Sign in with
Your question

two questions

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Memory
January 20, 2004 9:19:45 PM

First off i was wondering if it's worth investing in 500 or 550 mhz Ram (i will be buying a p4 3.0 as well) it cost about 140US more (at the site i was looking at, I can only buy from Australian sites) than 400mhz so obviously i'd like to know it's worth the money and i'll be able to get my FSB fast enough without investing in a water cooling system or something

Secondly I've been wondering about memory overclocking, since good corsiar memory comes with heatsinks and it's reffered too as great overclocking memory it seems a waste not to do it but i've never had any experience with overclocking anything and while i'm a little familiar with the technical aspects of overclocking CPU's etc i know nothing about memory, is it risky and how much can you overclock by stabily (say on a 400 or 500 mhz system)

If anyone could answer either of these that would be great

Thanx

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
Douglas Noel Adams 1952-2002

More about : questions

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2004 2:38:53 AM

P4 2.8C is dropping to current 2.6C pricing on Feb 1. I'd suggest that as a cost saving measure if you plan on overclocking.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 21, 2004 2:59:18 AM

I'm not terribly worried about the cost difference i'm already going to be short of what i was going to spend on the computer anyhow and i imagine you can clock a 3.0 higher than you can a 2.8 so i'd get better results with it, however it will be a week or so before i find out exactly how much i can spend (parents are great like that ^_^) if it's lower than expected i may end up waiting the extra week or two (it might take a little bit for the price drop to translate on australian sites not sure never timed it before ^_^) and then get a 2.8 depends on how much i can spend....guess i could always go the 2.8 and spend the extra 150 or so on other stuff, not sure what else i can get for that though i'm kinda gonna have everything i need without spending huge amounts more to get watercooling or 9800XT or something like that....it's currently gonna cost me 315 US to get a 3.0

but if the extra cash isn't going to be much of a problem is the extra 200mhz worth it?

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2004 5:17:02 AM

Well, let me put it this way, 2x the price of the 2.6C, for a 12% increase in performance. Intel pricing always favors their "mainstream" product. So is it worth it? I suppose it is if you have enough money.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 21, 2004 12:16:50 PM

out of curiousity i assume by 2.6c you mean a 2.6 p4 not a celeron or do you mean a celeron. Unfortunatly i haven't been using these forums long enough to know the abbreviations

January 21, 2004 12:18:51 PM

btw before we get wayyyy off topic could someone please answer the original question pretty please ^_^

January 21, 2004 12:30:26 PM

Corsair memory's are very good but if you want to overclock your memory's I'd sugest you try OCZ memory's - they have higher oc potential. So no it's not worth buying 550MHz as you can overclock the 500MHz model. I've red of a guy that oc'd his OCZ 500MHz memory's to over 600MHz duno how stable his system was.

Sory for the bad english
January 21, 2004 1:03:50 PM

Hey thanx for the answer

I've been looking for OCZ everywhere there is only 1 shop in Australia that advertises it on it's website!!!(and they only have PC-3200) but supposedly several others deal in it according to a link from OCZ's website i've just got to call these places tomorrow morning and actually find out wether they can get OCZ memory in, if they can i'll find out how much if it isn't very different to the 2x512 4000PRO for Corsair i'll get it, the Corsair costs around 460 US at the moment from what i've seen

plus what sort of cooling system do you need to get a FSB to 1200 for 600mhz RAM??

January 21, 2004 1:08:40 PM

OCZ memory's have <insert material> heatspreader. i think it could cope with the Temp generated...

Sory for the bad english
January 21, 2004 1:15:03 PM

i was actually referring to the FSB of the motherboard as to wether it could handle being overclocked too 1200 (on a P4) and if it could what sort of cooling system it would require, because water cooling is a little out of my price range for the benefits, i'd prefer to stick to heatsinks and fans

Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2004 2:17:05 PM

Its not really possible to have conventionnal cooling with a 1.2ghz fsb and a P4 3.0.
If you do some math, take 3000mhz divide it by the fsb 3000/200 =15 thats your multiplier.
Now if you put some DDR500 oced at 600(if it can be done..)you get a 300mhz fsb. 15X300=4.5ghz.
I doubt you could run ur CPU as such speed with regular cooling.
Thats why id recommand buying a 2.6c so like that you could have a stable 1ghz FSB with a CPU running at 3.2ghz all that with conventionnal cooling and you might be able to reach higher speed if you start pumping the FSB over 250.
The other option would be to run the memory asynchronously with the CPU but youll loose to much performance...
I dont know if I made it clear enough but you should save some money on the CPU because with a 3.0 you have less overclocking potential.
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2004 4:37:04 PM

Let's use the P4 2.4 as an example:
2.4A has "400MHz" bus, which is Quad Data Rate at 100MHz clock
2.4B has "533MHz" bus, which is Quad Data Rate at 133MHz clock
2.4C has "800MHz" bus, which is Quad Data Rate at 200MHz clock

So the C stands for the bus speed, not "Celeron". P4's perform over 50% better than Celerons based on them.

All P4 "C" processors have Hyperthreading. The 2.6GHz processor was available as a 2.60A, 2.66B, 2.60C. Higher bus speed and Hyperthreading being performance features, I mentioned the 2.6C specifically for this reason.

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2004 4:45:39 PM

Back to the original question: Buying faster memory is only justified if you are using high bus speeds. A 3.0C will go perhaps 3.5GHz on good air cooling. That would be 233MHz bus, using DDR466 (or faster) RAM. DDR466 is called PC3700.

Now, the 2.8C can also go around 3.5GHz on good air cooling, but would do so at 250MHz FSB, using DDR500, aka PC4000.

So if you're using a 2.8C, you really don't need anything faster than DDR500 to overclock the crap out of it. If you're using a 3.0C, you really don't need anything faster than DDR466 to overclock the crap out of it.

January 21, 2004 7:48:40 PM

Hey

Thanx for all the info

Yeah i did understand the 800 hyperthreading part i just didn't realise that's what the c reference meant

Also i know that clocking up the FSB increases the clockspeed of the CPU but from what i thought you could lower the multiplier increase the FSB and find a balance so you can have a high FSB but still only have CPU speeds of between 3300-3600??

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2004 9:06:36 PM

The multiplier is locked. You should pick memory that can support the bus speed needed to achieve a certain clock speed. For example, a 2.8C at 3500MHz would use PC4000 speed to run synchronously. A 3.0C would use PC3700 speed RAM to run 3.5GHz synchronously. OCZ PC3700 is known to reach PC4000 speed and could save you some money if PC4000 is indicated.

January 21, 2004 9:09:38 PM

k thanx a lot for that

i might end up going for a 2.8 after all..sounds like it could end up faster...

so there's no way to unlock the multiplier?

January 21, 2004 9:10:22 PM

hang on didn't tomshardware do a review where they clocked the FSB of a p4 to 1000 but kept it at 3.0???

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2004 10:03:17 PM

None, unless you can find an engineering sample floating around.

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2004 10:03:58 PM

Tom's gets Engineering samples!

January 21, 2004 10:07:58 PM

ahhh....bugger....well thanx for all the help....might end up going for a 2.8 just so i can get the faster ram i'll get 3700 and overclock it, my system is going to be about a cold as an fan based can get i think considering how many damn fans will be in the thing

Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2004 2:04:23 AM

That was a P4c 2.4ghz 12X250=3000...
The 2.6 reached 3.2 with DDR500.
!