Sign in with
Your question

How do I change the default directory of installed programs?

Last response: in Windows 7
August 10, 2012 8:08:49 PM

Hello all,

I have Windows, Adobe CS6 and a few other things installed on my SSD, which is C. But it only has 120GB so I can't install all my software on it so I want the rest of my software to be installed on my 2TB drive, which is F. I followed various tutorials on how to edit the registry. I am running Windows 7 Home (64-bit) so I edited the 64-bit version of regedit. That didn't work. It was still installing programs into my C drive. So I edited both regular regedit and 64-bit regedit and now certain programs don't work, such as Windows Media Player.

Is there a way to do this correctly? I was thinking of switching drive letters in BIOS, but one, I don't know how to do that, two, it would probably create a bigger mess. I know Windows 7 "wants" to be on the C drive.

Please help me out.

Here are what my regedit modifications look like:

%systemroot%\syswow64\regedit:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Regular regedit:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
August 10, 2012 9:20:11 PM

When you go to install; choose "custom" and browse over to the "F:" directory and install there. No need to change the registry.

If you want to change the save directory for your documents, downloads, videos, pictures, music, etc just open "Start" and click on "user name" (at top right) which will open your libraries. Right click on say, "videos" and click on properties. Next, click on "location" and change it to wherever you want it... ie: "F:\Documents"
m
l
August 10, 2012 9:32:23 PM

RussK1 said:
When you go to install; choose "custom" and browse over to the "F:" directory and install there. No need to change the registry.

If you want to change the save directory for your documents, downloads, videos, pictures, music, etc just open "Start" and click on "user name" (at top right) which will open your libraries. Right click on say, "videos" and click on properties. Next, click on "location" and change it to wherever you want it... ie: "F:\Documents"

I don't want to have to do that every time. And some software doesn't allow you change the path. I tried installing WinZip today and it automatically installed it to my C drive.
m
l
Related resources
August 10, 2012 9:37:06 PM

northtracks said:
I don't want to have to do that every time. And some software doesn't allow you change the path. I tried installing WinZip today and it automatically installed it to my C drive.

Do what? The custom install?... it's like 3 clicks. :o 

The other stuff I mentioned will remain that way unless you change the locations back to C:\
m
l
August 12, 2012 11:14:58 AM

I would still like to add that not all software allows you to install to a specific drive. It doesn't really matter if it's 3 clicks or not, I don't want to accidentally install anything to my C drive which is an SSD that has limited space. It would make my life a lot easier if the F drive took care of all my installations right now.
m
l
August 12, 2012 12:10:42 PM

How big is the drive?
m
l
August 12, 2012 8:11:21 PM

northtracks said:
120GB

keep the most commonly used apps on the drive and games, videos, pictures, etc on a mechanical drive and you'll be fine.

What are you worried about?
m
l
August 12, 2012 10:17:17 PM

RussK1 said:
keep the most commonly used apps on the drive and games, videos, pictures, etc on a mechanical drive and you'll be fine.

What are you worried about?

It's filling up quickly. I think it's because of where my user folder is located. That has all my downloads, photos, videos, etc.
m
l
August 12, 2012 10:52:50 PM

northtracks said:
It's filling up quickly. I think it's because of where my user folder is located. That has all my downloads, photos, videos, etc.

Move them... problem solved. That's how I'm set up... BF3 is the only game I have installed on my SSD. User folders will chew away GB's.
m
l
!