New hardware wizard??

Whenever I uninstall a program the computer restarts with the new hardware
wizard and seems to assume that some "exe" or "dll" is part of some hardware
I still have on my system. I am running XP home and have Zone alarm, AVG &
Anti-spyware installed so I know I do not have any infestation but it is
extremely annoying. I have restored to before I installed anything but still
get this problem... Anyone got any ideas or should I just bite the bullet and
re-install (and lose all my carefully installed updates) the whole caboodle?
Much help appreciated.... Dave
--
I don't know much.... but I appreciate everything
1 answer Last reply

    Dave, try this

    The Add New Hardware Wizard in Windows XP appears at every boot up Problem
    Every time the Windows XP system starts up its Add New Hardware Wizard comes
    up and wants to install the drivers for a printer or a scanner even though
    the peripheral device is already loaded and working.

    Microsoft states that this is a known issue in Windows XP Home and
    Professional when a peripheral device is loaded without using the hardware
    wizard.

    The fix

    When the Add New Hardware Wizard comes up at start-up, click on Next, and
    let it run. At the end it still says that it can't find the required
    software. Just click Finish instead of Cancel and the wizard should stop
    coming up.

    > Whenever I uninstall a program the computer restarts with the new hardware
    > wizard and seems to assume that some "exe" or "dll" is part of some
    > hardware
    > I still have on my system. I am running XP home and have Zone alarm, AVG &
    > Anti-spyware installed so I know I do not have any infestation but it is
    > extremely annoying. I have restored to before I installed anything but
    > still
    > get this problem... Anyone got any ideas or should I just bite the bullet
    > and
    > re-install (and lose all my carefully installed updates) the whole
    > caboodle?
    > Much help appreciated.... Dave
    > --
    > I don't know much.... but I appreciate everything

Hardware Microsoft Windows XP