Buying new PC, which raptor drives are better??

My new pc will either have an athlon64 3.2 or an fx-51 cpu in it. Motherboard will be asus, probably SK8V.

Now I would like to know whether it would be better to have 4 36GB SATA WD Raptor drives in RAID 0 - or 2 74GB SATA WD Raptor drives in RAID 0?

Also, would a 380w PSU from an Antec Sonata case be suitable for such a powerful setup?
As per normal, the system will have the most powerful gaming video card available and usual stuff like cdr-rw, floppy, soundblaster audigy 2 platinum pro.

Any other suggestions on setups would be much appreciated.

Thanx
10 answers Last reply
More about buying raptor drives better
  1. LOL!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:
  2. 2x 74GB Raptors will be the better config, but I'd get one 74GB Raptor (obviously nonRAIDed) and a larger drive (IIRC, Hitachi's 7k250 250GB drive is about the same price) for just 'stuff.'

I'd go for the 3400+, personally.

Use the money you'll save off the FX-51 to get a good PSU, I'd recommend a Fortron 530W (though you shouldn't need that much power, but heck, it's only $70ish).

Most powerful gaming card: 9800XT, but R42X and NV40 are going to be released in March/April/May, you might want to get a cheaper card in the meantime (9600XT--still get HL2 and good performance) and upgrade then.

Unless you need the extra ports and connections on the Platinum Pro, just get the regular Audigy 2 ZS...it has better sound quality and still has 7.1.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.
  3. 4 drives = tons of power + tons of heat + tons of noise.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
  4. whats so "LOL!" about that sjonnie??? I checked out your PC's and they're nothing special. In fact they're outdated.

ohh, and Thanks Vapor
  5. No problem...you can reply to people directly, just click the button at the top-right of their dialog box.

6. Quote:
    whats so "LOL!" about that sjonnie???

Oh nothing sorry, it's just my perverse sense of humour. Now that I've stopped laughing and in answer to your question I can say that 4 36GB raptors in RAID0 have the potential to give higher continuous read/write performance than two WD740GD drives, about 160MB/s vs 100MB/s. Good luck.

Quote:
    checked out your PC's and they're nothing special. In fact they're outdated.

Yep, the PC I use everyday for all my work as a bioinformatician contains a PIII processor. OMG how do I even manage?! I'm sure you're PC will kick my PC's ass (if it can find it).

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:
  7. But SATA only does 150 MB/s...

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
  8. LOL. Obviously the 160 MB/s doesn't all go through the same cable.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
  9. ok ok. now you guys are divided. some are saying that the 2 74's are better and some saying the 4 36's are better.
    Could you guys give explantions why you chose a particluar setup.
    Currently I am more inclined to go 2 74GB drives.

Thanx guyz.
  10. I chose 2 74s for access time/reliabilty/noise/heat/less ports used/simplicity. Massive continuous transfer rates won't be noticed (especially when the 2x 74GB drives already provide a stunning amount) in comparison to better access times. I still recommend 1 74GB and 1 250GB, BTW.

Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage