OEM - 1 use, OOPS! help :(

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Hard Drives
  • OEM
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
August 10, 2012 8:54:35 PM

Hi all so I'm building new pc and bought windows 7 home premium 64bit OEM version.

I installed it to my 1TB HDD for now until I can afford my new 128gb SSD, now I read that OEM windows key cannot be installed twice like the retail version!!

Does this mean I can't install it to my SSD? Do I have to buy another copy....

Also, if I have to get Windows 7 through other ways for my SSD, how can I remove windows os from my HDD and keep my games/storage files? Some games that I wish to run fast will be uninstalled anyway and put onto SSD, but how do I keep the rest of the gb of files?

More about : oem oops

a b $ Windows 7
August 10, 2012 9:00:32 PM

Hi :) 

An OEM locks to ONE motherboard.... are you going to change that ? If so you are going to be buying ANOTHER OEM disc... and key...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 10, 2012 9:03:01 PM

Whenn you get your new SSD you will have to take out the HDD and install windows fresh on the SSD, then install the HDD back and re-install all programs and games. Then clean up the HDD by erasing the windows folders and files.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 10, 2012 9:10:02 PM

OEM licences often allow one or two re-installations so you should be ok. Failing that you have to call MS activations and explain your PC mobo died or similar and they often allow you to reactivate.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 10, 2012 9:15:26 PM

ulysses35 said:
OEM licences often allow one or two re-installations so you should be ok. Failing that you have to call MS activations and explain your PC mobo died or similar and they often allow you to reactivate.

No..hes talking about a new mobo AFTER INSTALLING it on his old mobo I think...MS wont be impressed with that...new OEM time....

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 10, 2012 9:17:45 PM

did you read the op's post, he installed on a 1TB, wants to get a 128GB SSD and install on that, all else will be the same, no problem at all.
m
l
August 10, 2012 9:18:24 PM

going to reply to everyone, here goes :) 

Brett928S2 said:

An OEM locks to ONE motherboard.... are you going to change that ? If so you are going to be buying ANOTHER OEM disc... and key...

The mobo won't change, i will just ADD in an SSD to the system and put windows on it

dingo07 said:
Whenn you get your new SSD you will have to take out the HDD and install windows fresh on the SSD, then install the HDD back and re-install all programs and games. Then clean up the HDD by erasing the windows folders and files.

Okay I see, will I need to format my HDD after installing windows onto the SSD and some games/programs or can I just delete the windows folder?

ulysses35 said:

Hopefully since the mobo will be the same it will let me have it on my HDD and then my SSD afterwards then i can delete it from my hdd..

Brett928S2 said:

No..hes talking about a new mobo AFTER INSTALLING it on his old mobo I think...MS wont be impressed with that...new OEM time....

Nono, just a single mobo in question here Brett :) 
m
l
August 10, 2012 9:21:30 PM

13thmonkey said:
did you read the op's post, he installed on a 1TB, wants to get a 128GB SSD and install on that, all else will be the same, no problem at all.

Correct, so there will be no problems that it is OEM then I hope.. how will I go about this?:

unplug hdd, install win7 to ssd

replug hdd, boot from ssd win7

install games/programs to ssd

format hdd to remove windows? or can I just delete folder? C:\windows
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 10, 2012 9:35:09 PM

Only 1 mobo is good, but did you already ACTIVATE your oem copy ?

If so, after reloading Windows on your SSD , it will NEED activating again....which it may or may not do, if not then talk to the activation line...you should be ok as long as they believe you....

m
l
August 10, 2012 9:58:16 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Only 1 mobo is good, but did you already ACTIVATE your oem copy ?

If so, after reloading Windows on your SSD , it will NEED activating again....which it may or may not do, if not then talk to the activation line...you should be ok as long as they believe you....

Hi yes it has been activated so it will need doing again on the SSD, we will see.. I don't want to buy the ssd and then it be useless as I can't afford another windows..
m
l
a c 611 $ Windows 7
August 11, 2012 1:48:11 AM

Your copy of Windows is locked to the PC on which you purchased it. You cannot transfer that license to another PC.
You can upgrade any components or peripherals on your PC and keep your license intact. You can replace the motherboard with an identical model or an equivalent model from the OEM if it fails. However, if you personally replace or upgrade the motherboard, your OEM Windows license is null and void.
m
l
August 11, 2012 11:07:45 PM

area51 is right.

You will be fine. Most peripheral changes will not trigger anything different to happen.

But if something pops up, you call the number and tell MSFT what happened, and they will give you a new key/steps to do.

As other people have noted, even IF you do replace your mobo, when you call and talk to the rep, *sometimes* they unlock it for you.

You do not need to lie or commit fraud.
It is like a restaurant giving you a free dessert or airline giving you a free upgrade.

IF you feel you DO need to lie or commit fraud, well you will be judged on that by your own conscience.
m
l