Program has encountered problem and must close

I'm running WinXP Home SP2 and just finished getting rid of a bunch of adware
and spyware plus virus with the help of experts on a spyware forumn and my
computer is just about running good again. The problem I am having now is
that if I logon to the internet I get my home page but if I try to click
another webpage I get "IE has encountered a problem and must close". I also
get this when I try to open programs like CWShredder, aboutbuster, etc....
The event viewer gives the following:
Fault application CWShredder.exe
Faulting module MShtml.dll
Fault address 0x0007df7a

Fault appliction Iexplorer.exe
Faulting Module unknown

When I run programs like Word and Excel they all run just great. If anyone
have a clue about this, please advise. Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about program encountered problem close

    give this a shot

    1. Boot off the Windows XP CD ROM. at the "Welcome to Setup" screen press
    [R] to enter Recovery Console
    2. Type the following commands:
    (*NOTE* the drive letters and windows directory names may differ)
    C:\WINDOWS>cd system32
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>ren mshtml.dll mshtml.old
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>expand d:\i386\mshtml.dl_
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>exit
    3. The computer should now restart, let it boot up normally and enter
    Windows XP
    4. BEFORE OPENING IE6 first click on Start-->Run. Type "regsvr32 mshtml.dll"
    (without the quotes) and hit OK

    Good Luck, Hope that helps.