text to speech voices

So I've been looking to find a text to speech replacement for Microsft
Sam that comes with Windows XP. I use a program to read news articles
to me as I have dinner. I found a few sites so far that sell or have
created for others to someday sell text to speech voices:

AT&T: http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html
Bell Labs: http://www.bell-labs.com/project/tts/voices.html
NeoSpeech: http://www.neospeech.com/demo/demo_text.php

Easily the best so far is AT&T's female UK voice, which managed to
distinguish between the two "read" words in the following sentence:

I read the book today. I will read the book tomorrow. I enjoyed that
Rachmaninov piece! Can you play some Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart for me?
Or maybe Shania Twain?

I found a site that links to a few other places, but all of the
software has very similar problems--unnatural clickings between
syllables and so on. Basically I'm trying to find an ideal voice for
my program that reads Winap songs as I play them. Does anyone have
one they think is best?

-Ophidian
7 answers Last reply
More about text speech voices
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    As an addendum, I decided Cepstral's "William" was good enough to
    download:

    http://www.cepstral.com/demos/

    -Ophidian
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 02:37:26 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:

    >So I've been looking to find a text to speech replacement for Microsft
    >Sam that comes with Windows XP. I use a program to read news articles
    >to me as I have dinner. I found a few sites so far that sell or have
    >created for others to someday sell text to speech voices:

    Sam? Is that a refinement of the old Atari computer program of the
    same name, Software Automatic Mouth?
    --
    Optician Dragon
    -=UDIC=-

    On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:27:10 +0200, Optician Dragon
    <dragonlensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

    > On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 02:37:26 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:
    >
    >> So I've been looking to find a text to speech replacement for Microsft
    >> Sam that comes with Windows XP. I use a program to read news articles
    >> to me as I have dinner. I found a few sites so far that sell or have
    >> created for others to someday sell text to speech voices:
    >>

    > Sam? Is that a refinement of the old Atari computer program of the
    > same name, Software Automatic Mouth?

    I bet they just bought it and added a few cosmetic features.

    --
    pibbur, in his Micro$oft=evil mode.

  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Words to the wise, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:

    >So I've been looking to find a text to speech replacement for Microsft
    >Sam that comes with Windows XP. I use a program to read news articles
    >to me as I have dinner. I found a few sites so far that sell or have
    >created for others to someday sell text to speech voices:
    >
    >AT&T: http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html

    The at&t one is the best free out there.

    Other than that, you can always try Lucent or Elan, but I seriously
    doubt they have cheap versions.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:30:31 GMT, Claus Dragon scrawled:

    > Words to the wise, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:
    >
    >>So I've been looking to find a text to speech replacement for Microsft
    >>Sam that comes with Windows XP. I use a program to read news articles
    >>to me as I have dinner. I found a few sites so far that sell or have
    >>created for others to someday sell text to speech voices:
    >>
    >>AT&T: http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html
    >

    > The at&t one is the best free out there.
    >
    > Other than that, you can always try Lucent or Elan, but I seriously
    > doubt they have cheap versions.

    Is there a link to download the engine somewhere? You say it's free, but I
    can't find anything other than the demo page (no links on there to get the
    engine for free).

    --
    http://www.rexx.co.uk

    To email me, visit the site.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Unfortunately they aren't free.
    http://nextup.com/TextAloud/SpeechEngine/voices.html
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:30:31 +0200, Claus Dragon
    <claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

    > Words to the wise, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:
    >
    >> So I've been looking to find a text to speech replacement for Microsft
    >> Sam that comes with Windows XP. I use a program to read news articles
    >> to me as I have dinner. I found a few sites so far that sell or have
    >> created for others to someday sell text to speech voices:
    >>
    >> AT&T: http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html
    >

    > The at&t one is the best free out there.
    >
    > Other than that, you can always try Lucent or Elan, but I seriously
    > doubt they have cheap versions.

    The now free-as-in-beer Opera browser is supposed to have some speech
    capabilities too (both interpreting spoken commands and reading pages out
    loud), but it's apparently not available on Linux, so I haven't tested it
    myself.

    --
    Aewyn Dragon d- e+ N+ T- Om UK!1!2!3!4!5!6!7'!S'!8!9
    -==(UDIC)==- u+ uC uF- uG uLB uA nC+ nH+ y a26

Video Games