can not start my laptop! help!!!

after installing windows XP on my system, while windows 98 was still os, the
laptop when i start it says:

"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system\hal.dll. please re-install a copy of the above file"

the whole comes up with balck screen, like dos. please let me know where i
get these file from and how can i install these file to get my laptop running
again? thank you for you help!
1 answer Last reply
More about start laptop help

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b320252
    Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because the Following File Is Missing or
    Corrupt...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b307654
    How to Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

    Error Message: Cannot Find \Windows\System32\hal.dll
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm
    Also see http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm for troubleshooting issues with HAL
    (Hardware Abstraction Layer).

    "brakspear" <brakspear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > after installing windows XP on my system, while windows 98 was still os, the
    > laptop when i start it says:
    >
    > "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    > <Windows root>\system\hal.dll. please re-install a copy of the above file"
    >
    > the whole comes up with balck screen, like dos. please let me know where i
    > get these file from and how can i install these file to get my laptop running
    > again? thank you for you help!

Laptops Windows XP