Did anyone see this?

I don't recall seeing anyone mention this, I thought it was pretty cool:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/09/19/wow_plague_disease/

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Anti-walkthroughs for Deus Ex, Thief and Ultima http://www.it-he.org

"J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in message

> I don't recall seeing anyone mention this, I thought it was pretty
> cool:
>
> http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/09/19/wow_plague_disease/

Ah, sounds pretty cool. I approve of interesting in-game changes.
People are too attatched to their stuff in online games.

Tee hee, remember when Ultima Online was supposed to have a
functioning economy and ecology where dragons invaded a town if they
ran out of sheep to eat?

-Ophidian

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 00:10:24 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:

>Ah, sounds pretty cool. I approve of interesting in-game changes.
>People are too attatched to their stuff in online games.

If you've spent a lot of time (that you're paying for) building up a
character, having it wiped out by a programming bug warrants some anger, I
think. Try imagining what you'd feel like if a glitch wiped out all your
school records back to kindergarten. People are too attached to their
C.V.

>Tee hee, remember when Ultima Online was supposed to have a
>functioning economy and ecology where dragons invaded a town if they
>ran out of sheep to eat?

The main problem with that was they hadn't fixed the "monster kills you
from across the screen" problem yet, so having hungry monsters zapping
beta testers to death was "dubugged" by removing the ecology altogether.
It was sort of cool for a while though.
--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 00:10:24 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu>
> wrote:
>
>>Ah, sounds pretty cool. I approve of interesting in-game changes.
>>People are too attatched to their stuff in online games.
>
> If you've spent a lot of time (that you're paying for) building up a
> character, having it wiped out by a programming bug warrants some
> anger, I
> think. Try imagining what you'd feel like if a glitch wiped out all
> your
> school records back to kindergarten. People are too attached to
> their
> C.V.

That's a rather silly comparison; losing all school records would have
practical consequences to my real life. It is true that losing your
stuff would prevent you from playing with that character anymore, but
it would not prevent you from building a new character.

Of course you can argue that you "wouldn't go to the trouble of
building a new character if it could be lost," which points to the
huge glaring flaw of the game: Building characters is incredibly
tedious and annoying.

Anyway, attatchment to stuff made the game unplayable for me,
especially the housing covering every square foot of Britannia. It's
been a very long time since I've played, so perhaps they have fixed
that, maybe through a per-player housing tax or something.

<rant>
I'd be most likely to play a game that had little character
development--you choose a character class from amongst 30 or 40, and
start with a character that can already "do fun stuff." Every year
there'd be a gamewide catastrophic event that can potentially destroy
everything anyone has, and "clean the slate" for a new fun year. Make
each year like an exciting roller coaster ride, and no one feels like
they lost anything just because it ended and they have to get back on
again.
</rant>

-Zac

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 04:06:15 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:

>That's a rather silly comparison; losing all school records would have
>practical consequences to my real life.

You think that the time spent playing a game isn't from your real life?
You have a magical bag of unreal time you spend on games?

>It is true that losing your
>stuff would prevent you from playing with that character anymore, but
>it would not prevent you from building a new character.

You could always take your classes over too. You're only out some time.

>Of course you can argue that you "wouldn't go to the trouble of
>building a new character if it could be lost," which points to the
>huge glaring flaw of the game: Building characters is incredibly
>tedious and annoying.

I hated when my students would say that.
--

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:09:49 +0200, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 00:10:24 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:
>
>> Ah, sounds pretty cool. I approve of interesting in-game changes.
>> People are too attatched to their stuff in online games.
>
> If you've spent a lot of time (that you're paying for) building up a
> character, having it wiped out by a programming bug warrants some anger,
> think. Try imagining what you'd feel like if a glitch wiped out all your
> school records back to kindergarten.

Like that isn't supposed to happen?

> People are too attached to their
> C.V.

I AM PIBUR. Should be enough. (typo inserted for identification purpose).

>> Tee hee, remember when Ultima Online was supposed to have a
>> functioning economy and ecology where dragons invaded a town if they
>> ran out of sheep to eat?
>
> The main problem with that was they hadn't fixed the "monster kills you
> from across the screen" problem yet, so having hungry monsters zapping
> beta testers to death was "dubugged" by removing the ecology altogether.
> It was sort of cool for a while though.

--
pibbur

> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 04:06:15 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu>
> wrote:
>
>>That's a rather silly comparison; losing all school records would
>>have
>>practical consequences to my real life.
>
> You think that the time spent playing a game isn't from your real
> life?
> You have a magical bag of unreal time you spend on games?

The time I spent in my schooling is gone either way, and I wasn't
referring to that. The practical consequences would have to do with
losing the evidence of a degree that is helpful for further education
or employment, as well as notes and details usefl for future projects,
etc.

The only cost of losing a UO character is the time it takes to build a
new one. In other words, you will have to do something that is fun
(in theory) for another few weeks or months until you have a similar
character. Boo hoo hoo!

>>huge glaring flaw of the game: Building characters is incredibly
>>tedious and annoying.
>
> I hated when my students would say that.

I guess I just have a wacky belief that 'playing a game' and
'entertainment' should go hand in hand.

-Ophidian

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 20:51:31 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:

>The time I spent in my schooling is gone either way, and I wasn't
>referring to that. The practical consequences would have to do with
>losing the evidence of a degree that is helpful for further education
>or employment, as well as notes and details usefl for future projects,
>etc.
>
>The only cost of losing a UO character is the time it takes to build a
>new one. In other words, you will have to do something that is fun
>(in theory) for another few weeks or months until you have a similar
>character. Boo hoo hoo!

Either way you have lost time. Time is a limited commodity for you
humans. Do you think that time spent on a game is somehow disposable and
that time spent on getting an education is somehow better?
--

> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 20:51:31 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zacwbond@vt.edu> wrote:
>
>>The time I spent in my schooling is gone either way, and I wasn't
>>referring to that. The practical consequences would have to do with
>>losing the evidence of a degree that is helpful for further education
>>or employment, as well as notes and details usefl for future projects,
>>etc.
>>
>>The only cost of losing a UO character is the time it takes to build a
>>new one. In other words, you will have to do something that is fun
>>(in theory) for another few weeks or months until you have a similar
>>character. Boo hoo hoo!
>
> Either way you have lost time. Time is a limited commodity for you
> humans. Do you think that time spent on a game is somehow disposable and
> that time spent on getting an education is somehow better?

Hopefully it takes longer to get your "kindergarten --> now" education, than
it does building an online character.

What I'm saying is, that if your bank somehow loses $40 of your money, you
won't be that upset. If they lose $40,000, you might wanna get your hands on
a nuke or somethin'.

That said, if the bank were to state that the loss of your $40 is a new
feature they've implemented, I guess I'd change bank.

LVD

ons 2005-09-28 klockan 03:40 -0500 skrev Polychromic:

> Either way you have lost time. Time is a limited commodity for you
> humans. Do you think that time spent on a game is somehow disposable and
> that time spent on getting an education is somehow better?

If it was't disposable, the hoomans shouldn't have spent it on games.
Now, when it comes to Dragons - all time is disposable... ;)

'Bon!
/Ibn

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:52:03 GMT, Ibn al-Hazardous
<ibn@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

>ons 2005-09-28 klockan 03:40 -0500 skrev Polychromic:
>
>> Either way you have lost time. Time is a limited commodity for you
>> humans. Do you think that time spent on a game is somehow disposable and
>> that time spent on getting an education is somehow better?
>
>If it was't disposable, the hoomans shouldn't have spent it on games.
>Now, when it comes to Dragons - all time is disposable... ;)
>
>'Bon!
>/Ibn

I prefer quality nondisposable time. None of this cheap knockoff plastic
made-in-Japan stuff.
--

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 07:38:26 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:52:03 GMT, Ibn al-Hazardous
><ibn@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:
>
>>ons 2005-09-28 klockan 03:40 -0500 skrev Polychromic:
>>
>>> Either way you have lost time. Time is a limited commodity for you
>>> humans. Do you think that time spent on a game is somehow disposable and
>>> that time spent on getting an education is somehow better?
>>
>>If it was't disposable, the hoomans shouldn't have spent it on games.
>>Now, when it comes to Dragons - all time is disposable... ;)
>>
>>'Bon!
>>/Ibn
>
>I prefer quality nondisposable time. None of this cheap knockoff plastic
>made-in-Japan stuff.
I beg your pardon, now all your cheap knockoff stuff comes from China.
At least in eyeglass frames. 25 years ago, ANY frame you got from
Japan was a P.O.S. (Piece Of Shi, well you get the idea) no matter how
high-priced it was. I would maybe have good engraving or handwork, but
crummy materials and construction. Now, any frame you get from Japan
is at least made well, and of prime materials, though some fo the
styling is abominable. Anyone want a free sample? A company sent me
one for a free sample thinking I'd see the quality and be rushing to
the phone to order some more. NOT! Based on that sample anyway. It was
just ludicrous.
--
Optician Dragon
-=UDIC=-

Eek! Optician Dragon wrote:
<snip>
> I beg your pardon, now all your cheap knockoff stuff comes from China.
> At least in eyeglass frames. 25 years ago, ANY frame you got from
> Japan was a P.O.S. (Piece Of Shi, well you get the idea) no matter how
> high-priced it was. I would maybe have good engraving or handwork, but
> crummy materials and construction. Now, any frame you get from Japan
> is at least made well, and of prime materials, though some fo the
> styling is abominable. Anyone want a free sample? A company sent me
> one for a free sample thinking I'd see the quality and be rushing to
> the phone to order some more. NOT! Based on that sample anyway. It was
> just ludicrous.

Yes, I want a free sample. Maybe the style is questionable to you, but
actually it may just be just too cutting edge for Americans.

--
Ashikaga a27

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 02:44:03 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Eek! Optician Dragon wrote:
><snip>
>> I beg your pardon, now all your cheap knockoff stuff comes from China.
>> At least in eyeglass frames. 25 years ago, ANY frame you got from
>> Japan was a P.O.S. (Piece Of Shi, well you get the idea) no matter how
>> high-priced it was. I would maybe have good engraving or handwork, but
>> crummy materials and construction. Now, any frame you get from Japan
>> is at least made well, and of prime materials, though some fo the
>> styling is abominable. Anyone want a free sample? A company sent me
>> one for a free sample thinking I'd see the quality and be rushing to
>> the phone to order some more. NOT! Based on that sample anyway. It was
>> just ludicrous.
>
>Yes, I want a free sample. Maybe the style is questionable to you, but
>actually it may just be just too cutting edge for Americans.
Fine, email me your address and I'll send it to you. Actually, the
case design is cool, but the frame......
--

Eek! Optician Dragon wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
<snip>
>>Yes, I want a free sample. Maybe the style is questionable to you, but
>>actually it may just be just too cutting edge for Americans.
> Fine, email me your address and I'll send it to you. Actually, the
> case design is cool, but the frame......

LOL! Okay, do they come in its vanity glasses. I don't need any visual
correction (I think...).

--
Ashikaga a27