Need Some Help In Picking a Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey guys!

I'm looking to sell my new desktop that I built and buy a laptop because I'll be leaving the country soon. Problem is, I have no idea where to start when it comes to finding a laptop.

I've kinda decided on some things that I want, though they aren't too specific. I'm looking for something that will play World of Warcraft, and Source engine games, like CS:S and HL2, with decent framerate, even if it has to be on lowest settings hehe. I'd like 2gb of RAM, and a dual core processor. I kinda want to stick witha 15.4" display, because I don't want it to be too bulky. I will also want to have Wifi access. My budget will be between $900 and $1300 roughly.

I've seen some laptops that I think could manage this, but I have no idea what prices are good prices, or what brands are good brands. Any help here would be great!

He wants a 15.4'' system, the E1705 is 17. I think the Dell Vostro 1500 and Inspiron 1520 would be cheap enough. Also check the HP DV6500t.

G

Are refurbished laptops reliable? I worry about buying used electronics, but have never done so. How good is it?

And, I could deal with a 17" display.. I am just under the impression its going to make it much more bulky, and cost way more. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I'm gonna check them out.

I bought a used desktop from Dell about 2 or so years ago and it still works.

Bulky, yes you are in most cases correct. Cost, not always or if it is, it's not that huge of a difference. Comparing the I1720 and 1520, the price difference is about 200 bucks, so it's not that huge of a difference.

ibleet

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Refurbed notebooks from Dell are reliable. They offer the same warranty on the refurbs that they offer on the new ones.

I love my E1705 with its 17" display. I would never go back to a small display after this one. I also have a Compaq nx9005 with a 14.1" display. The Dell is a little heavier sure, but it sure is worth it after seeing the huge difference in the display and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.