ronnie

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2001
Hi all.

I'm really close to buying a Sony G520 21" CRT monitor. This monitor has been used for 3 years, so its warranty is in the end. I could get this for a price of 290€. Is it wise to buy this thing, I know its price is about 1100€ if I buy a new one, but on the other hand I've read somewhere it's not extremely good monitor. Any thoughts? Is this a good purchase? Thanks in advance!

dhlucke

Polypheme
A 3 year old 21" CRT for $543?

That sounds like a really shitty deal to me....

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
That is a really good monitor but a 3yr old used one is not worth that price. Where are you finding them new? Those haven't been in production for quite a while. There are refurbished ones for sale at some places and they are cheaper than that 3yr old used one you found.

If you are going to spend that much on a monitor go for a NEC/Mitsubishi DiamondTron. It is pretty much the same as Sonys Trinitron but is still in production so you can find them new and with a good warranty. A new 22" DiamondTron costs about the same as that 3yr old used G520 you found :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

ronnie

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2001
No no :) 290 euros is like 375 USD. Or actually the price is 249, but the transportation costs another 40.

I was originally going to buy a Samsung 959NF 19" monitor for the same exact price, but now wondering which I should choose.

Other 21" monitors are quite pricy here in Finland. Maybe Samsung 1100DF is the only one I can afford with a price of 450€ (euros :) I haven't even seen Mitsubishi monitors here. NEC is quite rare also.

edit: that 1100€ price is just what a Finnish price-watch site told me, but there are only 2 stores in Finland that have them as new ones<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ronnie on 01/22/05 03:54 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I checked the currency exchange rate. I didn't do a rough approximation. It's too much.

Then again you might be limited by living in Finland. Why don't head to Poland and buy one there?

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA

ronnie

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2001
No no, you checked it wrong.... just trust me on this, or check again from another source. 290 € is no way near 500 USD, and it's way under 400 USD.

So, if I'm right about this currency issue(and I'm pretty sure I am), is this purchase still bad..?

dhlucke

Polypheme
My bad, I was thinking it was pounds. It's $378.

I think it's up to you. That's a lot of money for a 3 year old monitor though in my opinion. Maybe I'm just paranoid though.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I dont know anything about the market for CRT's where you live, but that seems to be way to high for a three year old monitor.

To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue:

ronnie

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2001
Ok, thanks.

I think I'm going for it, I can't afford a new 21" monitor, as those costs about 600€, or I could get Samsung 1100DF for 450€, but I think that's not a very good monitor. So now it's either this used Sony, or that 19" Samsung 959NF for the same price. It would be nice to have bigger screen of course. I really have to think this through.

ronnie

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2001
Ok, I just ordered the Sony monitor. Now I just hope it will last for a couple of years. I'll let you know when it breaks down so you can say "i told you so..." ;)

dhlucke

Polypheme
A bit late now, but what about my Poland suggestion?

ronnie

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2001
Well, that's a tad too big a project. If I had some relatives or friends down there, then it wouldn't be too bad an idea.

dhlucke

Polypheme
You have the Baltic states too. I just mentioned Poland since it was dirt cheap there. I got there from Stockholm relatively cheap on a ferry and a basic room only cost around 9 euro more so you don't have to suffer all night long.

ronnie

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2001
Yea, you are right about that. Estonia might be a good place to buy electronics. And it would be nice to make a trip there anyways. Oh, well, what's done is done.