Ahh, the memories

Yesterday I bought a new CD. Well, not exactly new - it's from 1975:
"Ricochet" by the german band Tangerine Dream. Sweet electronics, moogs
and whatever was available at that time. Ahh, the memories.....

I have it on vinyl but haven't been played it for a couple of years due to
certain HW problems. I know there are gadgets and SW you can use to rip
vinyl records, but I'm not sure about the quality. Anyone has experience.

So until further notice I'll stick to rebuying selected works on CD.
Yesterday "Ricochet". Next week "Phaedra", and I've noticed that "Rubycon"
is available on SACD.

--
pibbur

More about memories
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:19:40 GMT, pibbur
    <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:

    >Yesterday I bought a new CD. Well, not exactly new - it's from 1975:
    >"Ricochet" by the german band Tangerine Dream. Sweet electronics, moogs
    >and whatever was available at that time. Ahh, the memories.....
    >
    >I have it on vinyl but haven't been played it for a couple of years due to
    >certain HW problems. I know there are gadgets and SW you can use to rip
    >vinyl records, but I'm not sure about the quality. Anyone has experience.

    Can't you just feed the output of the turntable into your soundcard?
    Should be able to record it easily enough that way, right? Use something
    like Audacity to edit and convert the music into tracks and compress them
    into MP3s or Oggs.

    /has never owned a turntable or vinyl record.
    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:19:40 GMT, pibbur
    <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:

    >Yesterday I bought a new CD. Well, not exactly new - it's from 1975:
    >"Ricochet" by the german band Tangerine Dream. Sweet electronics, moogs
    >and whatever was available at that time. Ahh, the memories.....
    >
    >I have it on vinyl but haven't been played it for a couple of years due to
    >certain HW problems. I know there are gadgets and SW you can use to rip
    >vinyl records, but I'm not sure about the quality. Anyone has experience.

    I've been doing a lot of it lately. I had done it a few years ago, but
    gave my turntable to my daughter. I got a newer one from a friend
    lately and have started transcribing some of my old vinyl to CDs.
    Nero Ultra Edition has a very nice LP to CD wizard, and a pretty
    effective basic wave editor to remove rumble, crackle, and ticks and
    pops.Best of all, it's easy to use without getting too complicated
    like Adobe Audition. I'll have to try my old John Mayall Back To The
    Roots album, the first program I used to do it with several years ago
    distorted the trumpets and saxes pretty badly when I used it to cut
    the noise. Nero does a far better job so far.
    I just finished my recording of M. Frog, a 1973 album by Jean Yves
    Labat, later keyboardist for Todd Rundgren's Utopia.
    I have an old Tangerine Dream album somewhere around here, I think
    it's blue.

    >So until further notice I'll stick to rebuying selected works on CD.
    >Yesterday "Ricochet". Next week "Phaedra", and I've noticed that "Rubycon"
    >is available on SACD.

    Optician Dragon
    -=UDIC=-
    "There is no cause so right that one cannot find a fool following it."
    Larry Niven
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 05:36:47 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:19:40 GMT, pibbur
    ><oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:
    >
    >>Yesterday I bought a new CD. Well, not exactly new - it's from 1975:
    >>"Ricochet" by the german band Tangerine Dream. Sweet electronics, moogs
    >>and whatever was available at that time. Ahh, the memories.....
    >>
    >>I have it on vinyl but haven't been played it for a couple of years due to
    >>certain HW problems. I know there are gadgets and SW you can use to rip
    >>vinyl records, but I'm not sure about the quality. Anyone has experience.
    >
    >Can't you just feed the output of the turntable into your soundcard?
    >Should be able to record it easily enough that way, right? Use something
    >like Audacity to edit and convert the music into tracks and compress them
    >into MP3s or Oggs.
    >
    >/has never owned a turntable or vinyl record.
    Don't tell me, let me guess - you're an 8-track devotee? :-)
    Optician Dragon
    -=UDIC=-
    "There is no cause so right that one cannot find a fool following it."
    Larry Niven
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:13:47 GMT, Optician Dragon
    <dragonlensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

    >On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 05:36:47 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:19:40 GMT, pibbur
    >><oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yesterday I bought a new CD. Well, not exactly new - it's from 1975:
    >>>"Ricochet" by the german band Tangerine Dream. Sweet electronics, moogs
    >>>and whatever was available at that time. Ahh, the memories.....
    >>>
    >>>I have it on vinyl but haven't been played it for a couple of years due to
    >>>certain HW problems. I know there are gadgets and SW you can use to rip
    >>>vinyl records, but I'm not sure about the quality. Anyone has experience.
    >>
    >>Can't you just feed the output of the turntable into your soundcard?
    >>Should be able to record it easily enough that way, right? Use something
    >>like Audacity to edit and convert the music into tracks and compress them
    >>into MP3s or Oggs.
    >>
    >>/has never owned a turntable or vinyl record.
    >Don't tell me, let me guess - you're an 8-track devotee? :-)

    No, I owned a little handheld am/fm radio in the mid 70s upon which I
    listened to Mystery Theater shows. Then I owned cars with radio/tape
    decks, but never an 8 track. That's it. No stereo for the house, no
    turntables, nothing else. I've listened to my CDs before ripping them
    only on my computer's optical drive.
    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
    RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    "pibbur" <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote in message
    > Yesterday I bought a new CD. Well, not exactly new - it's from 1975:
    > "Ricochet" by the german band Tangerine Dream. Sweet electronics,
    > moogs and whatever was available at that time. Ahh, the
    > memories.....

    Ah the joy of buying the same thing twice ;-)

    > I have it on vinyl but haven't been played it for a couple of years
    > due to certain HW problems. I know there are gadgets and SW you can
    > use to rip vinyl records, but I'm not sure about the quality.
    > Anyone has experience.

    I had a good experience, not with software, but with a standalone CD
    burner. My attempts to do something similar with my PC led to some
    dreadful noisy and skippy files. With the standalone CD burner, I
    just tossed a disc in, hit record, and started the record. An hour
    later, voila, John Cage's HPSCHD from 1969 or so, fresh on CD!

    > So until further notice I'll stick to rebuying selected works on CD.
    > Yesterday "Ricochet". Next week "Phaedra", and I've noticed that
    > "Rubycon" is available on SACD.

    I can't imagine buying a SACD. Since in repeated blind tests have I
    have failed to distinguish between high-quality compressed audio files
    and CD, it's extremely doubtful that I would notice any difference
    with SACD. Plus, the format makes it harder to copy my music (thank
    you, copy protection).

    -Zac
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:12:14 +0200, Optician Dragon
    <dragonlensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:19:40 GMT, pibbur
    > <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:
    >
    >> Yesterday I bought a new CD. Well, not exactly new - it's from 1975:
    >> "Ricochet" by the german band Tangerine Dream. Sweet electronics, moogs
    >> and whatever was available at that time. Ahh, the memories.....
    >>
    >> I have it on vinyl but haven't been played it for a couple of years due
    >> certain HW problems. I know there are gadgets and SW you can use to rip
    >> vinyl records, but I'm not sure about the quality. Anyone has
    >> experience.
    >

    > I've been doing a lot of it lately. I had done it a few years ago, but
    > gave my turntable to my daughter. I got a newer one from a friend
    > lately and have started transcribing some of my old vinyl to CDs.
    > Nero Ultra Edition has a very nice LP to CD wizard, and a pretty
    > effective basic wave editor to remove rumble, crackle, and ticks and
    > pops.Best of all, it's easy to use without getting too complicated
    > like Adobe Audition. I'll have to try my old John Mayall Back To The
    > Roots album, the first program I used to do it with several years ago
    > distorted the trumpets and saxes pretty badly when I used it to cut
    > the noise. Nero does a far better job so far.
    > I just finished my recording of M. Frog, a 1973 album by Jean Yves
    > Labat, later keyboardist for Todd Rundgren's Utopia.
    > I have an old Tangerine Dream album somewhere around here, I think
    > it's blue.

    Ricochet, Live Miles, Rubycon and Phaedra are blueish.

    >> So until further notice I'll stick to rebuying selected works on CD.
    >> Yesterday "Ricochet". Next week "Phaedra", and I've noticed that
    >> "Rubycon"
    >> is available on SACD.

    BTW, Optician, did you want my mail address (and is the one you provide
    here valid, or is it fake like mine?)?

    --
    pibbur

  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:32:49 GMT, pibbur
    <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:

    >On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:12:14 +0200, Optician Dragon
    ><dragonlensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:19:40 GMT, pibbur
    >> <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yesterday I bought a new CD. Well, not exactly new - it's from 1975:
    >>> "Ricochet" by the german band Tangerine Dream. Sweet electronics, moogs
    >>> and whatever was available at that time. Ahh, the memories.....
    >>>
    >>> I have it on vinyl but haven't been played it for a couple of years due
    >>> certain HW problems. I know there are gadgets and SW you can use to rip
    >>> vinyl records, but I'm not sure about the quality. Anyone has
    >>> experience.
    >>

    >> I've been doing a lot of it lately. I had done it a few years ago, but
    >> gave my turntable to my daughter. I got a newer one from a friend
    >> lately and have started transcribing some of my old vinyl to CDs.
    >> Nero Ultra Edition has a very nice LP to CD wizard, and a pretty
    >> effective basic wave editor to remove rumble, crackle, and ticks and
    >> pops.Best of all, it's easy to use without getting too complicated
    >> like Adobe Audition. I'll have to try my old John Mayall Back To The
    >> Roots album, the first program I used to do it with several years ago
    >> distorted the trumpets and saxes pretty badly when I used it to cut
    >> the noise. Nero does a far better job so far.
    >> I just finished my recording of M. Frog, a 1973 album by Jean Yves
    >> Labat, later keyboardist for Todd Rundgren's Utopia.
    >> I have an old Tangerine Dream album somewhere around here, I think
    >> it's blue.
    >>
    >Ricochet, Live Miles, Rubycon and Phaedra are blueish.
    >
    >>> So until further notice I'll stick to rebuying selected works on CD.
    >>> Yesterday "Ricochet". Next week "Phaedra", and I've noticed that
    >>> "Rubycon"
    >>> is available on SACD.
    >
    >BTW, Optician, did you want my mail address (and is the one you provide
    >here valid, or is it fake like mine?)?
    Mine is actually valid. Don't really get much spam, so I guess T-bird
    does a decent job. Had a couple of attempted swens the other day.

    --
    Optician Dragon
    -=UDIC=-
    "There is no cause so right that one cannot find a fool following it."
    Larry Niven
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 03:59:28 +0200, Zac Bond <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:

    > "pibbur" <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote in message
    >> Yesterday I bought a new CD. Well, not exactly new - it's from 1975:
    >> "Ricochet" by the german band Tangerine Dream. Sweet electronics,
    >> moogs and whatever was available at that time. Ahh, the
    >> memories.....
    >
    > Ah the joy of buying the same thing twice ;-)

    Only when you know that you're doing it.

    >> I have it on vinyl but haven't been played it for a couple of years
    >> due to certain HW problems. I know there are gadgets and SW you can
    >> use to rip vinyl records, but I'm not sure about the quality.
    >> Anyone has experience.
    >
    > I had a good experience, not with software, but with a standalone CD
    > burner. My attempts to do something similar with my PC led to some
    > dreadful noisy and skippy files. With the standalone CD burner, I
    > just tossed a disc in, hit record, and started the record. An hour
    > later, voila, John Cage's HPSCHD from 1969 or so, fresh on CD!
    >
    >> So until further notice I'll stick to rebuying selected works on CD.
    >> Yesterday "Ricochet". Next week "Phaedra", and I've noticed that
    >> "Rubycon" is available on SACD.
    >
    > I can't imagine buying a SACD. Since in repeated blind tests have I
    > have failed to distinguish between high-quality compressed audio files
    > and CD, it's extremely doubtful that I would notice any difference
    > with SACD. Plus, the format makes it harder to copy my music (thank
    > you, copy protection).

    Thanks for the imformation.
    --
    pibbur

  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    pibbur wrote:

    > I have it on vinyl but haven't been played it for a couple of years due to
    > certain HW problems. I know there are gadgets and SW you can use to rip
    > vinyl records, but I'm not sure about the quality. Anyone has experience.

    Sure, here's a couple of tips:

    1. You can feed the record player directly into the soundcard using a dual
    RCA to 1/8" Y cable, but you MUST use line-in rather than mic to get
    decent quality.

    2. The signal on line-in will be fairly low, it needs to be attenuated,
    which is virtually lossless anyway with floating point samples so don't
    worry about signal loss.

    3. Vinyl albums have been equalized to maximize the signal to noise ratio,
    most often using a standard curve from the RIAA. This is what makes albums
    sound tinny with no bass - high frequencies have been increased and low
    frequencies have been decreased (to avoid wide sections in the groove
    that would cause heavy wear and jumpy needles). This has to be compensated
    for in one of three ways - either put a pre-amp that cancels the RIAA
    curve between the player and the computer (with possible quality issues),
    route through an amplifier that has a true phono input (more quality
    issues) or use software like Audacity (adds an extra annoying step). Maybe
    there are other ways too. I prefer a pre-amp for a variety of reasons.

    4. You'll probably have to clean the signal afterwards for pops/clicks and
    hiss/hum. With a high quality turntable and sound card and well cleaned
    records you don't really have to worry about hum/hiss - I almost never use
    noise reduction. Pops and clicks are another matter - I use GWC (Gnome
    Wave Cleaner) which is free and high quality but afaik is only available
    for unix variants. Optician mentioned Nero, there's also MS Plus! Digital
    Media Edition, Record Cleaner
    ( http://www.blazeaudio.com/products/recordcleaner.html ), CoolEdit 2000
    (with Audio Cleanup plugin) ( http://www.tti.net/ftp/pl-IV-ftp-files.html
    ) and some others.

    Here are some web pages that give some tips (but I find most of them to be
    unreasonably complicated and expensive):
    http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm
    http://www.tappin.me.uk/Linux/audio.html
    http://www.blazeaudio.com/products/recordtocd.html

    --
    Cape Dweller Dragon
    Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

    Wow, thanks a lot!!!!

    --
    pibbur

  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    pibbur wrote:

    > Wow, thanks a lot!!!!

    No problem! So basically here's what I do (using Linux tools):

    Record player RCA outputs go to pre-amp. Pre-amp goes to sound card
    line-in (SB Live! which is mid-range quality but sounds good to me).

    I record using a command line program called arecord that's part
    of Alsa (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) and monitor using a graphical
    meter plugin. When side 1 is done I flip the record without stopping the
    recording, hence get 1 long file.

    I use GWC (Gnome Wave Cleaner) to attenuate and clean everything up
    (deleting silence from the end, middle (where the record was flipped) and
    beginning, removing pops and clicks) - running the automatic pop remover
    until the number of pops it finds levels off, then listen through and
    manually remove any it missed (the only occasionally tedious part of the
    process).

    GWC is then still used to mark off all the tracks and encode the resulting
    clean tracks to individual ogg files.

    I then use a program called EasyTAG to write the tags. Simple!

    --
    Cape Dweller Dragon
    Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

CD-Rom Video Games