The General Advice is to back up critical data file before installing SP2. A
direct way, for us, would be to copy the Documents and Settings user sub
files to CDs for each of our system users. That way our Documents, Emails,
Favourites and Photos will be saved with one copy.

There are really two users both of whom are administrators; my wife, my
self. The third user is "All Users'.

I have run into several problems.

Problem 1. From within my desk top I tried to copy my folder, a sub of
Documets and Settings, by going to My Computer, Local Disk, Documents and
Settings and my folder. I right clicked on my folder's name. In the drop
down menu I clicked "Send To". In the next menu I chose either "DirectCD
drive (D)" or "CD-RW Drive (D:)". In either case I get an error message
"The destination folder is a sub folder of the source folder." If I close
the error message the copy operation aborts.

The CD write operation appears to make a copy of the target file as a
preparation for the copying. The actual copy is not done till directed. Do
I get that error message because the temporary work space used in the copy
procedure is within my folder? Or, what is the reason? What's the work
arround?

While trying for a work arround I noticed that I could copy other users D&S
folders. I successfully copied the All Users data.

Problem 2 I tried to copy my wife's subfolder in D&S following the same
procedure. But after clicking on a destination in "Sent to" nothing happens.
No action; no error message. I've tried to open her folder directly but
get a warning message "C:Documents and Settings\Andi is not accessible.
Access denied." We both have administrator privilages. That's how I set the
system up. She has no problem accessing my D&S files from her desk top. So
why am I blocked?

Problem 3 I move to her desk top intending to copy out my D&S files
following the same procedure. The copy appears to start but I'm asked for a
NET Passport ID and password. She has none because we don't use that
facility. But why do I need it when working in her desk top and not in mine?
While I recently set mine up so that I could work with a grandson, I have
made several copies to CD before that without being asked for NET data

gener wrote:

> The General Advice is to back up critical data file before installing SP2. A
> direct way, for us, would be to copy the Documents and Settings user sub
> files to CDs for each of our system users. That way our Documents, Emails,
> Favourites and Photos will be saved with one copy.
>
> There are really two users both of whom are administrators; my wife, my
> self. The third user is "All Users'.
>
> I have run into several problems.
>
> Problem 1. From within my desk top I tried to copy my folder, a sub of
> Documets and Settings, by going to My Computer, Local Disk, Documents and
> Settings and my folder. I right clicked on my folder's name. In the drop
> down menu I clicked "Send To". In the next menu I chose either "DirectCD
> drive (D)" or "CD-RW Drive (D:)". In either case I get an error message
> "The destination folder is a sub folder of the source folder." If I close
> the error message the copy operation aborts.
>
> The CD write operation appears to make a copy of the target file as a
> preparation for the copying. The actual copy is not done till directed. Do
> I get that error message because the temporary work space used in the copy
> procedure is within my folder? Or, what is the reason? What's the work
> arround?
>
> While trying for a work arround I noticed that I could copy other users D&S
> folders. I successfully copied the All Users data.
>
> Problem 2 I tried to copy my wife's subfolder in D&S following the same
> procedure. But after clicking on a destination in "Sent to" nothing happens.
> No action; no error message. I've tried to open her folder directly but
> get a warning message "C:Documents and Settings\Andi is not accessible.
> Access denied." We both have administrator privilages. That's how I set the
> system up. She has no problem accessing my D&S files from her desk top. So
> why am I blocked?
>
> Problem 3 I move to her desk top intending to copy out my D&S files
> following the same procedure. The copy appears to start but I'm asked for a
> NET Passport ID and password. She has none because we don't use that
> facility. But why do I need it when working in her desk top and not in mine?
> While I recently set mine up so that I could work with a grandson, I have
> made several copies to CD before that without being asked for NET data

I suspect you may be bumping into the CDFS (Compact Disc File System)
limitations of maximum 64 character filenames and maximum 8 directory
levels from the root directory.

Steve

Steve

"Steve N." wrote:

> gener wrote:
>
> > The General Advice is to back up critical data file before installing SP2. A
> > direct way, for us, would be to copy the Documents and Settings user sub
> > files to CDs for each of our system users. That way our Documents, Emails,
> > Favourites and Photos will be saved with one copy.
> >
> > There are really two users both of whom are administrators; my wife, my
> > self. The third user is "All Users'.
> >
> > I have run into several problems.
> >
> > Problem 1. From within my desk top I tried to copy my folder, a sub of
> > Documets and Settings, by going to My Computer, Local Disk, Documents and
> > Settings and my folder. I right clicked on my folder's name. In the drop
> > down menu I clicked "Send To". In the next menu I chose either "DirectCD
> > drive (D)" or "CD-RW Drive (D:)". In either case I get an error message
> > "The destination folder is a sub folder of the source folder." If I close
> > the error message the copy operation aborts.
> >
> > The CD write operation appears to make a copy of the target file as a
> > preparation for the copying. The actual copy is not done till directed. Do
> > I get that error message because the temporary work space used in the copy
> > procedure is within my folder? Or, what is the reason? What's the work
> > arround?
> >
> > While trying for a work arround I noticed that I could copy other users D&S
> > folders. I successfully copied the All Users data.
> >
> > Problem 2 I tried to copy my wife's subfolder in D&S following the same
> > procedure. But after clicking on a destination in "Sent to" nothing happens.
> > No action; no error message. I've tried to open her folder directly but
> > get a warning message "C:Documents and Settings\Andi is not accessible.
> > Access denied." We both have administrator privilages. That's how I set the
> > system up. She has no problem accessing my D&S files from her desk top. So
> > why am I blocked?
> >
> > Problem 3 I move to her desk top intending to copy out my D&S files
> > following the same procedure. The copy appears to start but I'm asked for a
> > NET Passport ID and password. She has none because we don't use that
> > facility. But why do I need it when working in her desk top and not in mine?
> > While I recently set mine up so that I could work with a grandson, I have
> > made several copies to CD before that without being asked for NET data
> >

> I suspect you may be bumping into the CDFS (Compact Disc File System)
> limitations of maximum 64 character filenames and maximum 8 directory
> levels from the root directory.
>
> Steve
>

> Steve
> The folders that I want to move are at the third level, counting the root.

However, does that 64 character limit apply only to the file neame or to the
whole path from the root?

gener wrote:

> "Steve N." wrote:
>

>>gener wrote:
>>

>>>The General Advice is to back up critical data file before installing SP2. A
>>>direct way, for us, would be to copy the Documents and Settings user sub
>>>files to CDs for each of our system users. That way our Documents, Emails,
>>>Favourites and Photos will be saved with one copy.
>>>
>>>There are really two users both of whom are administrators; my wife, my
>>>self. The third user is "All Users'.
>>>
>>>I have run into several problems.
>>>
>>>Problem 1. From within my desk top I tried to copy my folder, a sub of
>>>Documets and Settings, by going to My Computer, Local Disk, Documents and
>>>Settings and my folder. I right clicked on my folder's name. In the drop
>>>down menu I clicked "Send To". In the next menu I chose either "DirectCD
>>>drive (D)" or "CD-RW Drive (D:)". In either case I get an error message
>>>"The destination folder is a sub folder of the source folder." If I close
>>>the error message the copy operation aborts.
>>>
>>>The CD write operation appears to make a copy of the target file as a
>>>preparation for the copying. The actual copy is not done till directed. Do
>>>I get that error message because the temporary work space used in the copy
>>>procedure is within my folder? Or, what is the reason? What's the work
>>>arround?
>>>
>>>While trying for a work arround I noticed that I could copy other users D&S
>>>folders. I successfully copied the All Users data.
>>>
>>>Problem 2 I tried to copy my wife's subfolder in D&S following the same
>>>procedure. But after clicking on a destination in "Sent to" nothing happens.
>>> No action; no error message. I've tried to open her folder directly but
>>>get a warning message "C:Documents and Settings\Andi is not accessible.
>>>Access denied." We both have administrator privilages. That's how I set the
>>>system up. She has no problem accessing my D&S files from her desk top. So
>>>why am I blocked?
>>>
>>>Problem 3 I move to her desk top intending to copy out my D&S files
>>>following the same procedure. The copy appears to start but I'm asked for a
>>>NET Passport ID and password. She has none because we don't use that
>>>facility. But why do I need it when working in her desk top and not in mine?
>>> While I recently set mine up so that I could work with a grandson, I have
>>>made several copies to CD before that without being asked for NET data
>>>

>>I suspect you may be bumping into the CDFS (Compact Disc File System)
>>limitations of maximum 64 character filenames and maximum 8 directory
>>levels from the root directory.
>>
>>Steve
>>

>>Steve
>>The folders that I want to move are at the third level, counting the root.
>

> However, does that 64 character limit apply only to the file neame or to the
> whole path from the root?

Both, it applies to the path and the filename together as a Table Of
Contents entry. The TOC can't hold entries longer than 64 characters each.

You can use archival methods (like Zip) to overcome this by combining
long folders/files into single archive files and then burn those archive
files to the CD. An extra step but it will work and the archival
method's compression will help get more data onto the CD.

Steve

"Steve N." wrote:

> gener wrote:

> >>I suspect you may be bumping into the CDFS (Compact Disc File System)
> >>limitations of maximum 64 character filenames and maximum 8 directory
> >>levels from the root directory.
> >>
> >>Steve
> >>

> >>Steve
> >>The folders that I want to move are at the third level, counting the root.
> >

> > However, does that 64 character limit apply only to the file neame or to the
> > whole path from the root?
>
> Both, it applies to the path and the filename together as a Table Of
> Contents entry. The TOC can't hold entries longer than 64 characters each.
>
> You can use archival methods (like Zip) to overcome this by combining
> long folders/files into single archive files and then burn those archive
> files to the CD. An extra step but it will work and the archival
> method's compression will help get more data onto the CD.
>
> Steve

Thanks.

Any clues about the other two parts of my problem; unable to open other
administrator's files although she can open mine, and why the NET Passport is
required?

GeneR

gener wrote:

> "Steve N." wrote:
>

>>gener wrote:

>>>However, does that 64 character limit apply only to the file neame or to the
>>>whole path from the root?
>>
>>Both, it applies to the path and the filename together as a Table Of
>>Contents entry. The TOC can't hold entries longer than 64 characters each.
>>
>>You can use archival methods (like Zip) to overcome this by combining
>>long folders/files into single archive files and then burn those archive
>>files to the CD. An extra step but it will work and the archival
>>method's compression will help get more data onto the CD.
>>
>>Steve
>>

> Thanks.

You're welcome.

> Any clues about the other two parts of my problem; unable to open other
> administrator's files although she can open mine, and why the NET Passport is
> required?
>
> GeneR

I can't help you with the .NET Passport issue since I have no experience
with it and next to no knowledge of it, but not being able to open
another admin's files might be an ownership issue and this link might help:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

Steve

"Steve N." wrote:

> gener wrote:

> >>Both, it applies to the path and the filename together as a Table Of
> >>Contents entry. The TOC can't hold entries longer than 64 characters each.
> >>
> >>You can use archival methods (like Zip) to overcome this by combining
> >>long folders/files into single archive files and then burn those archive
> >>files to the CD. An extra step but it will work and the archival
> >>method's compression will help get more data onto the CD.
> >>
> >>Steve
> >>

> > Thanks.
>
> You're welcome.
>

> > Any clues about the other two parts of my problem; unable to open other
> > administrator's files although she can open mine, and why the NET Passport is
> > required?
> >
> > GeneR
>
> I can't help you with the .NET Passport issue since I have no experience
> with it and next to no knowledge of it, but not being able to open
> another admin's files might be an ownership issue and this link might help:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech
>
> Steve

Again thanks. I'll leave the thread alive to troll some more. If no answer
shortly, I'll make a new post with only the last two problems

GeneR