New Build What Drivers do I need?

Rapple12

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
I'm pre downloading all the drivers I need so that When my parts get here it takes less time to setup.

So what are all the things that need drivers
I got graphics card what else do I need?

Solution
All the drivers you need will be on the CD's that come with your hardware. Most of the time, you can download the latest versions off the web site .... however, some of the MoBo utilities (i.e. DVD Player Software) are only available on the CD, my guess is for licensing reasons.

The approach ya can use if ya not sure what's what is as follows:

1. Install Windows

2. Insert MoBo CD and install all drivers and utilities (unless for some reason ya don't want something).

3. Insert other hardware CD's and install as above.

4. Download latest versions of all drivers, BIOS, Firmware, manuals and utilities from manufacturer's web sites.

5. Install items above.

6. Run windows update (over and over till it can't find anything) and...

inerax

Distinguished
what OS are you going to run.

if it is windows 7 i would not get any.

When you load windows 7 your network card should work. download all the drivers fresh for what you have.

If your network driver does not work pop in the CD that came with your motherboard and load the network card driver then download what else is needed

go to your mb vendor web page.
it have a list of drivers for the mb. there going to be out of date but there tell you the drivers you need.
you need the chipset drivers.
you need the sound card drivers
you need the network drivers.
if there built in wifi or bluetooth you need those drivers too plus any intel ssd drivers if your going to run an ssd.
if the mb has 3 party usb 3.0 chipset you need those drivers too.
dont forget to pre download an anti virus software.
adobe flash...java..adobe acrobate...firefox or your browser of choise.
if you use firefox or mozzila browser use there backup tool to back up your profile your using now. then install the browser..then use the tool to restore your profile. also check the mb vendor for any bios updates..see if there are any and what they fix.
when i do a build i post into the mb bios and let it sit a few to see that the heat sink on right and the pc is running fine.
then i update the mb bios. before i install windows i put the ssd on another pc and make sure the firmware been updated.
in the bios after the flash set your ram speed to the right speed and make sure the sata ports are set to achi not ide or raid.

All the drivers you need will be on the CD's that come with your hardware. Most of the time, you can download the latest versions off the web site .... however, some of the MoBo utilities (i.e. DVD Player Software) are only available on the CD, my guess is for licensing reasons.

The approach ya can use if ya not sure what's what is as follows:

1. Install Windows

2. Insert MoBo CD and install all drivers and utilities (unless for some reason ya don't want something).

3. Insert other hardware CD's and install as above.

4. Download latest versions of all drivers, BIOS, Firmware, manuals and utilities from manufacturer's web sites.

5. Install items above.

6. Run windows update (over and over till it can't find anything) and install all important updates and optional security updates. I skip any IE, media player stuff as I don't use them. I also skip any driver updates as I prefer to get these directly from manufacturer.....Windows has burned me too many times for me to trust them at this task.

This method is safe in that if you have problems, when ya call tech support, ya can safely say that everything is as "outta the box" .... and as I said previously, it gets you those offerings that are not downloadable....a rare thing BTW, but it does happen. Many manufacturer's also include a divers utility which will display the the currently installed version and I like to have this as a baseline to compare against what is available on site.

What I do when I'm in a rush (read almost always) however is as follows:

1. Download all latest hardware drivers and manuals from manufacturers web sites after placing parts orders.

2. Burn a DVD containing folder structure:
--Drivers and Stuff - Jack's Box
----MoBo
------Manuals
------BIOS
------Audio
------Ethernet
------ChipSet
------USB
------LAN
------Utilities
--------Asus Update

You see where this going .... folders for Optical, PSU, Memory, Case, Monitor, KD, Mouse and whatever else I bought even a "Records" folder with PDF's of my delivery receipts, invoices etc.

3. Print manuals ...read several times over the 2-3 days it takes big brown truck to arrive....highlight areas you may want to refer to later.

4. Install Windows

5. Insert Driver DvD that you previously made and install all drivers and utilities (unless for some reason ya don't want something).

6. Check CD's in original boxes to see if they include any of those aforementioned undownloadable items......again, DVD player software usually included, the Rampage had some special sound related apps, and even a copy of Adobe Reader which I prefer as the CD version usually lets me install it in any location I want, rather than the d/l version which makes it an effort to avoid C:\ProgramFiles.

7. Run windows update (over and over till it can't find anything) and install all important updates and optional security updates. I skip any IE, media player stuff as I don't use them. I also skip any driver updates as I prefer to get these directly from manufacturer.....Windows has burned me too many times format and reinstall needed) for me to trust them at this task.

To keep things up to date, here's two utilities ya might want to grab

Secunia Personal Software Inspector - Checks your system for vulnerabilities and advises if you have any out of date stuff.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

DriverMax - As above but for drivers
http://www.drivermax.com/

As was said above in previous post, I keep a similar downloads folder on my HD containing all my favorite utilities. I burn these to a CD and give them to the person I am building for.

Firefox
Thinderbird
MozBackup
Java
Secunia
DriverMax
Cleanup http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=130&Itemid=219
OCCT
Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite
Bealrc Advisor
PowerDesk
FileEx - http://www.cottonwoodsw.com/
FBackup
StartUp Control Panel http://mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
Quicktime
i-tunes
Irfanview
GoogleEarth
OpenOffice