How access registry keys of my XP backup partition?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Can some please advise me on a query I have got.

As a backup, I clone my whole XP partition to another hard drive.

If I make some changes to registry keys on my main XP system and
things get a little messed up, then I want to restore the original
registry keys.

I could export and import the keys each time but this can be tedious.
I would like to access the good registry keys in backup partition.
HOW DO I DO THIS ACCESS?

The XP backup partition appears in Windows Explorer as a separate
letter. However my backup XP is not actually running, so I guess I
could not use XP's remote registry access to get to it. Is this
correct?

Any help is welcome.
4 answers Last reply
More about access registry keys backup partition
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You can export the registry key or the whole registry to a safe place then
    go where you exported it to and double click it and it will restore.

    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    "Will" <nomail@mail.com> wrote in message
    Can some please advise me on a query I have got.

    As a backup, I clone my whole XP partition to another hard drive.

    If I make some changes to registry keys on my main XP system and
    things get a little messed up, then I want to restore the original
    registry keys.

    I could export and import the keys each time but this can be tedious.
    I would like to access the good registry keys in backup partition.
    HOW DO I DO THIS ACCESS?

    The XP backup partition appears in Windows Explorer as a separate
    letter. However my backup XP is not actually running, so I guess I
    could not use XP's remote registry access to get to it. Is this
    correct?

    Any help is welcome.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    http://www.dougknox.com/ Windows XP Tips, Advanced Registry Editing.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Will wrote:

    > Can some please advise me on a query I have got.
    >
    > As a backup, I clone my whole XP partition to another hard drive.
    >
    > If I make some changes to registry keys on my main XP system and
    > things get a little messed up, then I want to restore the original
    > registry keys.
    >
    > I could export and import the keys each time but this can be tedious.
    > I would like to access the good registry keys in backup partition.
    > HOW DO I DO THIS ACCESS?
    >
    > The XP backup partition appears in Windows Explorer as a separate
    > letter. However my backup XP is not actually running, so I guess I
    > could not use XP's remote registry access to get to it. Is this
    > correct?
    >
    > Any help is welcome.

    Another option is to make regular backups of the registry using ERUNT.
    Backups can be easily restore.

    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    [crossposting removed]

    Regdat - Browse old Registry Files.
    http://people.freenet.de/h.ulbrich

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Will <nomail@mail.com> wrote:

    >Can some please advise me on a query I have got.
    >
    >As a backup, I clone my whole XP partition to another hard drive.
    >
    >If I make some changes to registry keys on my main XP system and
    >things get a little messed up, then I want to restore the original
    >registry keys.
    >
    >I could export and import the keys each time but this can be tedious.
    >I would like to access the good registry keys in backup partition.
    >HOW DO I DO THIS ACCESS?
    >
    >The XP backup partition appears in Windows Explorer as a separate
    >letter. However my backup XP is not actually running, so I guess I
    >could not use XP's remote registry access to get to it. Is this
    >correct?
    >
    >Any help is welcome.

Partition Backup Registry Windows XP