I want a non-overheating laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

prototype00

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a new laptop this christmas, so I just hope you'll help me.

My last laptop was a Toshiba A-40 (P4, 3GHz, 512 MB RAM, 64MB integrated video card, 60GB HD), and I didn't treat it with too much care, you know, I left it on soft surfaces (sofa, bed), lots of hours without shutting it down, always plugged to electricity, and gaming with settings over its possibilities.

Therefore, I've got the results of the past, and my laptop is always overheating... if I play a Flash video during 1 minute or so, fans start working madly making lot of noise, and then, it automatically shutdowns. And if I start any game (even Counter Strike 1.6 with low settings) the same happen.

So now, I want to avoid this happen to my new laptop, so I would appreciate that you keep this in mind.

I've thinking of: Intel Core 2 Duo TXXX (2.0 GHz or over), 800 MHz bus, 2-4 GB RAM, 15,4" or 14,1" at 1280x800, 150 GB HD, and I would use a dual boot Vista - Ubuntu. I want to spend around 1.000 € on it (1.000 $ approximately (I'm spanish, suppose you've notice it for this childish english)). I'm considering Dell - Asus - HP laptops.

My main doubt is graphic card. I want to play occasionally (maybe two hours of Counter Strike 1.6 per week), work with Photoshop, visit webs, play audio and video, and do university stuff (I'm studying computering). I've been thinking of nVidia 8400 or 8600 (I prefer nVidia, not ATI), but I'm not sure if a dedicated GPU will fry my notebook. However, an integrated GPU may not be enough for my expectations.

What do you think I should do?

Prototype00

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Counter Strike is not a very demanding game on today's hardware, so you should be fine playing it with the 8600. Any laptop might get a bit hot on the bottom, but it should not overheat and shut down, assuming you take at least some care of it. For example, use compressed air to blow out the fans and vents once in a while.

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Check out the HP Pavillion 9660. It has a 17" LCD, 8600m GS, 2 Gigs RAM, 160 Gigs Sata 5400rpm HDD and a T7250. It costs around 1050 euro and it has a 8 cell battery. It does not overheat!
There is a HP model with the same characteristics but with a 15" LCD for almost 800 euro. I think it is best buy for your demands.

Felices Fiestas!

sagooding

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
DONT BUY ANY HP LAPTOPS. My sister and i have owned many of different models and all of them have experience severe heating issues. HP designs of cooling are dreadfully flawed. DO NOT BUY HP LAPTOPS or ull face the same thing i did.

Status
Not open for further replies.