Hard Drive, Optical Drive, Mobo Question

jlauer

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
Ok, here goes...

I have 3 hard drives and 2 optical drives...

I need to put them all into a new system.

If I go with the Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Mobo I will have no problems, it has support for 8 IDE Channels

If I go with the Abit IC7-Max3 Mobo I will have to pop in my old PROMISE ULTRA66 Controller.
If I do that I will be putting only the optical drives on the PROMISE Controller, the Hard Drives will all go on the ONBOARD IDE Controllers.

My question is this. If i use the PROMISE ULTRA66 with the IC7-Max3 how will it effect performance of the optical drives?
(The optical drives are a Plextor PX-708A 8X DVD+/-RW and a Pioneer DVD-120S.)

I do alot of CD and DVD Ripping and Burning.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
It won't, ATAPI devices operate in ATA33 mode at the maximum.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

jlauer

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
I guess i was not refering to the native transfer rate as i was refering to the fact that the ULTRA66 controller would not be ONboard but rather stuck in a PCI slot... would that cause any performace issues when ripping DVD or CD...

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
No, none. Your onboard controller is connected into the same PCI bus.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your PCI slot supports 133MB/s. Your card supports 66MB/s. Your optical drives support less than 10MB/s. Performance of these drives therefore won't be affected.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, I should also add that the additional controller on the Gigabyte board is also a PCI device, the same as your add in card (only ATA133 instead of ATA66, which makes no difference on optical drives).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>