New Orleans

I haven't seen anything about the hurricane/the flood in the southern part
of the US here, yet. But I'm not sure that my newsfeed is working as it
should. Things seem to be very slow here at the moment.

Anyhow, from what I see on TV (CNN), it's a disaster. A city about the
size of our capital, almost completely (80%) under water. A total
destruction of the infrastructure. Thing are going to be very difficult
for a long time. FWIW: my condolances to my fellow american dragons. I
hope you're all safe.

--
pibbur

More about orleans
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 13:14:24 GMT, pibbur
    <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:

    >I haven't seen anything about the hurricane/the flood in the southern part
    >of the US here, yet. But I'm not sure that my newsfeed is working as it
    >should. Things seem to be very slow here at the moment.
    >
    >Anyhow, from what I see on TV (CNN), it's a disaster. A city about the
    >size of our capital, almost completely (80%) under water. A total
    >destruction of the infrastructure. Thing are going to be very difficult
    >for a long time. FWIW: my condolances to my fellow american dragons. I
    >hope you're all safe.

    All we see on TV (I still have one in the living room) is coverage of New
    Orleans and the other cities affected. It was bound to happen. Each time
    a hurricane would come towards that area, people would make comments about
    how fragile that city was. Building a city on the delta of a huge river,
    in a bowl-shaped depression, next to the sea, in the way of hurricanes,
    populating it with interesting but mostly very poor people and having only
    a couple narrow ways out of the city was not the greatest idea in the
    world.

    How many people here have been to New Orleans? I've been there several
    times, but never for Mardi Gras.

    interNIC.com is still hosting sites from the middle of downtown. They're
    in a 10 story building with their own diesel generator and are protected
    from looters by the fact that the lower floors are being used as a staging
    area for the national guardsmen.
    If you want to listen to the Astrodome command center you can tune Winamp
    to http://216.14.30.229:8002/.
    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    > How many people here have been to New Orleans? I've been there several

    I was born outside of New Orleans, but I forget which parish. We later
    moved to Shreveport. I was pretty young when we were there so I don't
    remember very much about it.

    I'm in another state now so I was unaffected by the hurricane aside from
    gas price fluctuations and such.

    From what I've seen on the news the Big Easy looks like a total
    disaster area.

    --
    /\_./b__ _O_ <====o Lost Dragon o====> _|_ __d\._/\
    (/^/(_^^' | I like people - I just can't eat a whole one | `^^_)\^\)

    "pibbur" <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote in message

    > Anyhow, from what I see on TV (CNN), it's a disaster. A city about
    > the size of our capital, almost completely (80%) under water. A
    > total destruction of the infrastructure. Thing are going to be very
    > difficult for a long time. FWIW: my condolances to my fellow
    > american dragons. I hope you're all safe.

    I have been gawking at images of destruction all week. Apparently
    today food and supplies finally started arriving. But the hurricane
    was several days ago. Some of the things I wonder:

    a) why the shelters lacked adequate supplies for an predictable
    calamity?

    b) why anyone chose to stay at home and not go to shelters or leave
    town when the mandatory evacuation was ordered?

    c) Why were citizens left to arrange their own means for evacuation;
    that is, why was there no transportation already established to move
    people out of the city or to shelters in the city? Why was there
    anyone stuck begging for rides from their neighbors?

    d) why it wasn't raining rations and supplies the minute it was safe
    enough to fly airlifts over the city?

    e) After 9/11, there was enormous pressure on making the government
    much more responsive to huge disasters. One would think Katrina would
    be the place where this heightened ability to respond would be
    showcased, but all we see is incompetence.

    f) It seems like anyone should have expected a city infamous for its
    crime rates to explode in a fury of looting and roaming gangs, such as
    the one that evicted all the residents of a nursing home that had
    adequately prepared for a week but had neglected to buy guns for staff
    to defend the building. Why are police "outgunned" and "undermanned"?

    Will the response be this awful the next time terrorists strike, or
    the next time a massive earthquake impacts California? If the
    government can't prepare adequately for very predictable disasters,
    what about the unpredictable ones?

    Oy.

    -Ophidian
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    > interNIC.com is still hosting sites from the middle of downtown.
    > They're
    > in a 10 story building with their own diesel generator and are
    > protected
    > from looters by the fact that the lower floors are being used as a
    > staging
    > area for the national guardsmen.
    > If you want to listen to the Astrodome command center you can tune
    > Winamp
    > to http://216.14.30.229:8002/.

    Evidently they have exceeded their Bellsouth bandwidth!

    -Ophidian
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 04:15:57 +0200, Zac Bond <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:

    > "pibbur" <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote in message
    >
    >> Anyhow, from what I see on TV (CNN), it's a disaster. A city about
    >> the size of our capital, almost completely (80%) under water. A
    >> total destruction of the infrastructure. Thing are going to be very
    >> difficult for a long time. FWIW: my condolances to my fellow
    >> american dragons. I hope you're all safe.
    >
    > I have been gawking at images of destruction all week. Apparently
    > today food and supplies finally started arriving. But the hurricane
    > was several days ago. Some of the things I wonder:
    >
    > a) why the shelters lacked adequate supplies for an predictable
    > calamity?
    >
    > b) why anyone chose to stay at home and not go to shelters or leave
    > town when the mandatory evacuation was ordered?
    >
    > c) Why were citizens left to arrange their own means for evacuation;
    > that is, why was there no transportation already established to move
    > people out of the city or to shelters in the city? Why was there
    > anyone stuck begging for rides from their neighbors?
    >
    > d) why it wasn't raining rations and supplies the minute it was safe
    > enough to fly airlifts over the city?
    >
    > e) After 9/11, there was enormous pressure on making the government
    > much more responsive to huge disasters. One would think Katrina would
    > be the place where this heightened ability to respond would be
    > showcased, but all we see is incompetence.
    >
    > f) It seems like anyone should have expected a city infamous for its
    > crime rates to explode in a fury of looting and roaming gangs, such as
    > the one that evicted all the residents of a nursing home that had
    > adequately prepared for a week but had neglected to buy guns for staff
    > to defend the building. Why are police "outgunned" and "undermanned"?

    When the infrastructure of an entire city is destroyed, a certain degree
    of chaos is inevitable. But from what you describe, I understand that this
    goes far beyond that.

    > Will the response be this awful the next time terrorists strike, or
    > the next time a massive earthquake impacts California? If the
    > government can't prepare adequately for very predictable disasters,
    > what about the unpredictable ones?

    Well said.

    > Oy.

    Dark tower?

    --
    pibbur
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> earned a wedgie by saying:

    >"pibbur" <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote in message
    >
    >> Anyhow, from what I see on TV (CNN), it's a disaster. A city about
    >> the size of our capital, almost completely (80%) under water. A
    >> total destruction of the infrastructure. Thing are going to be very
    >> difficult for a long time. FWIW: my condolances to my fellow
    >> american dragons. I hope you're all safe.
    >
    >I have been gawking at images of destruction all week. Apparently
    >today food and supplies finally started arriving. But the hurricane
    >was several days ago. Some of the things I wonder:
    >
    >b) why anyone chose to stay at home and not go to shelters or leave
    >town when the mandatory evacuation was ordered?

    Well, a little investigation showed that they actually couldn't get
    anywhere in time. The last census (2000) showed that a vast majority
    of the residents in New Orleans are completely dependent on mass
    transit systems and don't have personal transportation. They managed
    to get a couple bus loads of people out, but when they turned around
    to try to go back for more, the storm had already struck and the buses
    couldn't get through, what with the roads being washed away and all.
    Poor planning on the city's part? Probably. It seems a little bit like
    class warfare.

    One of the more interesting things I've heard was a congressman (I
    believe it was Dennis Hastert) saying that he questions the wisdom of
    spending billions to rebuild a city that's seven feet below sea level.
    When you think about it, that actually seems logical...coming from a
    politician.

    And with the focus on New Orleans, a lot of people don't remember that
    there were other towns in the way of Katrina, too. At least one, Bond,
    Mississippi, as been completely wiped off the map, with not one
    building left standing.

    --
    Dalboz Dragon -=(UDIC and Grass Growth Analyst of dANIP)=-
    AIM: BeerStud362

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:23:11 +0200, Dalboz Dragon <someone@somewhere.net>
    wrote:

    > "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> earned a wedgie by saying:
    >

    >> "pibbur" <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote in message

    > And with the focus on New Orleans, a lot of people don't remember that
    > there were other towns in the way of Katrina, too. At least one, Bond,
    > Mississippi, as been completely wiped off the map, with not one
    > building left standing.

    Yes, I just saw it on the news today - there are a lot of small towns
    severely affected by the storm, and they (that is the inhabitants) fear
    they will be overlooked.

    That's the problem with the "information society", some catastrophes get
    the intention of the media while others, just as serious, are forgotten.

    In 1995 there was an outbreak of Ebola haemorrhagic fever in Zaire, about
    250 people died. Huge hadlines in (at least norwegian) news media. But
    every year sleeping sickness kills around 40,000 in Africa. No mention at
    all.

    --
    pibbur who at the moment is not part of any catastrophe, although he does
    have a cat

  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:07:11 GMT, pibbur
    <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:

    >In 1995 there was an outbreak of Ebola haemorrhagic fever in Zaire, about
    >250 people died. Huge hadlines in (at least norwegian) news media. But
    >every year sleeping sickness kills around 40,000 in Africa. No mention at
    >all.

    Well, Ebola is a contagious disease and was in the news at the time
    already from several books and movies. The Tsetse fly has been biting
    people in that area for a long time - hardly news anymore. That is why
    it's called "new"s. I doubt we'll hear much more about Katrina after
    another week or two. We already never hear about the tsunami anymore but
    I doubt the areas affected by that have recovered.
    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
    RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 08:23:11 GMT, someone@somewhere.net (Dalboz
    Dragon) wrote:

    >"Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> earned a wedgie by saying:
    >

    >One of the more interesting things I've heard was a congressman (I
    >believe it was Dennis Hastert) saying that he questions the wisdom of
    >spending billions to rebuild a city that's seven feet below sea level.
    >When you think about it, that actually seems logical...coming from a
    >politician.

    I'm probably gonna get some flack for this, but it *is* logical.
    Coming from a non-politician (and someone who would make a terrible
    politician at that -- I'm too honest). If this was a disaster waiting
    to happen and "predictable," why create it again? Exactly why *would*
    you spent billions to rebuild such a city? I wonder if people are too
    busy being emotional to even think logically.

    I'm not particularly fond of my tax money, when I can hardly afford
    taxes to begin with, goes to places that are predictably unstable and
    people are too dumb to move elsewhere. It's a little like a neighbor
    not fixing a leak in their roof and then expecting everyone else to
    help when stuff in her house gets damaged.

    Sorry, but I've gotten to the point I'm having a hard time feeling
    sorry for all these hurricane victims, or the earthquakes in CA. In a
    totally unusual area is different... I have a particularly big issue
    with people like this lady I know who got hit by the hurricanes in
    Florida last year and made some comment about knowing "how to handle
    it" just like always... so if you've had hurricanes there so often,
    why the hell are you still there? Don't feel the least bit sorry for
    her, nope.

    --

    Erimess Dragon
    -==(UDIC)==-

    d++e+NT++Om UK!1!2!3!A!L!
    U+uCuFuG+++uLB+uA+ nC+nH+nP+nS++nT-xa4

    This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
    may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
    are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
    ~William Penn
    In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    "Dalboz Dragon" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message

    >>b) why anyone chose to stay at home and not go to shelters or leave
    >>town when the mandatory evacuation was ordered?
    >
    > Well, a little investigation showed that they actually couldn't get
    > anywhere in time. The last census (2000) showed that a vast majority
    > of the residents in New Orleans are completely dependent on mass

    Well, I meant either going to one of the shelters inside the city, if
    they can't actually leave the city.

    Of course, since the "shelters" were unsupplied and unprepared it
    didn't matter much, but 'in theory' going to the superdome and the
    civic center should have been possible for everyone--or more to the
    point, it should have been MADE possible by virtue of public
    transportation, etc.

    It does seem absurd for the city to say, "you have to evacuate...but
    you gotta organize your own means."

    Awful planning + incompetent response = even bigger disaster...

    -Ophidian

Video Games