Docs ToGo Cookie

August 16, 2004 4:45:52 PM

Every time I sync my Palm with my desktop, Docs ToGo places a cookie on
my computer.
I hate cookies!
Anyone know how to stop this?

More about : docs togo cookie

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 7:06:38 PM

Jack wrote:
> Every time I sync my Palm with my desktop, Docs ToGo places a cookie on
> my computer.
> I hate cookies!
> Anyone know how to stop this?
I am using CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com). It will remove that particular
cookie.
August 16, 2004 9:32:47 PM

I delete it, but it comes back on the next sync!

In article <kl2Uc.1247$g%5.15645@news2.e.nsc.no>, postmaster@127.0.0.1
says...
> Jack wrote:
> > Every time I sync my Palm with my desktop, Docs ToGo places a cookie on
> > my computer.
> > I hate cookies!
> > Anyone know how to stop this?
> I am using CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com). It will remove that particular
> cookie.

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 9:32:48 PM

"Jack" <khuhho@aaa.com> wrote in message
> I delete it, but it comes back on the next sync!
>
> In article <kl2Uc.1247$g%5.15645@news2.e.nsc.no>, postmaster@127.0.0.1
> says...
> > Jack wrote:
> > > Every time I sync my Palm with my desktop, Docs ToGo places a cookie
on
> > > my computer.
> > > I hate cookies!
> > > Anyone know how to stop this?
> > I am using CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com). It will remove that particular
> > cookie.

You could adjust your browser settings to reject cookies, but that gets in
the way of a lot of browsing activities. If you use a firewall (like Zone
Alarm), many of them block cookies -- or certain ones.
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 2:31:53 AM

Jack wrote:

> Every time I sync my Palm with my desktop, Docs ToGo places a cookie on
> my computer.
> I hate cookies!
> Anyone know how to stop this?

Use Quickoffice instead ?

--
+---+
| n | www.n-gate.net
+---+
August 17, 2004 3:27:10 AM

I use Zone Alarm but the cookie is still placed on my desktop. (I have
it set to reject cookies)

In article <cfr95a$8e4$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, angus@n0sp4m.n-
gate.n0sp4m.net.n0sp4m says...
> Jack wrote:
>
> > Every time I sync my Palm with my desktop, Docs ToGo places a cookie on
> > my computer.
> > I hate cookies!
> > Anyone know how to stop this?
>
> Use Quickoffice instead ?

Anonymous
August 17, 2004 7:03:47 AM

In article <MPG.1b8b0cdeb21fba0c989682@Netnews.Comcast.net>, Jack
<khuhho@aaa.com> wrote:

> In article <cfr95a$8e4$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, angus@n0sp4m.n-
> gate.n0sp4m.net.n0sp4m says...
> > Jack wrote:
> >
> > > Every time I sync my Palm with my desktop, Docs ToGo places a cookie on
> > > my computer.
> > > I hate cookies!
> > > Anyone know how to stop this?

What's the problem? What does the cookie do? Does it keep information on
the last sync with DocsToGo, in which case, isn't that a good thing?
August 17, 2004 1:47:10 PM

It could be keeping all my Palm information and sending it to Docs ToGo!
Has no use as far being needed to keep track of the last sync. I delete
it each time which is a pain.

In article <guy-1608042007070001@192.168.1.103>, guy@ether.net says...
> In article <MPG.1b8b0cdeb21fba0c989682@Netnews.Comcast.net>, Jack
> <khuhho@aaa.com> wrote:
>

> > In article <cfr95a$8e4$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, angus@n0sp4m.n-
> > gate.n0sp4m.net.n0sp4m says...

> What's the problem? What does the cookie do? Does it keep information on
> the last sync with DocsToGo, in which case, isn't that a good thing?

Anonymous
August 17, 2004 1:47:11 PM

Jack <khuhho@aaa.com> wrote:
> It could be keeping all my Palm information and sending it to Docs
> ToGo! Has no use as far being needed to keep track of the last sync.
> I delete it each time which is a pain.

Actually, the DocumentsToGo program itself could be sending all your
information to Palm much easier *without* using a cookie, if it so chose.
A cookie would be a highly inefficient method of doing so.

While a certain amount of paranoia is healthy, this time it's completely
misplaced.
Instead, open DocumentsToGo on the PC, choose Tools -> Preferences, and go
to the Communications tab. Uncheck "Enable automatic communications", and
DTG won't "call home".

Oh, and stop top-posting too.

--
*Art
Anonymous

guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote in

> In article <MPG.1b8b0cdeb21fba0c989682@Netnews.Comcast.net>, Jack
> <khuhho@aaa.com> wrote:
>

>> In article <cfr95a$8e4$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, angus@n0sp4m.n-
>> gate.n0sp4m.net.n0sp4m says...

> What's the problem? What does the cookie do? Does it keep information
> on the last sync with DocsToGo, in which case, isn't that a good
> thing?

Cookies are readable by DataWiz' web server.

It probably allows DataWiz to know who you are when you browse their size.
The cookie might contain your hotsync name or product registration ID or
something.

Stine
August 17, 2004 9:49:57 PM

In article <cfsvoq$2t0$1@cauldron.broomstick.com>, art@broomstick.com
says...
> Jack <khuhho@aaa.com> wrote:
> > It could be keeping all my Palm information and sending it to Docs
> > ToGo! Has no use as far being needed to keep track of the last sync.
> > I delete it each time which is a pain.
>
> Actually, the DocumentsToGo program itself could be sending all your
> information to Palm much easier *without* using a cookie, if it so chose.
> A cookie would be a highly inefficient method of doing so.
>
> While a certain amount of paranoia is healthy, this time it's completely
> misplaced.
> Instead, open DocumentsToGo on the PC, choose Tools -> Preferences, and go
> to the Communications tab. Uncheck "Enable automatic communications", and
> DTG won't "call home".
>
> Oh, and stop top-posting too.

Been there - done that.
Didn't know I should not top-post. Sorry.
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 9:49:58 PM

> In article <cfsvoq$2t0$1@cauldron.broomstick.com>, art@broomstick.com
> says...
> > Jack <khuhho@aaa.com> wrote:
> > > It could be keeping all my Palm information and sending it to Docs
> > > ToGo! Has no use as far being needed to keep track of the last sync.
> > > I delete it each time which is a pain.
> >
> > Actually, the DocumentsToGo program itself could be sending all your
> > information to Palm much easier *without* using a cookie, if it so
chose.
> > A cookie would be a highly inefficient method of doing so.
> >
> > While a certain amount of paranoia is healthy, this time it's completely
> > misplaced.
> > Instead, open DocumentsToGo on the PC, choose Tools -> Preferences, and
go
> > to the Communications tab. Uncheck "Enable automatic communications",
and
> > DTG won't "call home".
> >
> > Oh, and stop top-posting too.
> >

> Been there - done that.
> Didn't know I should not top-post. Sorry.

There's often debates about top-posting. Posting at the bottom is best for
most people, being able to follow the conversation remnants (until they are
trimmed). And sometimes it's useful for a quick answer, on occasion.

You got off easy, some people give top-posters some extreme abuse.
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 1:00:32 PM

In article <s4uUc.41490$865.36941@hydra.nntpserver.com>, Peter Franks
<URL:mailto:yougotta@kidding.net> wrote:

> There's often debates about top-posting. Posting at the bottom is best for
> most people, being able to follow the conversation remnants (until they are
> trimmed). And sometimes it's useful for a quick answer, on occasion.
>
> You got off easy, some people give top-posters some extreme abuse.

Perhaps this should become part of a FAQ file?

August 23, 2004 2:04:38 AM

I always top-post. I find that it is easier for people to read replies
instead of having to scroll through a bunch of text that they might have
already read earlier.

I also hate scrolling through a bunch of text that I've already read just to
read a 1 word or 1 sentence answer.

"Jack" <khuhho@aaa.com> wrote in message
> In article <cfsvoq$2t0$1@cauldron.broomstick.com>, art@broomstick.com
> says...
> > Jack <khuhho@aaa.com> wrote:
> > > It could be keeping all my Palm information and sending it to Docs
> > > ToGo! Has no use as far being needed to keep track of the last sync.
> > > I delete it each time which is a pain.
> >
> > Actually, the DocumentsToGo program itself could be sending all your
> > information to Palm much easier *without* using a cookie, if it so
chose.
> > A cookie would be a highly inefficient method of doing so.
> >
> > While a certain amount of paranoia is healthy, this time it's completely
> > misplaced.
> > Instead, open DocumentsToGo on the PC, choose Tools -> Preferences, and
go
> > to the Communications tab. Uncheck "Enable automatic communications",
and
> > DTG won't "call home".
> >
> > Oh, and stop top-posting too.
> >

> Been there - done that.
> Didn't know I should not top-post. Sorry.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 7:58:38 AM

"Harry Eugene Ly"
<consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote in

> I always top-post. I find that it is easier for people to
> read replies instead of having to scroll through a bunch of
> text that they might have already read earlier.
>
> I also hate scrolling through a bunch of text that I've
> already read just to read a 1 word or 1 sentence answer.

With a proper newsreader, you don't have to. One click takes
you past all the quotes to the current post. Quoting a few
hundred lines of prior posts just to add one word or one
sentence is even poorer manners than top-posting, but I don't
like either.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 10:08:26 AM

"Stan Gosnell" <me@work> wrote in message
> "Harry Eugene Ly"
> <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote in
>
> > I always top-post. I find that it is easier for people to
> > read replies instead of having to scroll through a bunch of
> > text that they might have already read earlier.
> >
> > I also hate scrolling through a bunch of text that I've
> > already read just to read a 1 word or 1 sentence answer.
>
> With a proper newsreader, you don't have to. One click takes
> you past all the quotes to the current post. Quoting a few
> hundred lines of prior posts just to add one word or one
> sentence is even poorer manners than top-posting, but I don't
> like either.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Stan

For a brief response on a lengthy article (especially if it's primarily for
the previous poster's benefit), I often edit out the rest.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 12:11:36 PM

Well I guess that you have to excuse my bad manners or plonk me since I will
continue to top post because that is the way I'm used to doing it. E-Mail is
also "top-posted" and if people started to posting their replies at the end
of an e-mail message, there would be complaints about that also.

"Stan Gosnell" <me@work> wrote in message
> "Harry Eugene Ly"
> <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote in
>
> > I always top-post. I find that it is easier for people to
> > read replies instead of having to scroll through a bunch of
> > text that they might have already read earlier.
> >
> > I also hate scrolling through a bunch of text that I've
> > already read just to read a 1 word or 1 sentence answer.
>
> With a proper newsreader, you don't have to. One click takes
> you past all the quotes to the current post. Quoting a few
> hundred lines of prior posts just to add one word or one
> sentence is even poorer manners than top-posting, but I don't
> like either.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Stan
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 1:34:33 PM

Harry Eugene Ly <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote:
> Well I guess that you have to excuse my bad manners or plonk me since
> I will continue to top post because that is the way I'm used to doing
> it.

Ok. *PLONK*

> E-Mail is also "top-posted" and if people started to posting
> their replies at the end of an e-mail message, there would be
> complaints about that also.

E-mail is traditionally *NOT* top-posted, but quoted the same way as I do it
here. Microsoft Outlook putting the cursor at a blank line at the top is
what started the craziness with top posting (and with the first version of
Outlook, there was no easy way to fix this). That was WAY after email was
already in use, but Microsoft still managed to make people (like you)
believe that this is how things were done. Someone answering at the top in
emails tells me loud and clear that they're newbies.

--
*Art
Anonymous

"Arthur Hagen" <art@broomstick.com> wrote in

> Ok. *PLONK*

I'm not that concerned about it, but if I see top-posting, I may
just ignore that post.

>> E-Mail is also "top-posted" and if people started to
>> posting their replies at the end of an e-mail message,
>> there would be complaints about that also.
>
> E-mail is traditionally *NOT* top-posted, but quoted the
> same way as I do it here. Microsoft Outlook putting the
> cursor at a blank line at the top is what started the
> craziness with top posting (and with the first version of
> Outlook, there was no easy way to fix this). That was WAY
> after email was already in use, but Microsoft still managed
> to make people (like you) believe that this is how things
> were done. Someone answering at the top in emails tells me
> loud and clear that they're newbies.

I agree. Top-posting email is even more irritating than doing
it in newsgroups, IMO. You have to read the whole thing
backwards, and if someone in the middle does it correctly, then
everything is wacko. The only people I've ever seen top-post
email are Outlook users, who tend to be rather clueless.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 11:57:24 AM

Generally when you read an e-mail that is top posted, you already received
the items on the bottom (you were either part of the cc or bcc or the reply
to field).

This means that if you bottom post, the person has to go to the bottom of
the message to read your reply (messages that he/she probably was already
privey to).

As to the statement that Microsoft Outlook started this, have you ever used
"PINE" on UNIX. I was using PINE on UNIX when Outlook was not even a product
from Microsoft and Windows was Windows 3.0 and PINE also did the same thing.
I'm not defending Microsoft but Microsoft did not start with top posting of
e-mail messages.

"Stan Gosnell" <me@work.com> wrote in message
> "Arthur Hagen" <art@broomstick.com> wrote in
>
> > Ok. *PLONK*
>
> I'm not that concerned about it, but if I see top-posting, I may
> just ignore that post.
>
> >> E-Mail is also "top-posted" and if people started to
> >> posting their replies at the end of an e-mail message,
> >> there would be complaints about that also.
> >
> > E-mail is traditionally *NOT* top-posted, but quoted the
> > same way as I do it here. Microsoft Outlook putting the
> > cursor at a blank line at the top is what started the
> > craziness with top posting (and with the first version of
> > Outlook, there was no easy way to fix this). That was WAY
> > after email was already in use, but Microsoft still managed
> > to make people (like you) believe that this is how things
> > were done. Someone answering at the top in emails tells me
> > loud and clear that they're newbies.
> >
> I agree. Top-posting email is even more irritating than doing
> it in newsgroups, IMO. You have to read the whole thing
> backwards, and if someone in the middle does it correctly, then
> everything is wacko. The only people I've ever seen top-post
> email are Outlook users, who tend to be rather clueless.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Stan
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:42:22 PM

In article <ZgcWc.31988$F85.841735@wagner.videotron.net>, Harry Eugene Ly
<URL:mailto:consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote:

> I always top-post.

That's why you have just dropped into at least, my killfile.

>I find that it is easier for people to read replies
> instead of having to scroll through a bunch of text that they might have
> already read earlier.

SO TRIM TO CONTEXT THEN. Or is that beyond you?

August 24, 2004 1:42:23 PM

If I have dropped to your kill file, why are you still replying to my posts.

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" <me8@privacy.net> wrote in message
> In article <ZgcWc.31988$F85.841735@wagner.videotron.net>, Harry Eugene Ly
> <URL:mailto:consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote:
>
> > I always top-post.
>
> That's why you have just dropped into at least, my killfile.
>
> >I find that it is easier for people to read replies
> > instead of having to scroll through a bunch of text that they might have
> > already read earlier.
>
> SO TRIM TO CONTEXT THEN. Or is that beyond you?
>
> http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
>

> --
> AJL Electronics (G6FGO) Ltd : Satellite and TV aerial systems
> http://www.classicmicrocars.co.uk : http://www.ajlelectronics.co.uk

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:47:05 PM

In article <Y9lWc.52897$F85.1154225@wagner.videotron.net>, Harry Eugene Ly
<URL:mailto:consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote:

> Well I guess that you have to excuse my bad manners or plonk me since I will
> continue to top post because that is the way I'm used to doing it.

Tell me, do you still fill your trousers, because that's the way you were
used to going to the toilet?

> E-Mail is
> also "top-posted"

Only by the same brain dead users that think it's acceptable in any other
media.

>and if people started to posting their replies at the end
> of an e-mail message, there would be complaints about that also.

Don't be ridiculous. If you really believed the tripe you have written, you
would trim to context, but still post upside down. You simply can't be
bothered and you will find therefore that many won't be bothered responding
to your contributions. All you are doing by being so inconsiderate, is
"shooting yourself in the foot".

** Would you like to learn to post effectively? **
** http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post **
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:47:06 PM

I thought that you had placed me in your killfile. Why are you still

> In article <Y9lWc.52897$F85.1154225@wagner.videotron.net>, Harry Eugene Ly
> <URL:mailto:consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote:
>
> > Well I guess that you have to excuse my bad manners or plonk me since I
will
> > continue to top post because that is the way I'm used to doing it.
>
> Tell me, do you still fill your trousers, because that's the way you were
> used to going to the toilet?
>
> > E-Mail is
> > also "top-posted"
>
> Only by the same brain dead users that think it's acceptable in any other
> media.
>
> >and if people started to posting their replies at the end
> > of an e-mail message, there would be complaints about that also.
>
> Don't be ridiculous. If you really believed the tripe you have written,
you
> would trim to context, but still post upside down. You simply can't be
> bothered and you will find therefore that many won't be bothered
responding
> to your contributions. All you are doing by being so inconsiderate, is
> "shooting yourself in the foot".
>

> --
> AJL Electronics (G6FGO) Ltd : Satellite and TV aerial systems
> http://www.classicmicrocars.co.uk : http://www.ajlelectronics.co.uk
>
> ** Would you like to learn to post effectively? **
> ** http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post **

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:51:40 PM

In article <cgcrpa$h0l$1@cauldron.broomstick.com>, Arthur Hagen
<URL:mailto:art@broomstick.com> wrote:

> Microsoft Outlook putting the cursor at a blank line at the top is
> what started the craziness with top posting (and with the first version of
> Outlook, there was no easy way to fix this).

In my opinion, the cursor it put at the beginning of the quoted text to
allow trimming to context, moving down to add comments as required. This is
also the way it is stipulated in the Mickeysoft FAQ on the subject. If the
cursor was positioned at the end of the text, we may have more postings the
"right" way up, but even fewer would bother to trim. It is this lack of
trimming that increases my GPRS bill and for many is more infuriating than
posting upside down.

** Would you like to learn to post effectively? **
** http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post **
August 24, 2004 7:12:17 PM

Amen, and so do I. I find it extremely irritating to have to scroll
through text that I have already read, only to find some irrelevant
wisecrack. If I need a refresher or more background on the topic, then I
can easily scan down the previous posts. I regard bottom-posting as
inconsiderate, if not arrogant; but I don't flame people who adamantly
insist that *theirs* is the one and only proper way to format a comment.

Harry Eugene Ly wrote:
> I always top-post. I find that it is easier for people to read replies
> instead of having to scroll through a bunch of text that they might have
> already read earlier.
>
> I also hate scrolling through a bunch of text that I've already read just to
> read a 1 word or 1 sentence answer.
>
> "Jack" <khuhho@aaa.com> wrote in message
>
>>In article <cfsvoq$2t0$1@cauldron.broomstick.com>, art@broomstick.com
>>says...
>>
>>>Jack <khuhho@aaa.com> wrote:
>>>--------------------CUT-------------------
>>>
>>>Oh, and stop top-posting too.
>>>

>>Been there - done that.
>>Didn't know I should not top-post. Sorry.

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:14:45 AM

Russell wrote:

> Amen, and so do I. I find it extremely irritating to have to scroll
> through text that I have already read, only to find some irrelevant
> wisecrack. If I need a refresher or more background on the topic, then I
> can easily scan down the previous posts. I regard bottom-posting as
> inconsiderate, if not arrogant; but I don't flame people who adamantly
> insist that *theirs* is the one and only proper way to format a comment.

Consistency is the bottom line. That, and trimming ("snipping").

Notan
August 25, 2004 4:20:33 AM

I am begaining to regret that I even posted a question!
Does anyone care that the main reason for posting is to receive answers
to questions and problems?
Does anyone have an answer or even remember the question?
I never got an answer, but I sure did start a discussion.
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 4:20:34 AM

I believe that someone answered your post and asked you to toggle off some
setting in Documents to Go (about checking website). Since I don't have
Documents to Go (and therefore don't use it), I don't know if the
information that he/she posted is true or not.

> I am begaining to regret that I even posted a question!
> Does anyone care that the main reason for posting is to receive answers
> to questions and problems?
> Does anyone have an answer or even remember the question?
> I never got an answer, but I sure did start a discussion.

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 4:24:17 AM

Jack wrote:

> I am begaining to regret that I even posted a question!
> Does anyone care that the main reason for posting is to receive answers
> to questions and problems?
> Does anyone have an answer or even remember the question?
> I never got an answer, but I sure did start a discussion.

Oh yeah, the question. <g>

Personally, I use Cookie Pal (http://www.kburra.com/cpal.html).
It allows me to accept or reject cookies on a one-shot basis,
or on a repeat-request basis.

Notan
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 6:14:37 AM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:20:33 GMT, Jack had this to say...

> I am begaining to regret that I even posted a question!
> Does anyone care that the main reason for posting is to receive answers
> to questions and problems?
> Does anyone have an answer or even remember the question?
> I never got an answer, but I sure did start a discussion.

I use CookieWall
<http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/cookie...;
Reject a cookie once, and it never lets it write from that site again.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

Jack <khuhho@aaa.com> wrote:
> I am begaining to regret that I even posted a question!
> Does anyone care that the main reason for posting is to receive
> answers to questions and problems?
> Does anyone have an answer or even remember the question?

The answer to your original question is that we can't help you here, and you
need to seek professional help if you want to stop hating cookies.

--
*Art
Anonymous

I prefer top posting also.
--
Piloteers do it on the road
Anonymous

In article <MPG.1b95a55eb62d1816989685@Netnews.Comcast.net>, Jack
<URL:mailto:khuhho@aaa.com> wrote:

> Does anyone care that the main reason for posting is to receive answers
> to questions and problems?

Completely. That's why it is so important to post in a legible and
considerate manner. If it is difficult to glean context, your response rate
will drop. Your call, as they say.

> Does anyone have an answer or even remember the question?
> I never got an answer, but I sure did start a discussion.

Have a look at the FAQ. It WILL improve the rate of relevant replies you
get, *if* you put it into practice.

** Would you like to learn to post effectively? **
** http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post **
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 5:21:35 PM

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:12:17 -0500, Russell wrote:

> Amen, and so do I.

Amen to what? It's kind of hard to tell what you're agreeing to when that
is buried in the middle of your post.

> I find it extremely irritating to have to scroll through text that I
> have already read, only to find some irrelevant wisecrack.

Then blame the person who doesn't snip their posts correctly. Don't try to
convince people that top-posting is the answer.

> I regard bottom-posting as inconsiderate, if not arrogant;

That's about how I feel about people who practice (or defend the practice
of) top-posting. The idea is to give just enough context for your
statements to make sense: not more, and not less.

--
Lenroc
Anonymous

Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer wrote:
> Unfortunately the problem is with your news reader because it should
> automatically hide the bodies of excessively long (more than a page)
> citations, maybe only show the first 4 and the last 2 lines.

That sounds like creating a coping mechanism for the problem rather
than just solving it.

- Logan
!