Sign in with
Your question

Clean install of windows 7 64 bit on a 32 bit system with upgrade disk

Last response: in Windows 7
March 9, 2010 2:28:22 PM

I upgraded my vista 32 bit to a windows 7 32 bit. I am now wanting to install 7 64 bit on my 32 bit system. i have an UPGRADE CD of 64 bit 7. am i able to do a clean install with the upgrade CD only? I have disk scrubber that will wipe the entire contents of my drive. Do i need to do that first? And then how do I perform the clean install? i know there needs to be a reformat done. just unsure of the exact steps needed. thank you.
a c 209 $ Windows 7
March 9, 2010 4:34:34 PM

You need to do a clean install. There are basically two ways to do it:

1) You can install it onto your existing Windows disk by selecting a "Custom" install and installing into the existing partition. The old OS folder will be renamed to "Windows-Old" and the new OS will go into a new "Windows" folder.

2) You can perform a clean install onto an empty disk by using the technique described here: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_...

Both methods will require that you reinstall all your programs.
m
l
March 22, 2010 8:07:23 AM

popanik said:
I upgraded my vista 32 bit to a windows 7 32 bit. I am now wanting to install 7 64 bit on my 32 bit system. i have an UPGRADE CD of 64 bit 7. am i able to do a clean install with the upgrade CD only? I have disk scrubber that will wipe the entire contents of my drive. Do i need to do that first? And then how do I perform the clean install? i know there needs to be a reformat done. just unsure of the exact steps needed. thank you.

also if your system is a 32 bit system you will have to find all your drives and download 64bit versions of them they will still work on 64 bit windows but just as 32bit, they will all be free to download the problem is finding them lets hope your patient.
m
l
Related resources
!