cojer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
Ok here is the story from the beginning.

For some time I have gotten blue screen errors while playing quake1. The blue screen would flash and the system would reboot itself. This did not happen enough for me to think there was a problem. Recently however, the frequency of these errors has become ridiculous. Often times I will be playing for 5 minutes and I'll get a blue screen, now though, the system does not reboot so I have written down a few of the errors:
1)
*** STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005,0xBC4DDAA5,0x00000000,0x0000E424)
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

*** Address BC4DDAA5 base at BC4D0000, Datestamp 3cdb3dab - kmixer.sys

Begin Physical Memory Dump..
End Physical Memory Dump.. concact sys admin.

2)
*** STOP: 0x000000A(0x000000FF,0x000000FF,0x00000000, 0x80067B39)
IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** Address 80067B39 base at 80062000, Datestamp 3c989e09 - hall.dll

Begin Physical Memory Dump..
End Physical Memory Dump.. concact sys admin.

other errors of this type I have encountered include ntoskrnl.exe.

Also, I have been having problems with a hard drive which has caused me to reboot and chkdsk several times for long periods (goes really slow on broken drive). I just finished formatting the drive in maxtor utility and now when I boot into win, I get a stop error of the type above right before win splash screen. the error is of the KMODE_EXCEPTION.. type with file name ntoskrnl.exe.

The message tells me if this is the 1st time I'm seeing this I should just reboot, so every time I just reboot and I see it no more untill next reboot.

I have run MemTest to over 12,000% coverage and it has reported no errors. I will run MemTest86x tonight.

CPU temp after blue screen reboot is never over 54°, system temp never over 28°.

Other times while playing quake1, the system will just reboot itself with no error messages. Also, the game's excecutable file often closes, forcing me back to windows, where I see an .exe error, prpgram closed message box.

I can check to see what memory addresses are assigned to what device in system information if you think that might help locate the problem.

Thanks.

Athlon 2100+ @ 1733mhz
EPoX 8k5a2+
512mb Samsung pc2700 non ECC
Windows 2000 PRO SP3

cojer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
ok I ran windows update and got SP4 installed as suposedly it can fix some memory errors. I also updated my bios. I started to play q1 again, 5 min in, get a new stop error
0x00000075 (0x0000000D... ) unexpected_kernel_mode_trap

looking at ms support website I come across

You may receive the following error message while running Windows:

STOP 0x0000007F (UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP)

To determine an approximate cause, examine the parameters at the top of the STOP screen:
**STOP 0x0000007F (0x000000XX, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

none of the codes given for the XX in the 2nd address match, nor does my stop code have an F hex value, but I have to think this is a very similar problem

"The above STOP error means a trap occurred in kernel mode and the trap is either one the kernel is not allowed to have or is always fatal. The most common causes of a STOP 0x7F are:

Low-level hardware corruption, such as corrupt memory (RAM)
Mismatched memory modules
A malfunctioning motherboard"

therefore, I will run memtest over night to check that again.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could still be a memory error, but it might be caused by a voltage issue or heat issue, either of which would only occur when other parts of the system (such as the CPU or video card) were under a lot of stress (drawing down the power on the supply, or heating up the RAM via convection).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
I have in the past seen those type of errors in 1 case it was bad ram but the other time it was a heat problem.

He could do a BIOS check and back his ram down or set it to SPD and see if his OS clears up. If it is in SPD then he very well could have a heat problem failing both of those he has a probable virus......

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
2x512 Crucial DDR 400 PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Two Maxtor 40Gig 8MB cach 7200rpm
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, but RAM problems can often be caused by heat OR voltage. Many users have fixed their RAM problems by increasing vDIMM, so a power supply that sags under full load could also cause it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cojer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I have an enermax whisper 350w PS powering (3) 7200 RPM Maxtor HDs, plextor cd-rw (all 4 drives on seperate IDE cables), floppy, 1 DIMM, geforce 2 mx 32mb, very fast coolermaster cpu fan, (1) intake, (2) exhaust fans, sound/lan onboard my epox 8k5a2+.

I suppose it could be a heat issue, but I have a desktop fan blowing into open case and it still happens. CPU temp usualy about 54°, system around 28° right after reboot WITHOUT this fan.

RAM clock/timing/case are all default.
so you suggest increasing vDIMM, set ram to SPD, and back my ram down(what do you mean by this.. decrease clock? or set to cl3? (currently cl2.5))

I ran memtest86 for about 14 hours with no errors as well.

cojer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I did not find any viruses on my PC, scanning with AVG Anti Virus.

I set dram clock and dram timing to SPD and got a stop error (SPD is default).

I set dram clock to 133mhz, making ram pc2100, and got a stop error.

I left dram clock at 133 and upped voltage from 2.5v to 2.70v and got a stop error.

I was then back in windows running both spybot search and destroy, and ad aware at the same time,
and I got a stop error due to ntoskrnl.exe. This is the 1st time I have gotten a stop error in windows while not playing quake.
after reboot sys temp was 28°, cpu 51°

Do you think a win 2k reinstall might help or is this purely hardware related?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Do you have any system monitoring software that can keep track of voltage and heat? You could download Motherboard Monitor 5.

cojer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I have been getting errors when nothing is under load.. like while trying to repair my 2k installation after booting to the CD

cojer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I lowered cpu speed to 1300mhz, lowered dram to pc1600, raised dimm voltage to 2.70v, and everything is working fine. does this mean my power supply is shitting out under any sort of load or is it a problem with other hardware such as the ram itself? What can I do short of replacing PS and ram to find the problem?

peterjedi

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - I got this error alot, by just surfing the web. I RMA'ed my motherboard. Gigabyte reproduced my problem and they're sending me a new motherboard.