Will a new OEM product key work on a preinstalled windows 7

berict

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
So right to the point, I recently built a new rig and once I finished hooking everything up I grabbed my windows 7 reinstallation key from my old computer (I bought off of Ibuypower). Now obviously I quickly learned that I cannot attach this to my new motherboard but I do have windows 7 partially working on my new rig (posting with it now). My question is - Is it possible for me to buy another OEM key (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986) and just enter the product key to properly active my current version or would I need to completely wipe my new rig and install the OS from scratch with a proper product key.

Appreciate it,
-Berict

Solution

OEM CD keys are tied to the motherboard's firmware. This will allow you to use the same CD key on two different computers but only if they have the same motherboard model. With Windows 8 this may change to restrict OEM keys to the same single motherboard.

Since I assume that this is the reason your instance isn't working you can get a new key and activate it without issue. You should be able to use Windows 7 for 30 days before you are required to activate it.

berict

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Well from my understanding an OEM must be used on the first boot up (could be dead wrong on this) so I was mostly asking if I could buy the oem rather than the full version (about $100 difference) to put in a proper product key

OEM CD keys are tied to the motherboard's firmware. This will allow you to use the same CD key on two different computers but only if they have the same motherboard model. With Windows 8 this may change to restrict OEM keys to the same single motherboard.

Since I assume that this is the reason your instance isn't working you can get a new key and activate it without issue. You should be able to use Windows 7 for 30 days before you are required to activate it.

Solution

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Technically yes, new unused OEM key will work from the computer's standpoint. Answer already given above that switching keys is built-into windows.

But legally, OEM systembuilder keys are not supposed to be sold or used by the DIY individual homebuilder either. But by far this is the least enforced thing, and I think you are in the clear.

Before you buy another key, If you want to try your luck at social engineering, you can call the microsoft hotline that pops up with your OLD key and say you upgraded your computer and installing windows and it's saying you need a key; and reports say *sometimes* the person answering the phone just gives you a new key.

The rule is supposed to be locked to the Mobo, and approved only if previous mobo was damaged or broken (not a working upgrade).
But the reality is Microsoft reps sometimes are lenient.

If you feel this is fraudulent, well in some sense it is microsoft rep that "approved" your usage and gave you the new key, so it is somewhat a grey area.

As long as you are not lying, I would say this is similar to a restaurant giving you a free dessert (and not because you misled or lied to them) or an airline upgrading your seat, or calling your cable company and them giving you a discount.

For all the straight-and-narrow folks, I challenge you to call your cable company and demand they charge you full price.

Again, I'll say you don't need to lie. But it is only *sometimes* they give you a new key.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Yes , you can do that as long as the Windows 7 installation disk is of the same type as the Activation code.

In other words Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit-OEM requires a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit-OEM activation code.

Windows 7 Home Premium 32/64 bit Full Version requires a Windows 7 Home Premium 32/64 bit Full version activation code.

Windows 7 Home Premium 32/64 bit Upgrade version requires a Windows 7 Home Premium 32/64 bit Upgrade version activation code.

Enter the code in the manner that Earnie detailed.

humphreybot

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
microsoft isnt as harsh as that, they understand that sometimes you have to upgrade. point being, if you contact their support and explain the situation, they will activate your new board, without you having to purchase a new copy of windows

All of the Windows installation disks are available online courtesy of Microsoft so it's really no issue to buy whatever edition the OP wants.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
the above poster does bring up a minor point although unrelated to his point.
The new license you buy should at least match or be a higher level.

If OP already installed Professional. Don't go buy a Home key and expect that to work.

But yea, if you want, try your luck with MSFT on the phone first and maybe you won't need to buy anything.