Quotation Mark Problem

June 14, 2005 3:53:03 AM

When I type a quotation mark(") in Office, Wordpad, Notepad, Outlook Express,
Internet Explorer etc. it doesn't appear until I type the next character.
Particularly annoying with closing quotation marks where you have to press
space bar twice, once to show the quotation mark then again to show the
space.

Also when I type the quotation mark followed by any vowel, two dots appear
over the letter eg. ö or ä. I am using English(Australia) as the region and
lanuage setting. I have seen this problem on other PC's and other versions of
Windows.

More about : quotation mark problem

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:45:32 PM

In news:AA840A48-25E9-439A-9EF9-9F07519CB897@microsoft.com,
Markham30 <Markham30@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> When I type a quotation mark(") in Office, Wordpad, Notepad,
> Outlook
> Express, Internet Explorer etc. it doesn't appear until I type
> the
> next character. Particularly annoying with closing quotation
> marks
> where you have to press space bar twice, once to show the
> quotation
> mark then again to show the space.
>
> Also when I type the quotation mark followed by any vowel, two
> dots
> appear over the letter eg. ö or ä. I am using
> English(Australia) as
> the region and lanuage setting. I have seen this problem on
> other
> PC's and other versions of Windows.

You're using the US-International keyboard layout, which is
provided to facilitate typing special characters like ä. This can
be turned off in Control Panel | Regional and Language Options |
Languages | Details | Settings.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 9:11:41 PM

"Markham30" <Markham30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I type a quotation mark(") in Office, Wordpad, Notepad, Outlook
Express,
> Internet Explorer etc. it doesn't appear until I type the next character.
> Particularly annoying with closing quotation marks where you have to press
> space bar twice, once to show the quotation mark then again to show the
> space.
>
> Also when I type the quotation mark followed by any vowel, two dots appear
> over the letter eg. ö or ä. I am using English(Australia) as the region
and
> lanuage setting. I have seen this problem on other PC's and other versions
of
> Windows.

Press the six control keys (left Alt, Ctrl, Shift, right Alt, Ctrl, Shift),
one at a time, and your keyboard will probably reset itself to its
normal mode of operation.
June 14, 2005 11:09:02 PM

Thank you Ken, that fixed the problem. Much appreciated.

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:AA840A48-25E9-439A-9EF9-9F07519CB897@microsoft.com,
> Markham30 <Markham30@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > When I type a quotation mark(") in Office, Wordpad, Notepad,
> > Outlook
> > Express, Internet Explorer etc. it doesn't appear until I type
> > the
> > next character. Particularly annoying with closing quotation
> > marks
> > where you have to press space bar twice, once to show the
> > quotation
> > mark then again to show the space.
> >
> > Also when I type the quotation mark followed by any vowel, two
> > dots
> > appear over the letter eg. ö or ä. I am using
> > English(Australia) as
> > the region and lanuage setting. I have seen this problem on
> > other
> > PC's and other versions of Windows.
>

> You're using the US-International keyboard layout, which is
> provided to facilitate typing special characters like ä. This can
> be turned off in Control Panel | Regional and Language Options |
> Languages | Details | Settings.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:56:26 PM

In news:F5EB4AE4-3AD5-4FA5-905E-194E89A04240@microsoft.com,
Markham30 <Markham30@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Thank you Ken, that fixed the problem. Much appreciated.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

--
Ken Blake

!