In my search for ...

... bands with strange names, I came across "Dead Soul Tribe" today.
(Bought it, and cctually, it's nice music, if you like progressive metal,
which - surprise, surprise - I do).

Where do they get'em from? It's not like in the old days when bands were
called "The Beatles", "The Animals", "The Doodling Mazdas"....

Among other bands I've come across in recent years:

"And you will know us by the trail of dead" (often shortened to "The trail
of dead")
"Tv on the radio"

Just a bit of useless, but thankfully short, information from

--
pibbur

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:22:59 GMT, pibbur
<oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:

>.. bands with strange names, I came across "Dead Soul Tribe" today.
>(Bought it, and cctually, it's nice music, if you like progressive metal,
>which - surprise, surprise - I do).
>
>Where do they get'em from? It's not like in the old days when bands were
>called "The Beatles", "The Animals", "The Doodling Mazdas"....
>
>Among other bands I've come across in recent years:
>
>"And you will know us by the trail of dead" (often shortened to "The trail
>of dead")
>"Tv on the radio"
>
>Just a bit of useless, but thankfully short, information from
Yeah, next thing you know, there will be a band named
Flaucinaucinihilipilification.
Squirrel Nut Zippers.
Cherry Poppin' Daddies.

My band's name was Plague.
I never sang because...well, I thought it would be discourteous to our
audience to kill them. Instead, I thrilled them with my soaring bass
lines and Leland Sklar-like stage presence, stage left. And the
amazing thing was, girls clamored after me in droves. Wanting to get
our drummer's number. The best part was playing a gig at a local
Vocational Rehabilitation party and having the deaf guys pull a table
right up to the PA and , in sign language, exclaim to each other about
the vibrations pounding their chests.
The worst was getting booked, apparently by someone who didn't know
what music we played, into a redneck Veterans Home.
"Uh, no sir, we don't know 'Okie From Muscogee'." And I don't think
they appreciated the fact we cut Careful With That Axe, Eugene out of
our performance just for them. Strangely, they liked The Pusher.
--
Optician Dragon
-=UDIC=-

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:39:11 GMT, Optician Dragon
<dragonlensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

>My band's name was Plague.
>I never sang because...well, I thought it would be discourteous to our
>audience to kill them.

With that name, killing them would have been fitting. Shucks, you missed
your chance for worldwide notoriety and fame!
--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:39:11 +0200, Optician Dragon
<dragonlensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:22:59 GMT, pibbur
> <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:
>
>> .. bands with strange names, I came across "Dead Soul Tribe" today.
>> (Bought it, and cctually, it's nice music, if you like progressive
>> metal,
>> which - surprise, surprise - I do).
>>
>> Where do they get'em from? It's not like in the old days when bands were
>> called "The Beatles", "The Animals", "The Doodling Mazdas"....
>>
>> Among other bands I've come across in recent years:
>>
>> "And you will know us by the trail of dead" (often shortened to "The
>> trail
>> of dead")
>> "Tv on the radio"
>>
>> Just a bit of useless, but thankfully short, information from
> Yeah, next thing you know, there will be a band named
> Flaucinaucinihilipilification.

Heard them, although I'm not partticularly into Disco.

> Squirrel Nut Zippers.
> Cherry Poppin' Daddies.
>
> My band's name was Plague.

If that was today, you would have been a black metal band.

And one of the band members would be called "Yersinia pestis" (the plague
bacteriaa.

> I never sang because...well, I thought it would be discourteous to our
> audience to kill them. Instead, I thrilled them with my soaring bass
> lines and Leland Sklar-like stage presence, stage left. And the
> amazing thing was, girls clamored after me in droves. Wanting to get
> our drummer's number. The best part was playing a gig at a local
> Vocational Rehabilitation party and having the deaf guys pull a table
> right up to the PA and , in sign language, exclaim to each other about
> the vibrations pounding their chests.
> The worst was getting booked, apparently by someone who didn't know
> what music we played, into a redneck Veterans Home.

Soi that's where "The Blues Brothers" got the idea from.

> "Uh, no sir, we don't know 'Okie From Muscogee'." And I don't think
> they appreciated the fact we cut Careful With That Axe, Eugene out of
> our performance just for them. Strangely, they liked The Pusher.

But "Careful with that axe" mostly melodic (UmmaGumma version). Mostly.
--
pibbur

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:08:17 GMT, pibbur
<oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:39:11 +0200, Optician Dragon
><dragonlensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:22:59 GMT, pibbur
>> <oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:
>>
>>> .. bands with strange names, I came across "Dead Soul Tribe" today.
>>> (Bought it, and cctually, it's nice music, if you like progressive
>>> metal,
>>> which - surprise, surprise - I do).
>>>
>>> Where do they get'em from? It's not like in the old days when bands were
>>> called "The Beatles", "The Animals", "The Doodling Mazdas"....
>>>
>>> Among other bands I've come across in recent years:
>>>
>>> "And you will know us by the trail of dead" (often shortened to "The
>>> trail
>>> of dead")
>>> "Tv on the radio"
>>>
>>> Just a bit of useless, but thankfully short, information from
>> Yeah, next thing you know, there will be a band named
>> Flaucinaucinihilipilification.
>
>Heard them, although I'm not partticularly into Disco.

Just don't disregard them as pointless. :)
--
Optician Dragon
-=UDIC=-
"There is no cause so right that one cannot find a fool following it."
Larry Niven

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:22:59 +0200, pibbur
<oopsNO.CAPS000@tele2dragon.nomaill> wrote:

> .. bands with strange names, I came across "Dead Soul Tribe" today.
> (Bought it, and cctually, it's nice music, if you like progressive
> metal, which - surprise, surprise - I do).
>
> Where do they get'em from? It's not like in the old days when bands were
> called "The Beatles", "The Animals", "The Doodling Mazdas"....
>
> Among other bands I've come across in recent years:
>
> "And you will know us by the trail of dead" (often shortened to "The
> trail of dead")
> "Tv on the radio"
>
> Just a bit of useless, but thankfully short, information from

We have of course also "The screaming abdabs". Don't think they ever
released a record under that name, though.

pibbur wrote:

> .. bands with strange names

There's a good Swedish band called "Honey is Cool." (The period is part of
the name). In my collection I've also got "Toad the Wet Sprocket",
"hHead", "my viole[n]t ego" and "Champagne Hedgehog".

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 02:46:41 -0400, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>
wrote:

>In my collection I've also got "Toad the Wet Sprocket"

Yay! I've heard of that band! Hurray for musical naiveté!