Sign in with
Your question

Stage 2 SATA

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 20, 2004 10:46:28 PM

Does anyone know when stage 2 or faze 2 SATA will be out? When will Maxtor be coming out with an internal HDD that will support SATA stage 2 or faze 2.

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b>

More about : stage sata

January 21, 2004 3:32:34 AM

Why do you care?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 21, 2004 11:15:49 AM

Crash,
Good question. I don't know why or if I should care to be honest, but then again why not? Having scrambled eggs for brains as far as computers are concerned plus i'm getting tired from bouncing off the wall over all this, I figured that since I will be installing a new HDD into a new case build for my use and not one for profit, I would go with the latest, bestest and newest thinking in regards this build which includes the HDD & SATA. Obviously you forgot more than I could ever dream of knowing about computers, so keep it light. I'm getting ready for the rubber room, gotta go, thanks........Vista

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vista on 01/21/04 08:59 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 21, 2004 12:33:04 PM

Ok thanks, I will. My uneducated thinking on my deal is this. My build includes a mobo that supports two SATA ports, a PSU that is SATA ready, I don't have a HDD as it is so why not get a SATA HDD. I spoke with someone at Seagate and they told me that thay are fazing out their first generation SATA HDD's for the newer second generation version. But I also red something to the effect that Seagate is on the slow side as compared to say Maxtor. Seems that SATA and it's 3 projected versions are meant to improve old thinking HDD's. Seeing that I don't have any HDD at the moment why would I want to buy old thinking when I can buy new thinking. My problem is that it seems that SATA is in the process of changing over from generation 1 to generation 2 and I don't know who has what. I'm not an ace in this department and have to rely on the experts here. If I have to buy a HDD I think I should buy the latest even if it may not be as good at the moment as the old stuff.........

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 21, 2004 12:49:05 PM

Bimber,
I read the link, thanks. That's what I was referring to. I guess that's the answer as to why. Now I need to know who has it in it's full version. Seems Seagate does but I don't know if Seagates deal is the full whammy.........

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vista on 01/21/04 09:50 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 21, 2004 4:28:51 PM

The reason I ask is because the mechnical parts of the drives will continue to limit performance to sub-SATA150 levels for the next few years.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 21, 2004 6:45:09 PM

Crash,
I was in contact with Maxtor today and they told me that their second generation SATA HDD will be out late Q2. If what you say is correct and I don't doubt you, why would Maxtor come out with a new second generation SATA HDD if it wasn't any better than what they already had?.......

January 21, 2004 7:54:27 PM

The same reason Nvidia released the Ti4800...because then maxtor will get to use the new 'SATA2!' buzzword.People will run out and buy the new SATA2! hard drives because they think because there's a 2 next to the name it must be twice as good. When in reality is exactly the same drive as the PATA version with a nice little SATA connector.

[Insert witty comment here]
January 21, 2004 8:52:12 PM

The second standard supports more features that most of us can't use, but the main reason companies will release for it isn't those features, but marketing. Same reason we have ATA133 for drives that barely need ATA66, and AGP8x for video cards that barely use AGP4x.

January 21, 2004 10:10:37 PM

Don't confuse what manufacturer's might refer to as "second generation" SATA with SATA II. The SATA II standard doesn't exist yet and won't do for a while. The reason why companies are making changes to their hardware is because early implementations of SATA were not full implementations but bridges between SATA and old ATA100 interfaces. SATA is not swapping to SATA II in the forseeable future. In any event, there is not performance difference between the SATA and PATA interface so there is no need to worry about it right now.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:
January 22, 2004 5:50:08 AM

The seagate drives dont use bridges, they are pure SATA drives.

[Insert witty comment here]
!