Router problem

First of all, I am a "lurker". I have subscribed to this newsgroup for
years and enjoy reading all the posts but rarely post myself. I'm hoping
someone can help me with a router problem. I have three computers all
hooked up wirelessly to a router in my house. I tried to hook a friends
router up tonight and got nowhere. First of all, he has cable internet
which is completly foreign to me. His modem hooks to his computer
through a usb port. His router is a linksys which only has ethernet plug
connections. How do you hook the router up to the computer if the
computer has nowhere to plug an ethernet plug into? I can hook the modem
and the router together, but have no idea how to hook the computer up.
Hope this makes sense.

Dewi Dragon
12 answers Last reply
More about router problem
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 02:19:53 GMT, Robyn <pcwest@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

    >First of all, I am a "lurker". I have subscribed to this newsgroup for
    >years and enjoy reading all the posts but rarely post myself. I'm hoping
    >someone can help me with a router problem. I have three computers all
    >hooked up wirelessly to a router in my house. I tried to hook a friends
    >router up tonight and got nowhere. First of all, he has cable internet
    >which is completly foreign to me. His modem hooks to his computer
    >through a usb port. His router is a linksys which only has ethernet plug
    >connections. How do you hook the router up to the computer if the
    >computer has nowhere to plug an ethernet plug into? I can hook the modem
    >and the router together, but have no idea how to hook the computer up.
    >Hope this makes sense.

    As you've already guessed, what you have described won't work. If the
    cable modem goes to his USB port, there's no way to go to the router and
    then to his PC with it.

    He can use both the Ethernet router and the USB cable modem if he buys a
    network card (NIC) for his computer. Leave the cable modem connected as
    it is. Connect the installed NIC to the router with a straight-through
    cable, then connect the router to whatever other computers he has.

    If you mean that he's trying to use a wireless router like the Linksys
    WRT54G with his USB cable modem, the situation is about the same. He will
    need to install a NIC into his computer, then hook the wireless router to
    it. If he's just trying to wirelessly connect to your router, it would be
    simpler to just by a wireless card for his computer.

    You'll need to go into more detail though because I'm not sure what
    hardware you're working with or what your goals are here.

    Also, check the cable modem and see if it doesn't also have an Ethernet
    port. Many of the ones sold these days can be connected to the computer
    with either an Ethernet cable or a USB cable. If that's the case, then if
    he installs a NIC, he can hook the cable modem to the wireless router to
    the computer just like the wireless router's manual expects.
    --
    The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Polychromic wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 02:19:53 GMT, Robyn <pcwest@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
    >

    >>First of all, I am a "lurker". I have subscribed to this newsgroup for
    >>years and enjoy reading all the posts but rarely post myself. I'm hoping
    >>someone can help me with a router problem. I have three computers all
    >>hooked up wirelessly to a router in my house. I tried to hook a friends
    >>router up tonight and got nowhere. First of all, he has cable internet
    >>which is completly foreign to me. His modem hooks to his computer
    >>through a usb port. His router is a linksys which only has ethernet plug
    >>connections. How do you hook the router up to the computer if the
    >>computer has nowhere to plug an ethernet plug into? I can hook the modem
    >>and the router together, but have no idea how to hook the computer up.
    >>Hope this makes sense.
    >

    > As you've already guessed, what you have described won't work. If the
    > cable modem goes to his USB port, there's no way to go to the router and
    > then to his PC with it.
    >
    > He can use both the Ethernet router and the USB cable modem if he buys a
    > network card (NIC) for his computer. Leave the cable modem connected as
    > it is. Connect the installed NIC to the router with a straight-through
    > cable, then connect the router to whatever other computers he has.
    >
    > If you mean that he's trying to use a wireless router like the Linksys
    > WRT54G with his USB cable modem, the situation is about the same. He will
    > need to install a NIC into his computer, then hook the wireless router to
    > it. If he's just trying to wirelessly connect to your router, it would be
    > simpler to just by a wireless card for his computer.
    >
    > You'll need to go into more detail though because I'm not sure what
    > hardware you're working with or what your goals are here.
    >
    > Also, check the cable modem and see if it doesn't also have an Ethernet
    > port. Many of the ones sold these days can be connected to the computer
    > with either an Ethernet cable or a USB cable. If that's the case, then if
    > he installs a NIC, he can hook the cable modem to the wireless router to
    > the computer just like the wireless router's manual expects.

    Thanks for the reply. He does have the Linksys WRT54G. I'll let him know
    he needs a NIC>

    Thanks,
    DEWI
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:00:27 +0200, Robyn <pcwest@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

    > Polychromic wrote:
    >> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 02:19:53 GMT, Robyn <pcwest@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
    >>
    >>> First of all, I am a "lurker". I have subscribed to this newsgroup for
    >>> years and enjoy reading all the posts but rarely post myself. ..>
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. He does have the Linksys WRT54G. I'll let him know
    > he needs a NIC>

    And you are of course welcome to be more active here if you feel like it.

    --
    pibbur, who decided not to SPLUT (mainly because he's not sure of what it
    is)

    Eek! Robyn wrote:
    <snip>
    > Thanks for the reply. He does have the Linksys WRT54G. I'll let him know
    > he needs a NIC>
    >
    > Thanks,
    > DEWI

    And as Pibbur has suggested, you deserve at least this... *SPLUT* :-D

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:
    > And as Pibbur has suggested, you deserve at least this... *SPLUT*
    > :-D

    Nah, Dewi's been around ages, I'm sure. *checks* Yup, five years. No
    need for a greet-splut. :)

    \^\^//
    ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
    | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
    \ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
    \ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a30
    ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! Samurai wrote:
    > Quoth Ashikaga:
    >> And as Pibbur has suggested, you deserve at least this... *SPLUT*
    >> :-D
    >
    > Nah, Dewi's been around ages, I'm sure. *checks* Yup, five years. No
    > need for a greet-splut. :)

    But I like spluts....

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On 20 Sep 2005 00:04:14 GMT, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:

    >Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:
    >> And as Pibbur has suggested, you deserve at least this... *SPLUT*
    >> :-D
    >
    >Nah, Dewi's been around ages, I'm sure. *checks* Yup, five years. No
    >need for a greet-splut. :)
    Maybe he meant it as a "been gone too long" SPLUT?
    --
    Optician Dragon
    -=UDIC=-

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:41:03 GMT, Optician Dragon
    <dragonlensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

    >On 20 Sep 2005 00:04:14 GMT, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:
    >
    >>Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:
    >>> And as Pibbur has suggested, you deserve at least this... *SPLUT*
    >>> :-D
    >>
    >>Nah, Dewi's been around ages, I'm sure. *checks* Yup, five years. No
    >>need for a greet-splut. :)
    >Maybe he meant it as a "been gone too long" SPLUT?

    Do we need an excuse for a SPLUT?

    --

    Erimess Dragon
    -==(UDIC)==-

    d++e+NT++Om UK!1!2!3!A!L!
    U+uCuFuG+++uLB+uA+ nC+nH+nP+nS++nT-xa4

    This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
    may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
    are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
    ~William Penn
    In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:
    >> Nah, Dewi's been around ages, I'm sure. *checks* Yup, five
    >> years. No need for a greet-splut. :)
    >
    > But I like spluts....

    Did I say you couldn't provide one? Just get a more specific rubric,
    and you'll be fine. :)

    \^\^//
    ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
    | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
    \ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
    \ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a30
    ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 02:16:05 +0200, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:

    > Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:
    >>> Nah, Dewi's been around ages, I'm sure. *checks* Yup, five
    >>> years. No need for a greet-splut. :)
    >>
    >> But I like spluts....
    >
    > Did I say you couldn't provide one? Just get a more specific rubric,
    > and you'll be fine. :)

    I think today is SplutDay.

    SPLUT!

    --
    pibb - SPLUT - ur
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Eek! pibbur wrote:
    > Samurai wrote:
    >> Quoth Ashikaga:
    >>>
    >>> But I like spluts....
    >>
    >> Did I say you couldn't provide one? Just get a more specific rubric,
    >> and you'll be fine. :)
    >
    > I think today is SplutDay.
    >
    > SPLUT!

    How dare! SPLUT YOU! ;-)

    --
    Ashikaga a27
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons (More info?)

    Samurai wrote:
    > Quoth Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>:
    >
    >>And as Pibbur has suggested, you deserve at least this... *SPLUT*
    >> :-D
    >

    > Nah, Dewi's been around ages, I'm sure. *checks* Yup, five years. No
    > need for a greet-splut. :)

    5 years---hard to believe.

    Dewi

Routers Computers Video Games