New Comp First Start Up

G

Concerning a newly built computer's first start up:
1)Is it better to just install necessary hardware like dvd-cd/rom drive or floppy until you get the system up and running, and then add what ever else afterwards.
2)What drivers should I gather and what media is best to put them on.
3)Is there a link someone could refer me to that will help me to configure the bios and or set the machine up.
4) If during the initial start up and bios set up I make a mistake say in the bios can and how do I start over.
5) Does anyone have any suggestions as to how and what I should do prior to or during this initial start up.
Thanks......Vista

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
1) Yes, but DVD/CD and floppy are not necessary hardware. I would start by installing RAM and graphics card only to verify that the PC posts.
2) You need the drivers for whatever hardware you have. These usually come with the hardware when you buy and usually on a CD. However, you may want to forget about those and go to the manufacturers sites and download the latest versions. Most won't fit on a floppy so you need to put them on a CD.
3) Check the user guide for the mobo.
4) Enter the bios and correct the mistake.
5) Start by bios default setting and let it auto detect all drives. Set boot priority to CD rom. When you get it to POST, insert the OS install CD rom. Boot from that and install the OS.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

G

HammerBot,
How do I do this with out a cd/dvd rom drive intalled or a floppy drive installed? You said they are not necessary?
Thanks.....Vista

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Those drives are not neccessary to check if the PC POSTs. Once you get the PC to POST, obviously you install whatever drives you need to continue.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

G

HammerBot,
Am I correct in understanding you that the only hardware that should be installed prior to starting the computer for the first time should be, PSU, mobo, HDD, Video Card. After the computer posts then add the CD/DVD drive, CD/RW drive, Floppy drive etc. Also this is the first time i'm hearing the term computer posting, would you mind explaining that term to me somewhat. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.....Vista

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vista on 01/24/04 06:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
POST = Power-On Self Test. Simply means that the machine says beep and displays something on the screen.

You don't need to only install the neccesary hardware. But if the machine doesn't post, the first thing you are going to do is to pull out all un-neccessary. Thats why I always only install the neccesary, make the computer post and then install the rest.

The only hardware you'll need to get the PC to post is: PSU, mobo, CPU, graphics card and RAM. No drives are required.