Direct X question

Hello My friend is having a problem with directx 9c. She bought WOW and
installed it on her laptop, then installed ver 9c so it would play. However
some of the direct 3d stuff was not working. She paid for a program called
Happy uninstall which when registered allowed her to backup to her old
version of Directx on her win XP cd.
We then tried the directx 9 on the game cd again, you click the setup and in
about 2 seconds it pops up saying it is installed. However nothing gets
installed.. it still lists as version 8.
We then connected to the MS website, downloaded the web installer, and the
same thing happened.
We then connected to MS and downloaded a full version of 9c to the desktop
and ran the install from there.
The same thing happens no matter what, you run dxsetup, about 2 secs go by
and it says it is fully installed and ready to run.
Yet when you do dxdiag it clearly shows ver 8 installed, and WoW (World of
Warcraft) will not run with anything but 9c.
Does anyone have a fix for this problem?
3 answers Last reply
More about direct question

    she got her money's worth out of happy uninstall anyways...that is weird, try
    inserting the windows xp cd in the drive, go to start, run. type in cmd, hit
    ok. at the prompt type in cd\ and hit enter. then type in sfc /scannow and
    hit enter. the windows system file checker appears and will repair files. try
    installing 9c after that.

    Good Luck!

    "Rogue" <Rogue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello My friend is having a problem with directx 9c. She bought WOW and
    > installed it on her laptop, then installed ver 9c so it would play.
    > However
    > some of the direct 3d stuff was not working. She paid for a program called
    > Happy uninstall which when registered allowed her to backup to her old
    > version of Directx on her win XP cd.
    > We then tried the directx 9 on the game cd again, you click the setup and
    > in
    > about 2 seconds it pops up saying it is installed. However nothing gets
    > installed.. it still lists as version 8.
    > We then connected to the MS website, downloaded the web installer, and the
    > same thing happened.
    > We then connected to MS and downloaded a full version of 9c to the desktop
    > and ran the install from there.
    > The same thing happens no matter what, you run dxsetup, about 2 secs go by
    > and it says it is fully installed and ready to run.
    > Yet when you do dxdiag it clearly shows ver 8 installed, and WoW (World of
    > Warcraft) will not run with anything but 9c.
    > Does anyone have a fix for this problem?

    I don't know what WOW is but does it support the graphics chip that the
    laptop has? Some use low featured basic chips, and newer games don't support
    those chips- whatever directx is installed.

    Besides upgrading to Direct X 9.0c, you would need to upgrade:

    Video card drivers
    Chipset drivers

    so that most of the Direct X feature can work.

    However, as for most games, you would need to know if the video card is
    compatible/supported by the game itself.

    Also, most game publishers do not support their games installed on Laptops,
    because of the minimum hardware quality that most laptop manufacturer use.
    Also, each laptop (different models) have their own unique hardware
    components, so it make it very difficult to test the games on laptops.

    "Rogue" <Rogue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello My friend is having a problem with directx 9c. She bought WOW and
    > installed it on her laptop, then installed ver 9c so it would play.
    > However
    > some of the direct 3d stuff was not working. She paid for a program called
    > Happy uninstall which when registered allowed her to backup to her old
    > version of Directx on her win XP cd.
    > We then tried the directx 9 on the game cd again, you click the setup and
    > in
    > about 2 seconds it pops up saying it is installed. However nothing gets
    > installed.. it still lists as version 8.
    > We then connected to the MS website, downloaded the web installer, and the
    > same thing happened.
    > We then connected to MS and downloaded a full version of 9c to the desktop
    > and ran the install from there.
    > The same thing happens no matter what, you run dxsetup, about 2 secs go by
    > and it says it is fully installed and ready to run.
    > Yet when you do dxdiag it clearly shows ver 8 installed, and WoW (World of
    > Warcraft) will not run with anything but 9c.
    > Does anyone have a fix for this problem?

World Of Warcraft Directx Windows XP