Trouble Running Windows, Keep getting error message.

Hi there. Just recently, whenever I start up windows, I get an error message
saying "windows has suffered a sever error, etc.." and eveytime I close it,
it "reopens" windows explorer (not internet explorer). It has something to do
with Explorer because when I checked in the more details button on the error,
it said the problem was explorer.exe. I was wondering how I could fix this
because it is really hard to use the computer with this error continuing to
pop up. I've adaware and spybot, etc. but still nothing has work. please
help!!!
2 answers Last reply
More about trouble running windows error message

    Marcel wrote:

    > Hi there. Just recently, whenever I start up windows, I get an error
    > message saying "windows has suffered a sever error, etc.." and
    > eveytime I close it, it "reopens" windows explorer (not internet
    > explorer). It has something to do with Explorer because when I checked
    > in the more details button on the error, it said the problem was
    > explorer.exe. I was wondering how I could fix this because it is
    > really hard to use the computer with this error continuing to pop up.
    > I've adaware and spybot, etc. but still nothing has work. please
    > help!!!

    Unfortunately, this could be caused by either software or hardware.
    There isn't any way to tell from the little information in your post.
    Explorer.exe is the graphical user interface of Windows. Did you
    recently install anything? Make any changes?

    Here are general troubleshooting steps. If you want more focused help,
    you'll need to tell us a lot more about your machine and the problem.

    For software issues - First check for malware after deleting all
    Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. For IE's Temporary Files, go to
    Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab. You'll see where you can
    delete cookies and files. For Firefox, clear its cache by going to
    Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache> Clear. For Windows Temporary files,
    Start>Run cleanmgr [enter]. Then follow these detailed malware removal
    steps, doing everything with updated tools in Safe Mode. You can find
    all the steps and links to referenced programs and sites on my website
    here:

    For hardware issues -

    1) Open the computer and run it open, cleaning out all dust bunnies and
    observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing). Obviously
    you can't do this with a laptop, but you can hear if the fan is running
    and feel if the laptop is getting too hot.

    2) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
    have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
    download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
    the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
    need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
    download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
    In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
    immediately. Let the test run for an extended period of time - unless
    errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

    3) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Usually
    you will download the file and make a bootable floppy with it. Boot
    with the media and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical
    errors, replace it.

    4) The power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for the devices
    you have in the system. The adequacy issue doesn't really apply to a
    laptop, although of course the power
    supply can be faulty.

    5) Test the motherboard with something like TuffTest from
    www.tufftest.com. Sometimes this is useful, and sometimes it isn't.

    Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts
    with known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
    uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a professional
    computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    While this should only apply to pre-SP1 systems, the Workaround may be your solution.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317277
    You receive a "System Has Recovered from a Serious Error" message after every restart

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Marcel" <Marcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5F2BB5B2-8558-4B6E-8909-C9B002B8E020@microsoft.com...
    > Hi there. Just recently, whenever I start up windows, I get an error message
    > saying "windows has suffered a sever error, etc.." and eveytime I close it,
    > it "reopens" windows explorer (not internet explorer). It has something to do
    > with Explorer because when I checked in the more details button on the error,
    > it said the problem was explorer.exe. I was wondering how I could fix this
    > because it is really hard to use the computer with this error continuing to
    > pop up. I've adaware and spybot, etc. but still nothing has work. please
    > help!!!

Windows Explorer Internet Explorer Explorer Error Message Windows XP