"always allow" sites' cookies continue to be blocked?

June 14, 2005 8:48:53 AM

Hello,
I have added several sites related to games, stocks, etc., to the "always
allowed" list in Tools > Internet Options > Privacy. Their domains (e.g.
eqrankings.com, ameritrade.com, etc.) are noted with a checkmark by
"Always Accept Cookies From This Site" when I examine the context menu in
the Privacy Report. This is where it's telling me automatic cookie
handling has blocked this cookie.
I really do want cookies from these sites to be retained. Really. These
sites have been manually listed and flagged from my 1st visits to them. IE
has been closed, the computer rebooted, etc., and yet still it has the
"red eye" with my report showing it's blocked my cookies upon my visit...
What am I missing here folks, if anyone knows? How do I convince IE that
the "always allow" list is sincere?
Thank you in advance,
Joel

June 14, 2005 10:22:16 AM

Joel wrote:

> Hello,
> I have added several sites related to games, stocks, etc., to the
> "always allowed" list in Tools > Internet Options > Privacy. Their
> domains (e.g. eqrankings.com, ameritrade.com, etc.) are noted with a
> checkmark by "Always Accept Cookies From This Site" when I examine the
> context menu in the Privacy Report. This is where it's telling me
> automatic cookie handling has blocked this cookie.
> I really do want cookies from these sites to be retained. Really.
> These sites have been manually listed and flagged from my 1st visits
> to them. IE has been closed, the computer rebooted, etc., and yet
> still it has the "red eye" with my report showing it's blocked my
> cookies upon my visit... What am I missing here folks, if anyone
> knows? How do I convince IE that the "always allow" list is sincere?
> Thank you in advance,
> Joel

Check and see if you have third-party software running that protects IE,
like Spybot Search & Destroy's immunize feature for instance. Or if you
have an Internet security suite and some option enabled there.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Thank you for the tips. I checked Spybot and Ad-Watch and they're not
blocking the cookies. I verified the symptom with both uninstalled earlier
too.
This has been IE's behavior since at least fall '03 (I first began using
ameritrade.com). The only inconvenience is that I routinely have to close
all instances of IE and relaunch it when it begins blocking the cookies
(red "eye" in the status bar listing the "blocked" cookies).
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 06:22:16 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com> wrote:

> Joel wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I have added several sites related to games, stocks, etc., to the
>> "always allowed" list in Tools > Internet Options > Privacy. Their
>> domains (e.g. eqrankings.com, ameritrade.com, etc.) are noted with a
>> checkmark by "Always Accept Cookies From This Site" when I examine the
>> context menu in the Privacy Report. This is where it's telling me
>> automatic cookie handling has blocked this cookie.
>> I really do want cookies from these sites to be retained. Really.
>> These sites have been manually listed and flagged from my 1st visits
>> to them. IE has been closed, the computer rebooted, etc., and yet
>> still it has the "red eye" with my report showing it's blocked my
>> cookies upon my visit... What am I missing here folks, if anyone
>> knows? How do I convince IE that the "always allow" list is sincere?
>> Thank you in advance,
>> Joel
>>

> Check and see if you have third-party software running that protects IE,
> like Spybot Search & Destroy's immunize feature for instance. Or if you
> have an Internet security suite and some option enabled there.
>
> Malke

June 14, 2005 2:36:57 PM

Joel wrote:

> Thank you for the tips. I checked Spybot and Ad-Watch and they're not
> blocking the cookies. I verified the symptom with both uninstalled
> earlier too.
> This has been IE's behavior since at least fall '03 (I first began
> using ameritrade.com). The only inconvenience is that I routinely have
> to close all instances of IE and relaunch it when it begins blocking
> the cookies (red "eye" in the status bar listing the "blocked"
> cookies). On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 06:22:16 -0700, Malke
> <invalid@not-real.com> wrote:

Then I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. You should post your
question in a newsgroup specifically for Internet Explorer where you
will find experts on that program. Here's a list of all the MS
newsgroups so you can find the right one:
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

Good luck and again - I'm sorry I wasn't able to help.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 6:26:34 PM

Suggest disabling any firewall until cookies are working correctly. Make
certain your time, date, and time *zone* settings are all correct.

Managing Cookies
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283185
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm#cookies

Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299331

Error Message: Not Accepting Cookies
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175662

Error Message: Your Web Browser Options Are Currently Set to Disable
Cookies...
(covers re-setting time via command line prompt)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814141

Troubleshooting Secure Sites (WinXP/IE6 SP1)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813444
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers2.htm#secure_sites

Troubleshooting Secure Site (WinXP/IE6 SP2)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870700
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Joel wrote:
> Hello,
> I have added several sites related to games, stocks, etc., to the "always
> allowed" list in Tools > Internet Options > Privacy. Their domains (e.g.
> eqrankings.com, ameritrade.com, etc.) are noted with a checkmark by
> "Always Accept Cookies From This Site" when I examine the context menu in
> the Privacy Report. This is where it's telling me automatic cookie
> handling has blocked this cookie.
> I really do want cookies from these sites to be retained. Really. These
> sites have been manually listed and flagged from my 1st visits to them. IE
> has been closed, the computer rebooted, etc., and yet still it has the
> "red eye" with my report showing it's blocked my cookies upon my visit...
> What am I missing here folks, if anyone knows? How do I convince IE that
> the "always allow" list is sincere?
> Thank you in advance,
> Joel
June 14, 2005 7:07:42 PM

Thank you!
I'm finding what I needed in these pages.
Joel
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:26:34 -0700, PA Bear <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

> Suggest disabling any firewall until cookies are working correctly.
> Make certain your time, date, and time *zone* settings are all correct.
>
> Managing Cookies
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283185
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm#cookies
>
> Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299331
>
> Error Message: Not Accepting Cookies
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175662
>
> Error Message: Your Web Browser Options Are Currently Set to Disable
> Cookies..
> (covers re-setting time via command line prompt)
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814141
>
> Troubleshooting Secure Sites (WinXP/IE6 SP1)
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813444
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers2.htm#secure_sites
>
> Troubleshooting Secure Site (WinXP/IE6 SP2)
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870700

June 15, 2005 12:24:27 AM

Which was...?

YW.
--
~PA Bear

Joel wrote:
> Thank you!
> I'm finding what I needed in these pages.
> Joel
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:26:34 -0700, PA Bear <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Suggest disabling any firewall until cookies are working correctly.
>> Make certain your time, date, and time *zone* settings are all correct.
>>
>> Managing Cookies
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283185
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm#cookies
>>
>> Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299331
>>
>> Error Message: Not Accepting Cookies
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175662
>>
>> Error Message: Your Web Browser Options Are Currently Set to Disable
>> Cookies..
>> (covers re-setting time via command line prompt)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814141
>>
>> Troubleshooting Secure Sites (WinXP/IE6 SP1)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813444
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers2.htm#secure_sites
>>
>> Troubleshooting Secure Site (WinXP/IE6 SP2)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870700
June 15, 2005 12:24:28 AM

In addition to the Internet Options > Privacy panel, the sites must be add
to the Security panel > trusted zone. Also, to "reset" the automatic
rejection once it's occurred, you must set the cookie handling on the
privacy panel to "block all" or "accept all" (full on or off), save and
close IE. Reconfigure the privacy level when you re-start IE (or from
Control Panel > Internet Options).
Little hoops *Joel jumps through*