All please bow in the direction of Redmond...

OK, maybe not.

But the story is: I'm developing a database system to keep track of all
physicians, psychologists, institutions, you-name-it who request health
services in our health region (3 counties, 15-20 hospitals). The system is
supposed to be the master for such information, exposing information to
every other health-care system in the hospitals, using web-services,
messages, transaction files - whatever they can use.

The system will be based around SQLServer and Biztalk (for the
interfaces). (Our department IS very MS frienbdly, so I have to use the
tools they give me). I've limited experience with SQLServer, having mainly
worked with Oracle - not for development, and MySQL before.

What impresses me is how far development environments have come (and I'm
not referring particularly to MS Tools, although those are the ones I'll
use for this project. I know there are similar tools out there, I've used
some with MySQL). I've designed the database using Visio which creates the
necessary DDL scripts. All programming of database procedures, the
applications and biztalk is done through one single tool (as it happens VS
studio.net 2003). Things are defeinitely easier than they used to be (but
admittedly not as funny - I still think programming against the win32 API
or X-Windows API is among the most funny things I've ever done. Even
better than playing U7)

Hmm - soon they won't need IT professionals anymore... (Well, they said
the same in 1990, and it hasn't exactly come true).

Another piece of useless information from
--
pibbur

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:00:18 GMT, pibbur
<oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:

> I still think programming against the win32 API
>or X-Windows API is among the most funny things I've ever done. Even
>better than playing U7)

You're sick. You should call a doctor.

--

Erimess Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

d++e+NT++Om UK!1!2!3!A!L!
U+uCuFuG+++uLB+uA+ nC+nH+nP+nS++nT-xa4

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05

<erimess> wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:00:18 GMT, pibbur
> <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:
>
>> I still think programming against the win32 API
>>or X-Windows API is among the most funny things I've ever done. Even
>>better than playing U7)
>
> You're sick. You should call a doctor.

It's a good thing he has that database...

LVD

"pibbur" <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote in message
> All please bow in the direction of Redmond...
>
> OK, maybe not.
>
> But the story is: I'm developing a database system to keep track of all
> physicians, psychologists, institutions, you-name-it who request health
> services in our health region (3 counties, 15-20 hospitals). The system is
> supposed to be the master for such information, exposing information to
> every other health-care system in the hospitals, using web-services,
> messages, transaction files - whatever they can use.
>
> The system will be based around SQLServer and Biztalk (for the
> interfaces). (Our department IS very MS frienbdly, so I have to use the
> tools they give me). I've limited experience with SQLServer, having mainly
> worked with Oracle - not for development, and MySQL before.
>
> What impresses me is how far development environments have come (and I'm
> not referring particularly to MS Tools, although those are the ones I'll
> use for this project. I know there are similar tools out there, I've used
> some with MySQL). I've designed the database using Visio which creates the
> necessary DDL scripts. All programming of database procedures, the
> applications and biztalk is done through one single tool (as it happens VS
> studio.net 2003). Things are defeinitely easier than they used to be (but
> admittedly not as funny - I still think programming against the win32 API
> or X-Windows API is among the most funny things I've ever done. Even
> better than playing U7)
>
> Hmm - soon they won't need IT professionals anymore... (Well, they said
> the same in 1990, and it hasn't exactly come true).
>
> Another piece of useless information from
> --

Lately, I've mostly been working in SQL Server. The other day, I decided to
put together a website with PHP and MySQL. Turns out that MySQL doesn't
support subqueries!! What the hell? I have to re-organize my entire way of
thinking. Which.... won't take long, but anyway.

I say stop working on the tools and the ide's, and start workin on subquery
support! That goes for ALL of you!!

I'm happy to have supplied you with even more useless info. Smile, you're
not on camera!

LVD

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:41:48 +0200, <erimess> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:00:18 GMT, pibbur
> <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:
>
>> I still think programming against the win32 API
>> or X-Windows API is among the most funny things I've ever done. Even
>> better than playing U7)
>
> You're sick. You should call a doctor.

// Trying to type without my cat sitting on my lap attacking my hands

Yes. I know. Thanks for the compliment.
--
pibbur

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:40:14 +0200, Lord Vashnu Dragon
<lordv@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> "pibbur" <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote in message
>> All please bow in the direction of Redmond...
>>
>> OK, maybe not.
>>
>> But the story is: I'm developing a database system to keep track of all
>> physicians, psychologists, institutions, you-name-it who request health
>> services in our health region (3 counties, 15-20 hospitals). The system
>> is
>> supposed to be the master for such information, exposing information to
>> every other health-care system in the hospitals, using web-services,
>> messages, transaction files - whatever they can use.
>>
>> The system will be based around SQLServer and Biztalk (for the
>> interfaces). (Our department IS very MS frienbdly, so I have to use the
>> tools they give me). I've limited experience with SQLServer, having
>> mainly
>> worked with Oracle - not for development, and MySQL before.
>>
>> What impresses me is how far development environments have come (and I'm
>> not referring particularly to MS Tools, although those are the ones I'll
>> use for this project. I know there are similar tools out there, I've
>> used
>> some with MySQL). I've designed the database using Visio which creates
>> the
>> necessary DDL scripts. All programming of database procedures, the
>> applications and biztalk is done through one single tool (as it happens
>> VS
>> studio.net 2003). Things are defeinitely easier than they used to be
>> (but
>> admittedly not as funny - I still think programming against the win32
>> API
>> or X-Windows API is among the most funny things I've ever done. Even
>> better than playing U7)
>>
>> Hmm - soon they won't need IT professionals anymore... (Well, they said
>> the same in 1990, and it hasn't exactly come true).
>>
>> Another piece of useless information from
>> --
>
> Lately, I've mostly been working in SQL Server. The other day, I decided
> put together a website with PHP and MySQL. Turns out that MySQL doesn't
> support subqueries!! What the hell? I have to re-organize my entire way
> of
> thinking. Which.... won't take long, but anyway.

Subqueries are important. But Mysql 4.1 support (according to the mysql
site) subqueries, and in 5.x we get stored procedures, and to some degree
triggers.

> I say stop working on the tools and the ide's, and start workin on
> subquery
> support! That goes for ALL of you!!
>
> I'm happy to have supplied you with even more useless info. Smile, you're
> not on camera!

As you've obviously seen from my picture I'm comfortable with that.

--
pibbur

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:40:14 +0200, Lord Vashnu Dragon
> <lordv@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> "pibbur" <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote in message
>>> All please bow in the direction of Redmond...
>>>
>>> OK, maybe not.
>>>
>>> But the story is: I'm developing a database system to keep track of all
>>> physicians, psychologists, institutions, you-name-it who request health
>>> services in our health region (3 counties, 15-20 hospitals). The system
>>> is
>>> supposed to be the master for such information, exposing information to
>>> every other health-care system in the hospitals, using web-services,
>>> messages, transaction files - whatever they can use.
>>>
>>> The system will be based around SQLServer and Biztalk (for the
>>> interfaces). (Our department IS very MS frienbdly, so I have to use the
>>> tools they give me). I've limited experience with SQLServer, having
>>> mainly
>>> worked with Oracle - not for development, and MySQL before.
>>>
>>> What impresses me is how far development environments have come (and I'm
>>> not referring particularly to MS Tools, although those are the ones I'll
>>> use for this project. I know there are similar tools out there, I've
>>> used
>>> some with MySQL). I've designed the database using Visio which creates
>>> the
>>> necessary DDL scripts. All programming of database procedures, the
>>> applications and biztalk is done through one single tool (as it happens
>>> VS
>>> studio.net 2003). Things are defeinitely easier than they used to be
>>> (but
>>> admittedly not as funny - I still think programming against the win32
>>> API
>>> or X-Windows API is among the most funny things I've ever done. Even
>>> better than playing U7)
>>>
>>> Hmm - soon they won't need IT professionals anymore... (Well, they said
>>> the same in 1990, and it hasn't exactly come true).
>>>
>>> Another piece of useless information from
>>> --
>>
>> Lately, I've mostly been working in SQL Server. The other day, I decided
>> put together a website with PHP and MySQL. Turns out that MySQL doesn't
>> support subqueries!! What the hell? I have to re-organize my entire way
>> of
>> thinking. Which.... won't take long, but anyway.
>>
> Subqueries are important. But Mysql 4.1 support (according to the mysql
> site) subqueries, and in 5.x we get stored procedures, and to some degree
> triggers.

Ah. Just my luck then that my host runs MySQL 4.0.24 - awesome.

> As you've obviously seen from my picture I'm comfortable with that.

Not being on camera?

LVD

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:27:57 +0200, pibbur
<oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:41:48 +0200, <erimess> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:00:18 GMT, pibbur
>> <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:
>>
>>> I still think programming against the win32 API
>>> or X-Windows API is among the most funny things I've ever done. Even
>>> better than playing U7)
>>
>> You're sick. You should call a doctor.
>>
> // Trying to type without my cat sitting on my lap attacking my hands
>
> Yes. I know. Thanks for the compliment.

I'm sorry. I've lied to you. The most funny thing I've ever done is
programming using the OS/2 presentation manager API. My mistake.

--
pibbur/2