Question on Install

Dargone

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
Hello, I'm building my first computer and I've ordered everything and it should arrive shortly. I've read a few guides on building it and the only thing I'm confused on is how I'm going to get windows xp loaded. I ordered the full version from googlegear but how do I get the computer to recognize the cd rom drive? Do I need to get some kind of boot disk or is one included with windows xp. I bought the oem version because it was much cheaper, is that ok? I have a Dell with xp installed right now so can I make a boot disk from that computer? I also have an older windows me boot disk that loads cd drivers so maybe I can use that? The reason I'm perplexed is that I read somewhere that windows xp can't run setup from dos so I'm confused on how I'm going to get it loaded. Since I bought the oem version I'm concerned that it might not have the proper documentation to help me. If someone who has installed a full version of xp would let me know, I would be grateful. Thanks:)

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
as long as you can boot to a DOS prompt, and have the fdisk and format utility, you should be fine. Just boot to DOS, fdisk and format a FAT32 partition (XP can't install unless it sees an existing partition), then you can boot off the CD and proceed with the install.

If you can't boot to DOS, you can make a 98 boot diskette <A HREF="http://www.bootdisk.com" target="_new">here</A>

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
here's how it works:

XP doesn't care what file system it uses (FAT32 or NTFS) it can handle both. During the install, it will give you the opportunity to convert a FAT32 FS to NTFS, which is optional. I prefer NTFS but it is not necessary. Chicken and egg.

haitang

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Full version XP is the best choice in the clean install. Here is how to install: Set the mobo bios boot from cd-rom, place the XP disk in cd-rom drive, save the setup and reboot, the setup will automatic search cd-rom and load xp to hard drive. After xp starded, it will ask to fdisk and format the drive, do so, you can choose F32 or NTFS, choose NTFS. Be reset the bios to boot from C drive when XP reboot during installation, and continue...

SE boot disc won't work in XP due to dos.

Some bios let you choose boot from what drive at one time choice. Like I want boot from CD-rom, after reboot, it'll boot from that drive, next time reboot, it go back to boot from C drive.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by haitang on 06/11/02 02:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Dargone

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
Do I need to partition and format my hard drive first? Or do I just boot right to the windows cd and the full install will take care of it? Thanks, once again.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
windows 98 operating system can't recognize a ntfs FS partition
you are absolutely correct. I never said it could. If you READ my post, I am saying to format a FAT32 partition with a win98 boot disk, then install XP which can recognize either FAT32 or NTFS.

Got it now? Or do I need to elaborate some more?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
SE boot disc won't work in XP due to dos.
jeeze - you guys are full of misinformation. THE SE BOOT DISKETTE IS SIMPLY TO FORMAT A FAT###@32!!! PARTITION SO XP HAS A FILE SYSTEM TO PLACE IT'S TEMPORARY FILES ON DURING THE INSTALL!!!!!!!

Yes I'm shouting. Without a file system, XP will not install. Period.

Dargone

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
So do I use my windows me boot disk to create a partition and format the hard drive? Then I change the bios to boot up with the cd-drive and the windows xp disk will startup and I can start installing?

haitang

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, boot to cd-rom first, xp will fdisk & format, same as using SE bootup disk but direct using xp cd disc.

Do you have any old componments that you can try it out with win xp disk?