Lcds arent made in 32 bit color?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
From what I recall, 24 bit is of concern, while the "32" bit is an extra 8 bits devoted to alpha channels for transparencies and whatnot. 24 bit (16.7M colors) is achieved through having (2^8)^3 vaues for red, green, and blue. The thing u see a lot with LCD's, especially those that employ TN+ films, is 18-bit color that uses dithering of some sort to create roughly 16.2M colors. This is often achieved by flashing various colors so quickly that the eye perceives them as a blend and thus as one of the colors in a 16.2M color spectrum. The color on these may not be so good. On the other hand, I believe it was LG Philips that actually had some 10bit/ channel panels to add alpha channels or whatnot.
If you get a PVA based panel though (true 16.7M colors), and especially with the new LED backlights that'll hopefully replace the CCFL tubes, color should not be a problem at all. The Dell 2405FPW was touted in some photoshop magazines for its excellent colors.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
Look 'fine' is kind of like 224 kbps sound 'fine' or 60 fps play fine.

There's always someone who claims that the differnce is huge, you philistine.

RichPLS

Champion
I recomend against that approach . . .
I know people who have done just this, with one eye, and they say even when they close thier good eye, effect is not better... :roll:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Look 'fine' is kind of like 224 kbps sound 'fine' or 60 fps play fine.

There's always someone who claims that the differnce is huge, you philistine.

Gee, did someone piss in your cornflakes?

You go ahead and keep using your 14" CRT from 1992 at 60Hz. I don't want you to enjoy my 2405fpw goodness.

RamaX

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
FYI: the new Westinhouse LVM-37w1 (LCD) that im considering buying apparently has 16.7 Million colors at 1920 x 1080 max res. Im you can rebut please do as i havent made up my mind yet, originally i had consiered a plasma for PC/TV but LCD after 6 or so hours of reading seems to be winning, in particular this set, its brand new and price isnt even THAT obscene at 1599-1799.

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
The thing u see a lot with LCD's, especially those that employ TN+ films, is 18-bit color that uses dithering of some sort to create roughly 16.2M colors

is bandwidth so expensive they have to do that?. dithering makes no sense to me considering it uses up response time.

and someone post a pic of a 32-bit image. i wana compare it to my 24-bit image. :wink: