can not start my laptop! help!!!

after installing windows XP on my system, while windows 98 was still os, the
laptop when i start it says:

"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system\hal.dll. please re-install a copy of the above file"

the whole comes up with balck screen, like dos. please let me know where i
get these file from and how can i install these file to get my laptop running
again? thank you for you help!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b320252
Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because the Following File Is Missing or
Corrupt...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b307654
How to Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Error Message: Cannot Find \Windows\System32\hal.dll
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm
Also see http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm for troubleshooting issues with HAL
(Hardware Abstraction Layer).