DVD's don't play after installing of Media Player 10 FIN

June 14, 2005 10:00:02 AM

Hi and asking for your help again

I have Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 Service Pack 2, LG GCC-4480B
combo drive and CyberLink PowerDVD 4.0 decoder. After updating to Media
Player 10 FIN DVD's don't play anymore. Trying to launch DVD's from Media
Player or PowerDVD I get message "put disc to disc drive E". I tried the very
same DVD in my lap top and it played normally. I also tried to compare the
settings, but there is no diffrences (except the combo drive is a Matshita).
I updated the combo drivers and PowerDVD's drivers from their websites. I
even unistalled and installed again the combo driver, but nothing seems to
help.

Does anyone have answers? I don't think it is a hardware problem, because
all audio CD's and CD-ROM's work nicely on the same combo drive.

Esa
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 6:26:07 PM

"Esa B" <EsaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi and asking for your help again
>
> I have Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 Service Pack 2, LG GCC-4480B
> combo drive and CyberLink PowerDVD 4.0 decoder. After updating to Media
> Player 10 FIN DVD's don't play anymore. Trying to launch DVD's from Media
> Player or PowerDVD I get message "put disc to disc drive E". I tried the
> very
> same DVD in my lap top and it played normally. I also tried to compare the
> settings, but there is no diffrences (except the combo drive is a
> Matshita).
> I updated the combo drivers and PowerDVD's drivers from their websites. I
> even unistalled and installed again the combo driver, but nothing seems to
> help.
>
> Does anyone have answers? I don't think it is a hardware problem, because
> all audio CD's and CD-ROM's work nicely on the same combo drive.
>
> Esa

Is the dye layer different on that disk? Look on your drive makers site for
an update- the firmware gets updated and often icludes support for newer
dyetypes, or improved support.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 6:26:08 PM

Dear Alan

Thank you for your answer

I tried several different DVD's of different age and make, but it makes no
difference. I allready updated the firmware device driver from LG's website
(GCC-4480B Version 1.02 Firmware Update), which did not help.

But I got a hint, that when I cleaned my PC's registers with System Mechanic
5 it might have deleted the register keys needed for DVD operation, which I
don't quite understand nor know how to fix.

BR

Esa

"Alan Smith" wrote:

> "Esa B" <EsaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi and asking for your help again
> >
> > I have Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 Service Pack 2, LG GCC-4480B
> > combo drive and CyberLink PowerDVD 4.0 decoder. After updating to Media
> > Player 10 FIN DVD's don't play anymore. Trying to launch DVD's from Media
> > Player or PowerDVD I get message "put disc to disc drive E". I tried the
> > very
> > same DVD in my lap top and it played normally. I also tried to compare the
> > settings, but there is no diffrences (except the combo drive is a
> > Matshita).
> > I updated the combo drivers and PowerDVD's drivers from their websites. I
> > even unistalled and installed again the combo driver, but nothing seems to
> > help.
> >
> > Does anyone have answers? I don't think it is a hardware problem, because
> > all audio CD's and CD-ROM's work nicely on the same combo drive.
> >
> > Esa
>
> Is the dye layer different on that disk? Look on your drive makers site for
> an update- the firmware gets updated and often icludes support for newer
> dyetypes, or improved support.

Related resources
June 14, 2005 6:26:09 PM

> Dear Alan
>
> Thank you for your answer
>
> I tried several different DVD's of different age and make, but it makes no
> difference. I allready updated the firmware device driver from LG's
> website
> (GCC-4480B Version 1.02 Firmware Update), which did not help.
>
> But I got a hint, that when I cleaned my PC's registers with System
> Mechanic
> 5 it might have deleted the register keys needed for DVD operation, which
> don't quite understand nor know how to fix.
>
> BR
>
> Esa
>
> "Alan Smith" wrote:
>

>> "Esa B" <EsaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi and asking for your help again
>> >
>> > I have Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 Service Pack 2, LG
>> > GCC-4480B
>> > combo drive and CyberLink PowerDVD 4.0 decoder. After updating to Media
>> > Player 10 FIN DVD's don't play anymore. Trying to launch DVD's from
>> > Media
>> > Player or PowerDVD I get message "put disc to disc drive E". I tried
>> > the
>> > very
>> > same DVD in my lap top and it played normally. I also tried to compare
>> > the
>> > settings, but there is no diffrences (except the combo drive is a
>> > Matshita).
>> > I updated the combo drivers and PowerDVD's drivers from their websites.
>> > even unistalled and installed again the combo driver, but nothing seems
>> > help.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have answers? I don't think it is a hardware problem,
>> > because
>> > all audio CD's and CD-ROM's work nicely on the same combo drive.
>> >
>> > Esa
>>
>> Is the dye layer different on that disk? Look on your drive makers site
>> for
>> an update- the firmware gets updated and often icludes support for newer
>> dyetypes, or improved support.

check to see if System Mechanic saved an "undo" file
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 6:26:10 PM

Thanks Haggis ( a Scottish food?)

Unfortunately I did not take a safety copy before first time cleaning the
registers, only the second time and restoring that did'nt help.

Esa

!