PC Crashing during some (high spec) games

Annihilator

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2005

hi, i recently bought a new computer and i have been playing a lot of new
games on it (halflife2,raven shield etc). The game runs fine but then it wil
just suddenly crash for no apparent reason and i have to restart the machine.
im not totally sure what is causing it but i think it may be temperature
related.

i have some temperature displays on my case and it usually crashes at around
30 degrees C on the cpu monitor. i have 4 case fans and an exhaust blower in
my system. The exhaust blower is directly under my gfx card (it only has a
big heatsink on it) since i am thinking it is maybe the component that is
overheating.

PC Spec:
3200+xp
2x512mb Corsair XMS PL pc3200
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 128mb
SB Audigy 2 ZS
ASUS A7V880

please help!!

thanks

Annihilator

Hi,

Hardware issues can cause freezing, black screens and other
errors. Also, your drivers should always be kept up to date.

Try the following steps one at a time to try and resolve the issue.
I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any questions! :)

1. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk

2. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
Use this Motherboard Monitor Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com

3. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to check the
wattage sticker on your power supply and then calculate your need
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ (Min. 350 for gaming)

4. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User