text to speech voices

Last response: in Video Games
September 3, 2005 6:37:26 AM

So I've been looking to find a text to speech replacement for Microsft
Sam that comes with Windows XP. I use a program to read news articles
to me as I have dinner. I found a few sites so far that sell or have
created for others to someday sell text to speech voices:

AT&T: http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html
Bell Labs: http://www.bell-labs.com/project/tts/voices.html
NeoSpeech: http://www.neospeech.com/demo/demo_text.php

Easily the best so far is AT&T's female UK voice, which managed to
distinguish between the two "read" words in the following sentence:

I read the book today. I will read the book tomorrow. I enjoyed that
Rachmaninov piece! Can you play some Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart for me?
Or maybe Shania Twain?

I found a site that links to a few other places, but all of the
software has very similar problems--unnatural clickings between
syllables and so on. Basically I'm trying to find an ideal voice for
my program that reads Winap songs as I play them. Does anyone have
one they think is best?

-Ophidian

More about : text speech voices

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 6:51:19 AM

As an addendum, I decided Cepstral's "William" was good enough to
download:

http://www.cepstral.com/demos/

-Ophidian
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:27:10 PM

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 02:37:26 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:

>So I've been looking to find a text to speech replacement for Microsft
>Sam that comes with Windows XP. I use a program to read news articles
>to me as I have dinner. I found a few sites so far that sell or have
>created for others to someday sell text to speech voices:

Sam? Is that a refinement of the old Atari computer program of the
same name, Software Automatic Mouth?
--
Optician Dragon
-=UDIC=-

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:27:10 +0200, Optician Dragon
<dragonlensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 02:37:26 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:
>
>> So I've been looking to find a text to speech replacement for Microsft
>> Sam that comes with Windows XP. I use a program to read news articles
>> to me as I have dinner. I found a few sites so far that sell or have
>> created for others to someday sell text to speech voices:
>>

> Sam? Is that a refinement of the old Atari computer program of the
> same name, Software Automatic Mouth?

I bet they just bought it and added a few cosmetic features.

--
pibbur, in his Micro$oft=evil mode.

September 14, 2005 4:30:31 AM

Words to the wise, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:

>So I've been looking to find a text to speech replacement for Microsft
>Sam that comes with Windows XP. I use a program to read news articles
>to me as I have dinner. I found a few sites so far that sell or have
>created for others to someday sell text to speech voices:
>
>AT&T: http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html

The at&t one is the best free out there.

Other than that, you can always try Lucent or Elan, but I seriously
doubt they have cheap versions.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 3:33:41 PM

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:30:31 GMT, Claus Dragon scrawled:

> Words to the wise, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:
>
>>So I've been looking to find a text to speech replacement for Microsft
>>Sam that comes with Windows XP. I use a program to read news articles
>>to me as I have dinner. I found a few sites so far that sell or have
>>created for others to someday sell text to speech voices:
>>
>>AT&T: http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html
>

> The at&t one is the best free out there.
>
> Other than that, you can always try Lucent or Elan, but I seriously
> doubt they have cheap versions.

Is there a link to download the engine somewhere? You say it's free, but I
can't find anything other than the demo page (no links on there to get the
engine for free).

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 3:00:37 AM

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:30:31 +0200, Claus Dragon
<claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

> Words to the wise, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:
>
>> So I've been looking to find a text to speech replacement for Microsft
>> Sam that comes with Windows XP. I use a program to read news articles
>> to me as I have dinner. I found a few sites so far that sell or have
>> created for others to someday sell text to speech voices:
>>
>> AT&T: http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html
>

> The at&t one is the best free out there.
>
> Other than that, you can always try Lucent or Elan, but I seriously
> doubt they have cheap versions.

The now free-as-in-beer Opera browser is supposed to have some speech
capabilities too (both interpreting spoken commands and reading pages out
loud), but it's apparently not available on Linux, so I haven't tested it
myself.

--
Aewyn Dragon d- e+ N+ T- Om UK!1!2!3!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!9
-==(UDIC)==- u+ uC uF- uG uLB uA nC+ nH+ y a26