
> 3. People will read and respond to all posts whether you like it or not.
> 4. So what if your post came in first? Don't bite if you can not stand
> being bitten back.
> Just be thankful that the CANDY man did not start another of his rounds of
> obscene posts with you.
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> > It always fascinates me when I see someone bite the
> > hands that feeds him. It makes me wonder what he's
> > trying to achieve.
> >

> > "Philip K." <Philip@aol.com> wrote in message
> >> Read the entire string before you sound off. You poison the air.
> >>

> >> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

Thanks for the info. However, it's beginning to look hopeless. Windows
screws up the dates whenever I copy, move, or even open a file. Half of my
files have dates modified earlier than date created.
Thanks again.

"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
> Philip,
>
> 'Did a google search and cam up with this:
>
> http://www.12ghosts.com/ghosts/filedate.htm
>
> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA
>

> "Philip K." <Philip@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Read the entire string before you sound off. You poison the air.
>>

>> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
>>>I gave you one in my first reply, plus the search string
>>> you could type into a Google search field. Would you
>>> like fries with that?
>>>

>>> "Philip K." <Philip@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> the

That's normal to have dates created after date modified. They are different dates.

Zip files store date modified only. If you unzip it then it keeps it's modified date but as it is being created in the file system in is new so has the date of now for create.

If you copy a file it is a new file so has a create date of now but keeps it's modified date. If you move a file it keeps both create and modified.

Programs have some responsibility. A common way to save a file is to write a new file under a temporary name, then delete the original file, then rename temp file to the original file name. The program must also copy the times correctly as it will have a create and modified date as now as it really is a new file..

Access dates are different. Many processes open files to just look (like Search or thumbnail generation). These programs that don't access a file on the users intent are responsible for fixing the last access date as if the file hasn't been accessed after they have done whatever. The purpose is for the user's last access not the operating system's so they can find docs I viewed last saturday..