beccabob

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
currently have a dell system with a 40gb IDE 7.2k IBM_ERICSON drive and need more space. cant just go to a bigger drive because my wife will kill me if i lose all her songs and pics. what do i look for so that it works with this one? any hints or recommends will be greatly appreciated!! thanks in advance!!

tjchino

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2003
shouldn't be all that difficult. really most hard drives should work fine with your current setup. all you will need to do is open the case, hook it up on the second connector of your ide cable, change current drive to master (using the jumper on the back of the drive), set the new drive to slave (also using jumper), plug up the power, and away you go. if you have windows xp professional, should be exceptionally easy.

might i recommend this <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-022&depa=1" target="_new"> Seagate 120gb Drive</A>? it should do just fine.

the only way you could get into trouble is if your current rig doesn't support a large drive. but messing with dell's insane support site should give you the information you need.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You don't have to replace the old drive, just add a second drive.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

beccabob

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
i apprecitae your help and the drive looks perfect. one more newbie question if i may. the seagate says its "IDE Ultra ATA100". under device manager the drivers for mine are listed as "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and under advanced it says transfer mode is Ultra DMA mode. This ok?