Sign in with
Your question

AIO Printer w/35mm neg scanning?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 15, 2005 6:35:22 AM

I'm in the market for a new printer and was wondering if there is any all in ones with the ability to scan negatives. I don't really need anything too crazy in terms of dpi/resolutions/etc, but an overall decent unit would be nice. I was rummaging through some old boxes and found a few negatives from way back I'd like to see. I've been browsing but I haven't had any luck, or they don't advertise the feature. I'm working with a limited area, so that's why I'd preferably like a space saving AIO.
Any insight would be appreciated :) 
November 15, 2005 4:58:13 PM

Dear Aikon,

The first thing to realize is that a 35mm negative is very small and hence getting acceptable quality challenge the ability of low cost scanners.

Since I am boycotting the new Canon printer line up with the new chipped cartridges, I am not super familar with them. But the recently discontinued but still readily available Canon line up using the BCI-6 cartridges has a perfect choice for you-------namely the MP760.

Which is an all in one based on the Canon ip4000 printer engine paired with a
scanner able to an accceptable job with 35mm negatives. Its similar to the Canon MP750 except the scanner is not as good in the cheaper MP750. And also similar to the MP780 which adds a fax but takes away the higher quality scanner found in the MP760.

As the Canon MP760 is a recently discontinued model, availability can be spotty and clearance bargains can be found with careful shopping. As I recall the MP760 carried a list price of $250., but you may be able to find one at under $200.

If you plan to use only OEM cartridges, by all means look at the new Canon line up with chipped cartridges. And others may have other recommendations as I am admittedly Canon biased for printing economy reasons.

I also understand the advantages of an all in one--my desktop does not have room for a dedicated seperate scanner. But also look at a film only scanner that is small, will stow away elsewhere when not in use, as these are speciality items meant only for film scanning.
November 15, 2005 8:22:59 PM

Thanks Osage, that's what I was looking for. It's a tad pricey for my budget(150.00-200.00) but I'll look around some more before deciding.

Also, what are the new "chipped" cartridges all about in the new Canon line?
November 16, 2005 12:23:57 AM

Excellent question Aikon in terms of the new chipped cartridges,

By way of history, most of the recent Canon Medium and high end printers have used the BCI 3&6 inkjet cartridges. Rather than being called cartridges, they are more accurately described as ink tanks. The more accurate cartridge designation might be reserved for the HP and Lexmark line of printers where the cartridge bundes the inktank with a cheap printhead on the cartridge itself.

This is not comparable with the Epson and Canon design where the printhead is on the printer itself. So anyone either refilling the cartridge type cartridge
with the printhead on the cartridge itself is stuck with using a previously used OEM cartridge. Not so with the inktank type of cartridge and many third party cartridge makers make new inktanks compatable with Canon's for very cheap.

The recent Canon lineup for middle and high end models add a chip to shut off those third party makers. For those wishing to refill inktanks printers using the BCI-5 and CLI-8 cartridges, that is still possible. Except the chip counts how many times the nozzles fire, and when the cartridge should be empty even though you refilled it, it pops up a message that the printer is shutting down. The user can still continue printing with a cartridge they refilled but it basically voids the warranty is my basic understanding of the issue. Sooner or later some way may be found around the chip, but in my opinion, the new Canon printer lineup is basically the old one except the added chip.

For those planning to use Canon OEM cartridges it makes very little difference, but those that want to use refilling or third party cartridges, it takes away a huge cost saving option. For example, I pay $1.39 cents for a cartridge Canon wants $12.00 for. And now Canon wants to charge you $2.25 extra per chip so now the $12.00 cartridge cost you $14.25.----and you get slightly less ink also.

And its not just the high an middle end printers. Canon has also chipped its low end printer inktanks also.

Hope that explains it some.-------see Steves Digicams for more detailed posts on the subject.
!