Sign in with
Your question

Windows freezes

Last response: in Windows 7
August 11, 2012 9:40:08 AM

Hello guys.
I've been fighting with this problem for a while now and I really don't know how to move forward, hope someone can help.

System:
Gigabyte H67M-D2
i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz
8 Gigs of ram
GTX 460
Corsair TX750w
WD Green Power

So as the title says, my computer freezes. When it happens windows will freeze and the sound will start looping. At this point the only thing to do is shut the computer off.
However, when I turn the computer back on there will be no image on the display, even if I disabled the power completely from the PC before starting it up again.
I need to let it boot into windows (Windows loads up correctly it seems, as indicated by normal sounds), then restart the computer again, and only then the picture returns.

The freeze seems to happen at random, sometimes when in a game, sometimes when browsing. Sometimes not for days, sometimes several times in a row.
I used to get "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" errors before the crash happend, then I did reformat, and the messages disappeared, but the freeze kept happening.

Now I tried various stress testing programs; prime95, FurMark, something for the harddisk, etc. but nothing really seems to set it off. It might happen during a test, but doesn't seem like the test is actually causing it.

But since I did a reformat I'm still assuming it's a hardware problem?

Anyone got any idea? :) 

More about : windows freezes

August 12, 2012 7:51:39 AM

Just booted the computer this morning, and it booted up with a black screen. Had to reboot several times for the image to come back (again, letting it load into windows, then rebooting)

If it's a hardware error, is there any way for me to make sure what is broken? I'd hate to buy a new graphics card just to find out the mobo is toast, or whatever :??: 

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Windows is producing no dump files on these crashes
December 17, 2012 11:50:04 AM

I'm still having this problem, can anyone please help? :( 

I have a little update: Sometimes when I crash, the computer starts up with a black screen, and never loads windows, just the fans running. I can turn off the power completely, and keep rebooting, but it might take 10 tries, or just not boot at all that night.
Then I found that removing the RAM, and putting them back in will make it boot up, every time.

So I figured it might be a RAM issue, but I have since tested both blocks individually, as well as the sockets with memtest and it came out clean. The PC also crashes running with only one block of RAM.

Anyone!?
a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2012 12:26:50 PM

spiza007 said:
I'm still having this problem, can anyone please help? :( 

I have a little update: Sometimes when I crash, the computer starts up with a black screen, and never loads windows, just the fans running. I can turn off the power completely, and keep rebooting, but it might take 10 tries, or just not boot at all that night.
Then I found that removing the RAM, and putting them back in will make it boot up, every time.

So I figured it might be a RAM issue, but I have since tested both blocks individually, as well as the sockets with memtest and it came out clean. The PC also crashes running with only one block of RAM.

Anyone!?

What is your configuration of your memory? 2x4Gb sticks? You've done part of the hard work already by indicating that you removed some of the RAM and then swapped them and then tried the other set. Try both modules of memory in the 1st slot on the motherboard. If you get the same results, with it locking up and not booting up, it is likely that the memory slot on the mobo is bad.

Has it been doing this since you installed it? Is this a home-built PC? If you've not had it very long I would recommend contacting either Gigabyte or the company you purchased it from (Newegg, TigerDirect, ZipZoomFly) and see about getting a RMA for a new one.

Let me know if this helps. :D 
!