G

I travel for a living and am ready to upgrade. I am looking for speed and power primarly to access the internet and download streaming video. Also use the computer for microsoft office apps along with sever business apps. I have looked at the new Dell XPS units but really don't know what I am looking at when I go to customize the unit.

VistaVendetta

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I travel for a living and am ready to upgrade. I am looking for speed and power primarly to access the internet and download streaming video. Also use the computer for microsoft office apps along with sever business apps. I have looked at the new Dell XPS units but really don't know what I am looking at when I go to customize the unit.

Okay looks like you could use a crash course in computers before I tell you what to buy. First of all there are several things you should check on a computer before you buy it:
1) the CPU only Intel and AMD make CPUs and you should look at benchmarks when comparing CPUs heres 2 websites to compare CPUs: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

2) The memory (RAM): most computers today will have Windows 7 either 32 bit or 64 bit. Basically the more RAM you have the better. Unfortunately, your computer is limited in the amount of RAM it can have.

3) Hard Drive: Laptop hard drives are usually 5400RPM but you can get 7200RPM hard drives for a little extra. 7200RPM hard drives are faster than 5400RPM.

4) Video Card: This one isn't so vital if you aren't going to play video games, a normal mid range video card will do. Just make sure not buy a computer with integrated graphics. Avoid integrated video cards at all costs, they are slower than dedicated cards and they take up RAM on your computer with slows you down.

That being said lets see your purchasing options. My advice is stay away from Dell, they are over priced and their customer service is crap. There are 2 things you can do to get a good computer with a good warranty: Buy it at Costco because they give you a 2 year warranty and free tech support, or Buy it direct and just pay for a longer warranty.

My suggestion is the HP DV6T Quad series it's better than any Dell on the market
Heres what you can get for $1152.93
Components

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
• FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 2GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• FREE Upgrade to 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
• 15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)
• LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
• Webcam Only
• Intel Wireless-N Mini-card
• System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• 2-year HP Care Pack Pick Up and Return Service

The Core i7 720qm is a super powerful CPU, The 4GB of RAM are sufficient, Hard drive is Fast and Has a lot of memory, and the Video card is also a good mid range card.

Also, can you please provide me with your price range so I better know what to suggest.

:sol: