Optimus Pro LX8 / SPL

Last response: in Home Audio
September 15, 2005 7:21:01 AM

Hello, I know that this is a long shot, but it seems there are a
lot of knowlegable people here so I thought I would try. I have a pair
of LX8's and I want to replace the driver in them. My problem is that
I don't want the new drivers volume level to overpower the linaum
tweeters. I Have done some research and found that when replacing
drivers you need to stay within +/- 3db of sound pressure level or
(spl). I have every other spec for this speaker but this one, anyone
that can help in this regard I would be extreamly gratefull! Also to I
can find no listing for the Optimus company anywhere, tried to cross
refrence Tandy, and Texas Insturments. Did however find the model
number of the actull speaker to be replaced #SP90007. If anyone has
any info that might be helpfull, even remotely Please advise!

LEVI

More about : optimus pro lx8 spl

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 5:33:45 AM

Optimus is a store brand for products sold in radio shack stores. If you
go to their web pages and do a search for that driver model number the
spec you want might be listed. What is your motivation for wanting a
change? I have seen over the years a number of redo's of the crossover
which is said to make improvements. Do a google search for that speaker
model and I'm sure you will find examples.

> Hello, I know that this is a long shot, but it seems there are a
>lot of knowlegable people here so I thought I would try. I have a pair
>of LX8's and I want to replace the driver in them. My problem is that
>I don't want the new drivers volume level to overpower the linaum
>tweeters. I Have done some research and found that when replacing
>drivers you need to stay within +/- 3db of sound pressure level or
>(spl). I have every other spec for this speaker but this one, anyone
>that can help in this regard I would be extreamly gratefull! Also to I
>can find no listing for the Optimus company anywhere, tried to cross
>refrence Tandy, and Texas Insturments. Did however find the model
>number of the actull speaker to be replaced #SP90007. If anyone has
>any info that might be helpfull, even remotely Please advise!
>

>LEVI
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 12:37:23 AM

Thank you for your response, I have actully exhausted all of the radio
shack information and they have no listing for the spl. The reason I
choose to change the drivers is that they are just not up to todays
standards, and create a muddy sound across the front of my theater.
This will be a three fold aproach, as I will update the crossover and
improve the cabinet at the same time. Hopefully this will be enough to
bring them up to the quality sound that I get from some of the later
class speakers that use the same tweeter.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 12:40:04 AM

My biggest reason that I want to change them is that they have a muddy
sound that dosen't stand up well with my center channel that uses
kevlar drivers (lineaum tweeter in that box to). I have carefully
looked inside and the woofer seems to be of quite inferior quality
especially by todays standards. I have actully looked through all of
the Radio Shack info available and have still not located the spl
rating I'm needing. Also to I am very aware of the cabinate fixes and
all the relevent crossover fixes as well. I appreaciate all your help
however, and if you can think of something I haven't please advise. Oh
and also too I have a request in with Peerless who actully made the
speaker under licence for the LX8's.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 6:33:19 AM

I have both the Pro-LX8 and the LX-5 models and use them for TV viewing
and the like. While they are most certainly not highend speakers, they
both have a decent bass output and qualtiy - given the size of their
respective bass/midrange drivers. If you're hearing a "muddied" sound
from the LX8 , then I would FIRST suspect a problem with the Linaeum
designed tweeter. In other words, it sounds to me like either you have
your speakers pushed into a corner (which would greatly exagerate the
bass output and tilt the whole sound towards "boomy" OR the tweeters
are bad OR both.

Again these are hardly auiophile speakers - but the LX8's do not sound
"muddy" when I insert them into my higher end system.

Pete
!