Replacing hard drive in notebook computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSvach31

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with a Toshiba MK3021GAS hard drive (30 GB, 4200 RPM, 2 MB buffer, ATA-5). The drive has died! I hear a lot of bad stuff about Toshiba drives and wonder if I can replace it with a new, faster 2.5 inch drive with more capacity, e.g. 60-80 GB? I'm thinking of Seagate or Western Digital drives. Suggestions?

I've replaced many hard drives in desktops but never replaced a notebook hard drive. Are notebook drives pretty well interchangeable as far as mounting holes and connectors as they are in desktop hard drives? Since the BIOS is dated Sept 2005 I am assuming it is new enough to recognize any new drive?

Thanks for any advice.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Sorry to hear about your hard drive dying! You will gain from putting in a faster drive.I see you get ones with 7200rpm. I see you've seen the other post regarding the hard drive adapter.

Western Digital, Seagate or Hitachi would be my choices. I have a Hitachi Travelstar 100gb 7200rpm drive in my laptop (in the sig) and it's been good to me. Plenty of space and speed. As long as you get a drive that's ATA-5 you should be fine. As a side note, I haven't been able to find an ATA-5 HDD over 5400rpm.

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Yeah, they should be pretty easy to switch around. BIOS should automatically configure like in a desktop computer. And seriously, 7200 rpm. I'm sure you'll notice a difference. I use a 100 gig, 7.2k rpm Seagate Barracuda. And since Barracuda sounds infinitely cooler than Travelstar, that's TheWorminator: 1, LostAndWandering: 0.

:D

PS: I'm joking, please don't hunt me down.

Status
Not open for further replies.