Sign in with
Your question

Not Able to Access Files on Hard Drive

Last response: in Windows 7
August 11, 2012 8:14:35 PM

Hello,
I can see a generic storage device listed under the universal serial bus controllers in the device manager and am able to see the 'safely remove hardware' icon in my tray. Unfortunately, the only thing that I see in disk management is an 'unknown' disk. The hard drive is listed by manufacturer in the device manager; however, I am not able to open it from this site. And, when I look at the items 'attached' to my computer, the drive is not visible. Please advise.

Thanks!
a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2012 9:16:22 PM

A couple of questions to narrow the answer.

I assume that it is an external drive since you are looking at USB controllers. I also assume that the machine is Windows 7 since you posted it here. Do you know what file format was used on the drive, FAT32, NTFS, or something else?

And what OS was the data on the drive loaded with, has it been successfully attached to the problem computer before? And last question what external device is it, Seagate GoFlex, WD Essential, or?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2012 9:25:33 PM

also try the drive on another pc..see if it the drive or your usb drivers on that pc.
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2012 8:38:19 PM

RealBeast said:
A couple of questions to narrow the answer.

I assume that it is an external drive since you are looking at USB controllers. I also assume that the machine is Windows 7 since you posted it here. Do you know what file format was used on the drive, FAT32, NTFS, or something else?

And what OS was the data on the drive loaded with, has it been successfully attached to the problem computer before? And last question what external device is it, Seagate GoFlex, WD Essential, or?

Thanks for the questions - using an Iomega 250GB Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Silver Edition Desktop Hard Drive. No idea if it is FAT32 or other. I have not had problems in the past accessing the drive on my windows 7 overlay for vista 64 bit. I started using cc cleaner 2-3 months ago and am wondering if I have deleted files that the drive is attempting to access?
After returning to disk management, I see that I am receiving a message about partitioning...and also notice that the device is listed generically, and not by manufacturer. I selected master boot partition and attempted to format the drive, only to receive an I/O error. Bug.
I have not been able to test this on a different pc yet and would welcome your thoughts.
Thanks!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2012 9:13:49 PM

What is your priority -- getting the files off the disk or reformatting so you can use the disk?

To get the files, I would try recuva (free and works well): http://www.piriform.com/recuva

To clean up the disk and reformat, I would attach it to a back panel usb port then open the command prompt window with a right click run as administrator. Type diskpart and the type list disk. If the disk list includes the external type select disk # (where # is the external drive).

Then type clean and when it is done, type create partition primary. Then you can format it with disk management or a diskpart command.

Here is the diskpart syntax for Windows 7: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770877%28v... For earlier OS versions all the way back to DOS there are syntax pages available.
m
l
!