Drive Speed

I have a hardware question:

If I have were to connect to drives to the primary cable, with the primary
master being a faster IDE hard drive and the primary slave being a CD or
slower IDE hard drive, would the faster hard drive's data transfer speed
default to the speed of the slower drive or not?

Genrally speaking, no, the speed between two hard drives on one IDE cable
should not make a noticeable difference, I happen to have two HD's on all my
PC's. The larger drives I use for movie editing whereas data transfer from DV
camcorders goes to the secondary drive very quickly.

"Rissa Ann" wrote:

> I have a hardware question:
>
> If I have were to connect to drives to the primary cable, with the primary
> master being a faster IDE hard drive and the primary slave being a CD or
> slower IDE hard drive, would the faster hard drive's data transfer speed
> default to the speed of the slower drive or not?

Actually that depends on the age of your system.I believe anything older
than 3 or 4 years and it would go at a slower speed but not necesarily as
slow as the 2nd drive.
Anything newer would not really be affected.
peterk

the problem
"Rissa Ann" <RissaAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a hardware question:
>
> If I have were to connect to drives to the primary cable, with the primary
> master being a faster IDE hard drive and the primary slave being a CD or
> slower IDE hard drive, would the faster hard drive's data transfer speed
> default to the speed of the slower drive or not?

On a new computer a faster drive does not automatically "drop down" to the
speed of a slower drive connected to the same IDE channel.

Conversely, the transfer speed from a fast hard drive to a slow hard drive,
whether on the same IDE channel or not, can never be faster than the speed
at which the slow drive is capable of writing the files (common sense and
laws of physics).

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Rissa Ann" <RissaAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a hardware question:
>
> If I have were to connect to drives to the primary cable, with the primary
> master being a faster IDE hard drive and the primary slave being a CD or
> slower IDE hard drive, would the faster hard drive's data transfer speed
> default to the speed of the slower drive or not?

Thanks to everyone for all the great info!

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> On a new computer a faster drive does not automatically "drop down" to the
> speed of a slower drive connected to the same IDE channel.
>
> Conversely, the transfer speed from a fast hard drive to a slow hard drive,
> whether on the same IDE channel or not, can never be faster than the speed
> at which the slow drive is capable of writing the files (common sense and
> laws of physics).
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban

> "Rissa Ann" <RissaAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a hardware question:
> >
> > If I have were to connect to drives to the primary cable, with the primary
> > master being a faster IDE hard drive and the primary slave being a CD or
> > slower IDE hard drive, would the faster hard drive's data transfer speed
> > default to the speed of the slower drive or not?

"Rissa Ann" <RissaAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a hardware question:
>
> If I have were to connect to drives to the primary cable, with the primary
> master being a faster IDE hard drive and the primary slave being a CD or
> slower IDE hard drive, would the faster hard drive's data transfer speed
> default to the speed of the slower drive or not?

It depends.

It depends on the modes the drives operate in. Older drives may affect the
speed a newer one can work at. If in doubt put them on a different channel
and benchmark for comparison.

IDE controllers are inexpensive, you could easily add a new controller for
the disk.