Saving Folder View Settings - Further

June 14, 2005 9:01:04 AM

Running windows XP Pro and networked wirelessly to a windows XP home with
admin priveleges. Both have latest service packs. Had same problem as some
past threads regarding recalling folder view settings. Followed that advice
and deleted the recommended registry lines + applied Kelly's BAG Limit fix.
Reset individual folder views/settings and these now saved OK. EXCEPT as
follows:
Through My Comp I open Drive C: and window opens at size/pos saved but does
not remember that I set VIEW/FOLDERS for a split pane.
If I then continue and expand, say, My Documents, or any other folder which
has had its view defined and saved, then close current window, the next time
I open a folder from my desk top (eg My folder, Download, etc) it opens at
the size and view settings of the "Drive C:" window. I can then reset that
window view again until I repeat steps above when it is again lost.
Any ideas on how to save the DRIVE C: window view and sub folder views from
that window so thay they dont affect previously saved folder sizes/settings?
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:05:21 PM

"RobRW" <RobRW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Running windows XP Pro and networked wirelessly to a windows XP home with
> admin priveleges. Both have latest service packs. Had same problem as some
> past threads regarding recalling folder view settings. Followed that
> advice
> and deleted the recommended registry lines + applied Kelly's BAG Limit
> fix.
> Reset individual folder views/settings and these now saved OK. EXCEPT as
> follows:
> Through My Comp I open Drive C: and window opens at size/pos saved but
> does
> not remember that I set VIEW/FOLDERS for a split pane.
> If I then continue and expand, say, My Documents, or any other folder
> which
> has had its view defined and saved, then close current window, the next
> time
> I open a folder from my desk top (eg My folder, Download, etc) it opens at
> the size and view settings of the "Drive C:" window. I can then reset that
> window view again until I repeat steps above when it is again lost.
> Any ideas on how to save the DRIVE C: window view and sub folder views
> from
> that window so thay they dont affect previously saved folder
> sizes/settings?

Why don't you continue your original thread. Starting a new one means you
have lost the history of what has happened, you may get the same suggestions
as in the other thread wasting other peoples (and your) time.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:05:22 PM

Thanks for the quick response but it was some time ago and a subject search
hasn't located the previous threads.

"Alan Smith" wrote:

> "RobRW" <RobRW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Running windows XP Pro and networked wirelessly to a windows XP home with
> > admin priveleges. Both have latest service packs. Had same problem as some
> > past threads regarding recalling folder view settings. Followed that
> > advice
> > and deleted the recommended registry lines + applied Kelly's BAG Limit
> > fix.
> > Reset individual folder views/settings and these now saved OK. EXCEPT as
> > follows:
> > Through My Comp I open Drive C: and window opens at size/pos saved but
> > does
> > not remember that I set VIEW/FOLDERS for a split pane.
> > If I then continue and expand, say, My Documents, or any other folder
> > which
> > has had its view defined and saved, then close current window, the next
> > time
> > I open a folder from my desk top (eg My folder, Download, etc) it opens at
> > the size and view settings of the "Drive C:" window. I can then reset that
> > window view again until I repeat steps above when it is again lost.
> > Any ideas on how to save the DRIVE C: window view and sub folder views
> > from
> > that window so thay they dont affect previously saved folder
> > sizes/settings?
>
> Why don't you continue your original thread. Starting a new one means you
> have lost the history of what has happened, you may get the same suggestions
> as in the other thread wasting other peoples (and your) time.

June 14, 2005 5:27:28 PM

"RobRW" <RobRW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 05B22EC-9C74-454A-95C1-691E5E9EB493@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the quick response but it was some time ago and a subject
> search
> hasn't located the previous threads.
>
> "Alan Smith" wrote:
>

>> "RobRW" <RobRW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Running windows XP Pro and networked wirelessly to a windows XP home
>> > with
>> > admin priveleges. Both have latest service packs. Had same problem as
>> > some
>> > past threads regarding recalling folder view settings. Followed that
>> > advice
>> > and deleted the recommended registry lines + applied Kelly's BAG Limit
>> > fix.
>> > Reset individual folder views/settings and these now saved OK. EXCEPT
>> > as
>> > follows:
>> > Through My Comp I open Drive C: and window opens at size/pos saved but
>> > does
>> > not remember that I set VIEW/FOLDERS for a split pane.
>> > If I then continue and expand, say, My Documents, or any other folder
>> > which
>> > has had its view defined and saved, then close current window, the next
>> > time
>> > I open a folder from my desk top (eg My folder, Download, etc) it opens
>> > at
>> > the size and view settings of the "Drive C:" window. I can then reset
>> > that
>> > window view again until I repeat steps above when it is again lost.
>> > Any ideas on how to save the DRIVE C: window view and sub folder views
>> > from
>> > that window so thay they dont affect previously saved folder
>> > sizes/settings?
>>
>> Why don't you continue your original thread. Starting a new one means you
>> have lost the history of what has happened, you may get the same
>> suggestions
>> as in the other thread wasting other peoples (and your) time.

Have you tried saving the Windows settings when they are the way you want?
(Hold the shift key down then double click the control box that is top left
of the window as if you were closing the window. The window will close.
Release the Shift key. Re-open Windows Explorer. Did that work?
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:27:29 PM

Yes I tried that. And holding down the control key while "closing" the
folder (suggestion by someone else). No change in result.

"Alan Smith" wrote:

> "RobRW" <RobRW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 05B22EC-9C74-454A-95C1-691E5E9EB493@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for the quick response but it was some time ago and a subject
> > search
> > hasn't located the previous threads.
> >
> > "Alan Smith" wrote:
> >

> >> "RobRW" <RobRW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Why don't you continue your original thread. Starting a new one means you
> >> have lost the history of what has happened, you may get the same
> >> suggestions
> >> as in the other thread wasting other peoples (and your) time.
> >>

> Have you tried saving the Windows settings when they are the way you want?
> (Hold the shift key down then double click the control box that is top left
> of the window as if you were closing the window. The window will close.
> Release the Shift key. Re-open Windows Explorer. Did that work?

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:27:30 PM

Further to my reply and specifically to A.S. response.-If I activate W.Expl.
it opens (by default) My Computer window with view/pos setting as per saved
desktop folder. If I then expand the window size with, say, LIST view and
then close the window, the desktop folder view has changed its settings to
match. Ditto for other desktop folders if accessed in this way. Otherwise ,
the desktop folders/sub folders remember their settings.

"RobRW" wrote:

> Yes I tried that. And holding down the control key while "closing" the
> folder (suggestion by someone else). No change in result.
>
> "Alan Smith" wrote:
>

> > "RobRW" <RobRW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:D 05B22EC-9C74-454A-95C1-691E5E9EB493@microsoft.com...
> > > Thanks for the quick response but it was some time ago and a subject
> > > search
> > > hasn't located the previous threads.

> > Have you tried saving the Windows settings when they are the way you want?
> > (Hold the shift key down then double click the control box that is top left
> > of the window as if you were closing the window. The window will close.
> > Release the Shift key. Re-open Windows Explorer. Did that work?

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 12:28:09 AM

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying it recalls the las
used Window size?

> Further to my reply and specifically to A.S. response.-If I activate
> W.Expl.
> it opens (by default) My Computer window with view/pos setting as per
> saved
> desktop folder. If I then expand the window size with, say, LIST view and
> then close the window, the desktop folder view has changed its settings to
> match. Ditto for other desktop folders if accessed in this way. Otherwise
> ,
> the desktop folders/sub folders remember their settings.
>
> "RobRW" wrote:
>
>> Yes I tried that. And holding down the control key while "closing" the
>> folder (suggestion by someone else). No change in result.
>>
>> "Alan Smith" wrote:
>>

>> > "RobRW" <RobRW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > news:D 05B22EC-9C74-454A-95C1-691E5E9EB493@microsoft.com...

>> > Have you tried saving the Windows settings when they are the way you
>> > want?
>> > (Hold the shift key down then double click the control box that is top
>> > left
>> > of the window as if you were closing the window. The window will close.
>> > Release the Shift key. Re-open Windows Explorer. Did that work?

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 12:28:10 AM

If I open C: folder from My Comp (icon views), it remembers next time the
last saved window view/posn with "list" setting but NOT that I had set the
view as "folders" (ie split pane).
If I open Wind Expl (which opens by default at My Docs with a window
size/pos to match that of my last saved desktop icon window view of My Docs)
and then click on C:, expand the window size to show all of the folders and
set view as "folders", and then close the window this is not rememberd next
time I enter Wind Expl. ie it still opens by default at My Docs. Nor does
this view of C: override the window size/pos/settings when opened through My
Comp.

"Alan Smith" wrote:

> I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying it recalls the las
> used Window size?
>

> "RobRW" <RobRW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Further to my reply and specifically to A.S. response.-If I activate
> > W.Expl.
> > it opens (by default) My Computer window with view/pos setting as per
> > saved
> > desktop folder. If I then expand the window size with, say, LIST view and
> > then close the window, the desktop folder view has changed its settings to
> > match. Ditto for other desktop folders if accessed in this way. Otherwise
> > ,
> > the desktop folders/sub folders remember their settings.
> >
> > "RobRW" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes I tried that. And holding down the control key while "closing" the
> >> folder (suggestion by someone else). No change in result.

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:24:07 PM

OK. Lets break the problem up into stages. I can now get W.E to default to C:
with folders view (thanks to finding some other threads).
How do I get C: icon in My Comp to remember "folders" setting when reopened
each time? (It remembers view/pos but not folders view).

"RobRW" wrote:

> If I open C: folder from My Comp (icon views), it remembers next time the
> last saved window view/posn with "list" setting but NOT that I had set the
> view as "folders" (ie split pane).
> If I open Wind Expl (which opens by default at My Docs with a window
> size/pos to match that of my last saved desktop icon window view of My Docs)
> and then click on C:, expand the window size to show all of the folders and
> set view as "folders", and then close the window this is not rememberd next
> time I enter Wind Expl. ie it still opens by default at My Docs. Nor does
> this view of C: override the window size/pos/settings when opened through My
> Comp.
>
> "Alan Smith" wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying it recalls the las
> > used Window size?
> >

> > "RobRW" <RobRW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Further to my reply and specifically to A.S. response.-If I activate
> > > W.Expl.
> > > it opens (by default) My Computer window with view/pos setting as per
> > > saved
> > > desktop folder. If I then expand the window size with, say, LIST view and
> > > then close the window, the desktop folder view has changed its settings to
> > > match. Ditto for other desktop folders if accessed in this way. Otherwise
> > > ,
> > > the desktop folders/sub folders remember their settings.

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:51:05 AM

This was the same in 98 too where you could create a shortcut to the folder
you wanted to open.
One way is to right click on the desktop, New, Shortcut. Browse to the
required location. Save the shortcut. Try it.

> OK. Lets break the problem up into stages. I can now get W.E to default to
> C:
> with folders view (thanks to finding some other threads).
> How do I get C: icon in My Comp to remember "folders" setting when
> reopened
> each time? (It remembers view/pos but not folders view).
>
> "RobRW" wrote:
>
>> If I open C: folder from My Comp (icon views), it remembers next time the
>> last saved window view/posn with "list" setting but NOT that I had set
>> the
>> view as "folders" (ie split pane).
>> If I open Wind Expl (which opens by default at My Docs with a window
>> size/pos to match that of my last saved desktop icon window view of My
>> Docs)
>> and then click on C:, expand the window size to show all of the folders
>> and
>> set view as "folders", and then close the window this is not rememberd
>> next
>> time I enter Wind Expl. ie it still opens by default at My Docs. Nor does
>> this view of C: override the window size/pos/settings when opened through
>> My
>> Comp.
>>
>> "Alan Smith" wrote:
>>
>> > I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying it recalls the
>> > las
>> > used Window size?
>> >

>> > "RobRW" <RobRW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 9:58:02 PM

Can't get it to work. Short cut to C: opens with same window size/pos as C:
in My Comp but NOT folders view remembered. Same for other folders. W.Expl
opens OK by default at C: now with folders view presumably because I have set
target and the "e" switch.
If I click on say D: in the W.E. window (right pane shows folders & all as
list view) and then close W.E. when I then go back to My Comp and open D: it
remembers how the window view was in W.E. - not how I had saved its window
with icon view in My Comp.
Why can't the different window views be made independent? I never seemed to
have this problem with NT4 in the past.

"Alan Smith" wrote:

> This was the same in 98 too where you could create a shortcut to the folder
> you wanted to open.
> One way is to right click on the desktop, New, Shortcut. Browse to the
> required location. Save the shortcut. Try it.
>

> "RobRW" <RobRW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK. Lets break the problem up into stages. I can now get W.E to default to
> > C:
> > with folders view (thanks to finding some other threads).
> > How do I get C: icon in My Comp to remember "folders" setting when
> > reopened
> > each time? (It remembers view/pos but not folders view).
> >
> > "RobRW" wrote:
> >
> >> If I open C: folder from My Comp (icon views), it remembers next time the
> >> last saved window view/posn with "list" setting but NOT that I had set
> >> the
> >> view as "folders" (ie split pane).
> >> If I open Wind Expl (which opens by default at My Docs with a window
> >> size/pos to match that of my last saved desktop icon window view of My
> >> Docs)
> >> and then click on C:, expand the window size to show all of the folders
> >> and
> >> set view as "folders", and then close the window this is not rememberd
> >> next
> >> time I enter Wind Expl. ie it still opens by default at My Docs. Nor does
> >> this view of C: override the window size/pos/settings when opened through
> >> My
> >> Comp.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 5:54:02 PM

Open Win Explorer set it up the way you want all windows to open by default
click \tools\folder options\view tab\make sure the remember each folders view
settings box is checked\then click the apply to all folders button. Let me
know if this workks?

Ed

"RobRW" wrote:

> Can't get it to work. Short cut to C: opens with same window size/pos as C:
> in My Comp but NOT folders view remembered. Same for other folders. W.Expl
> opens OK by default at C: now with folders view presumably because I have set
> target and the "e" switch.
> If I click on say D: in the W.E. window (right pane shows folders & all as
> list view) and then close W.E. when I then go back to My Comp and open D: it
> remembers how the window view was in W.E. - not how I had saved its window
> with icon view in My Comp.
> Why can't the different window views be made independent? I never seemed to
> have this problem with NT4 in the past.
>
> "Alan Smith" wrote:
>
> > This was the same in 98 too where you could create a shortcut to the folder
> > you wanted to open.
> > One way is to right click on the desktop, New, Shortcut. Browse to the
> > required location. Save the shortcut. Try it.
> >

> > "RobRW" <RobRW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > OK. Lets break the problem up into stages. I can now get W.E to default to
> > > C:
> > > with folders view (thanks to finding some other threads).
> > > How do I get C: icon in My Comp to remember "folders" setting when
> > > reopened
> > > each time? (It remembers view/pos but not folders view).

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 7:42:02 PM

Thankyou Ed. That worked. Set the default just as you said and then
customised the individual folders. Settings are now remembered. Seems so
simple once its done. Why can't microsoft provide this info or make it an
automated process when a new operating system is purchased?

!