setting up broadband

Forgive my lack of knowledge in this area but maybe this will make sense to
someone: Using Windows XP Pro on a Dell PC with Ethernet card built in. I
got the high speed internet home installation kit from Comcast and followed
the directions to the letter for setting up the cable modem using the
Ethernet connection. On the modem, a Terayon TJ715x, the Power and PC
lights are solidly lit but the Cable light flickers. Comcast says this is a
problem with cable signal strength. I attached the modem to the cable where
it comes out of the ground outside my house and it still flickers. Comcast
is sending someone out in a few days. While I wait for that, I attached the
Ethernet wire to the PC and modem. An icon in my tray shows Local Area
Connection, Speed: 100 mpbps when I made the connection. Network
connections shows all is enabled with no errors. However, no modem shows up
under device manager (besides my telephone modem) and when I try to install
the Comcast setup software, the installation stops early in the process at
the point where it is detecting the Network Adapter - none found. My
question is this - is the network adapter not being found because of the
poor cable signal or once I get the signal issue fixed, will I be left with
the same network adapter not found? Or, once the cable signal strength
issue is resolved, will the network adapter be found and I will be able to
resume the installation? I tried an online chat with Comcast but they said
they needed an active connection to troubleshoot. Thanks for any advice.

The connection icon just says that you are connected to
the LAN (i.e. up to the router everything is OK).

The modem is probably not found because the router is
blocking access to it, or as you say because the cable is
not working. The modem software probably just misdiagnose
the problem.

Anyway, is the modem using a non-routable IP (e.g.
192.168.1.1)? If yes, the router may block access to it.
You could try changing the modem LAN subnet to something
like 10.10.1.1, but a easier way is to removing the
router, installing the modem, and then inserting the
router between the modem and the router.

Thanks for the advice. I called Comcast and it turns out the PC default
network settings had my LAN bridged. So I removed the LAN from the network
bridge, hit the repair option, powered down, re-connected the cable modem,
and rebooted. Now the Ethernet card is seen during the installation. Still
stuck with a weak signal but that is beyond my control. Thanks again.
Learning all the time...