Your question

Regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE...my bad!!!

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
August 11, 2012 3:36:56 AM

Hello,

1. COMPUTER SYSTEM CHARACTERISTICS:

Windows 7 Pro
Intel Core i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20 GHz, water cooled.
16.0 GB RAM.
64-bit Operating System.
One (1) TB Western Digital Black hard drive (only one hard drive).
Twelve hundred (1200) watt Cooler Master power supply.

2. SYMPTOMS:

When I try to download software, I get a window titled "User Account Control". The message in the box says: "To continue, type an administrator password and then check Yes". Even though I know my passord, I can't key it in because there is no field to do so. The 'Yes' box is greyed out, so I can't say 'Yes. The 'No' box is active so to close the box I say 'No'. I get the same message for many other operations including trying to edit the registry.

3. ORIGINAL CONDITION OF MY COMPUTER:

When I received my new computer a few months ago, Window 7 Pro had been set up with two (2) users. I had no trouble downloading or doing anything. I set up my password and used it successfully many, many times.

4. WHAT I DID WRONG (My bad!!):

Since I'm the only user, I wanted the system to come up directly without having to key in a password. After doing a (much too cursory) review of UAC web articles, I decided not to use Control Panel to manipulate the UAC (WRONG, MY BAD!!). I keyed "regedit" then went to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/POLICIES/SYSTEM then clicked on SYSTEM to display the seventeen (17) items in the right panel. I changed item (5): 'EnableInstaller Detection'; then item six (6): 'EnabledUA'; and finally item seven (7): 'EnabledSecureUIAPaths'. All three (3) items were changed from state (0) to state (1). The result is that the system behaves as detailed in SYMPTOMS above.

WHAT I HOPE TO HAVE HAPPEN:

I would like to change the system back to the above item 3 'ORIGINAL CONDITION OF MY COMPUTER' detailed above. I was hoping that I can do this without re-installing Windows.
a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2012 3:48:32 AM

Ok, so have you gone in the registry and changed back what you originally changed???

Yes you have.

Ok, and it doesn't work as normal??? If it doesn't, you can try running Windows Repair from the windows DVD.
m
l
August 11, 2012 3:56:07 AM

dingo07 said:
Ok, so have you gone in the registry and changed back what you originally changed???

Yes you have.

Ok, and it doesn't work as normal??? If it doesn't, you can try running Windows Repair from the windows DVD.

Thanks. When I try to edit the registry back to original I get the User Account Control saying "to continue, type an administrato pssword and then click Yes". there is no field in which to type my password and the Yes is greyed out. All I can do is click on 'No".
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2012 3:58:30 AM

Boot into Safe Mode and do it from there
m
l
August 12, 2012 3:22:04 AM

dingo07 said:
Boot into Safe Mode and do it from there

Thanks again. Should have mentioned that I tried that and got a message 'no restore points found'. I'm going to re-post with more specific information. Thanks, Karl

The re-post is:

1. SYMPTOMS: When I try to download software, I get a window titled "User Account Control". The message in the box says: "To continue, type an administrator password and then check Yes". Even though I know my passord, I can't key it in because there is no field to do so. The 'Yes' box is greyed out, so I can't say 'Yes'. The 'No' box is active, so to close the box I say 'No'. I get the same message for many other operations including trying to edit the registry.
2. ORIGINAL CONDITION OF MY COMPUTER: When I received my new computer a few months ago, Window 7 Pro had been set up with two (2) users. I had no trouble downloading or doing anything. I set up my password and used it successfully many, many times.
3. WHAT I DID WRONG (My bad!!): Since I'm the only user, I wanted the system to come up directly without having to key in a password. After doing a much too cursory review of UAC web articles, I decided not to use Control Panel and instead to manipulate the UAC (-WRONG, MY BAD!!). I'm now taking notes on everything I do, but did not do so here. I think I keyed "regedit" then HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/POLICIES/SYSTEM, then clicked on SYSTEM to display seventeen (17) items in the right panel. For no good reason, I think I changed item 5, (EnableInstaller Detection); then item 6, (EnabledUA); and finally item 7, (EnabledSecureUIAPaths), from state zero (0) to state one (1). The sytem now operates as detailed in SYMPTOMS above. (However, I've seen information on the web where all of these values are in fact one [1]!!).
4. WHAT I'VE TRIED SO FAR: Thinking it may be true that the three (3) values above should be (0), I tried changing them from (1) to (0). The same box, "User Account Control", with no field in which to key my password appeared. I also tried to do a system restore to a previous state but got a message that there were no restore points.
5. WHAT I HOPE CAN BE DONE: I would like to change the system back to the above item 2 'ORIGINAL CONDITION OF MY COMPUTER'. I ALREADY know how to re-install Windows, but I was hoping that my system can be made right without re-installing Windows.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 12, 2012 6:37:01 AM

Have you tried this:

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation disc and then shut down your computer.

2. Restart your computer and then follow the instructions that appear to boot to the CD drive.

4. On the Install Windows page, or on the System Recovery Options page, choose your language and other preferences, and then click Next.
• If neither the Install Windows page nor the System Recovery Options page appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. (that's another topic)

5. Click Repair your computer.

6. Select the Windows installation you want to repair, and then click Next.

7. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair.
m
l
!