SEEKING icon restorer for XP system tray

I run WinXP/SP1. Is there some utility which will restore icons
which have disappeared from the system tray ("notification area")?

I do not want to use the option for "Hide Inactive Icons" in the
properties menu for Start/Toolbar.

Thanks
Franklin

-------

BTW this is how I am restoring system tray icons at the moment:

(1) Kill the application which owns the icon and then relaunching the
application.

(2) Once in a while I find I can restore the system tray icon by
running Process Explorer from System Internals or XP's Task Manager
and using their "Bring To Front" option.
6 answers Last reply
More about seeking icon restorer system tray

    Have you tried customizing the icons?

    - Right click the Task bar
    - Click Properties
    - Next to Hide Inactive Icons, click Customize
    You can view Past Hidden Icons and Icons you currently have displayed and
    let you choose what to do when they pop up.

    bob

    "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
    > I run WinXP/SP1. Is there some utility which will restore icons
    > which have disappeared from the system tray ("notification area")?
    >
    > I do not want to use the option for "Hide Inactive Icons" in the
    > properties menu for Start/Toolbar.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Franklin
    >
    > -------
    >

    > BTW this is how I am restoring system tray icons at the moment:
    >
    > (1) Kill the application which owns the icon and then relaunching the
    > application.
    >
    > (2) Once in a while I find I can restore the system tray icon by
    > running Process Explorer from System Internals or XP's Task Manager
    > and using their "Bring To Front" option.

    Unfortunately customizing the icons only seems to work if I select
    the HIDE option. Do you know of a way around this?

    On Wed 15 Jun 2005 05:17:18, bob wrote:

    > Have you tried customizing the icons?
    >
    > - Right click the Task bar
    > - Click Properties
    > - Next to Hide Inactive Icons, click Customize
    > You can view Past Hidden Icons and Icons you currently have
    > displayed and let you choose what to do when they pop up.
    >
    > bob
    >
    > "Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> I run WinXP/SP1. Is there some utility which will restore
    >> icons which have disappeared from the system tray
    >> ("notification area")?
    >>
    >> I do not want to use the option for "Hide Inactive Icons" in
    >> the properties menu for Start/Toolbar.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Franklin
    >>
    >> -------
    >>

    >> BTW this is how I am restoring system tray icons at the moment:
    >>
    >> (1) Kill the application which owns the icon and then
    >> relaunching the application.
    >>
    >> (2) Once in a while I find I can restore the system tray icon
    >> by running Process Explorer from System Internals or XP's Task
    >> Manager and using their "Bring To Front" option.

    look here for possibilites

    Logging out and logging back in works for me Its a pain having to do this
    every time you start up but it will load all the icons, I was told there is
    no fix for this problem and that they don't know what causes it to happen, It
    only started to happen after updating

    "Franklin" wrote:

    > I run WinXP/SP1. Is there some utility which will restore icons
    > which have disappeared from the system tray ("notification area")?
    >
    > I do not want to use the option for "Hide Inactive Icons" in the
    > properties menu for Start/Toolbar.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Franklin
    >
    > -------
    >

    > BTW this is how I am restoring system tray icons at the moment:
    >
    > (1) Kill the application which owns the icon and then relaunching the
    > application.
    >
    > (2) Once in a while I find I can restore the system tray icon by
    > running Process Explorer from System Internals or XP's Task Manager
    > and using their "Bring To Front" option.

    Someone reckoned they found the cause (I don't have the problem so can't confirm).

    <Quote>
    I have found fix for the missing XP tray Icons on the home page of
    Tech-pro.net. The solution worked for me just fine as suggested on the web
    site which was to disable the UPNP using the provided reg file UPNPOFF.REG.
    But that got me thinking that it must be something that does this other then
    UPNP and I found the actual culprit. This is really dumb but it worked. Open
    My Network Placers and click on the "Hide icon for networked UPnP devices"
    located in the Network Task area of this window. If there is "Show icons for
    networked devices" in this location instead then the problem must be
    someplace else.
    --
    Pavel
    </Quote>

    "Chewy" <Chewy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E79E2BE-8035-45DC-9B3D-742F845BA88E@microsoft.com...
    > Logging out and logging back in works for me Its a pain having to do this
    > every time you start up but it will load all the icons, I was told there is
    > no fix for this problem and that they don't know what causes it to happen, It
    > only started to happen after updating
    >
    > "Franklin" wrote:
    >
    >> I run WinXP/SP1. Is there some utility which will restore icons
    >> which have disappeared from the system tray ("notification area")?
    >>
    >> I do not want to use the option for "Hide Inactive Icons" in the
    >> properties menu for Start/Toolbar.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Franklin
    >>
    >> -------
    >>

    >> BTW this is how I am restoring system tray icons at the moment:
    >>
    >> (1) Kill the application which owns the icon and then relaunching the
    >> application.
    >>
    >> (2) Once in a while I find I can restore the system tray icon by
    >> running Process Explorer from System Internals or XP's Task Manager
    >> and using their "Bring To Front" option.

    To David C... Hiding the icons in my network places worked, not sure why,
    but it loads all the icons now from the first start up. Thanks for the tip

    "Franklin" wrote:

    > I run WinXP/SP1. Is there some utility which will restore icons
    > which have disappeared from the system tray ("notification area")?
    >
    > I do not want to use the option for "Hide Inactive Icons" in the
    > properties menu for Start/Toolbar.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Franklin
    >
    > -------
    >

    > BTW this is how I am restoring system tray icons at the moment:
    >
    > (1) Kill the application which owns the icon and then relaunching the
    > application.
    >
    > (2) Once in a while I find I can restore the system tray icon by
    > running Process Explorer from System Internals or XP's Task Manager
    > and using their "Bring To Front" option.

Icons Microsoft Windows XP