Welcome screen email count

June 15, 2005 5:58:01 AM

Not sure if this is an XP or an Outlook 2003 question......

On the XP Welcome/login screen, against my account it currently states that
I have 5 unread emails. In Outlook I believe I have NO unread emails. I've
selected all emails in my Inbox and set all to "Mark as Read" .... I've even
emptied my Inbox completely into an archive folder, but the Welcome screen
still insists that I have 5 unread. There is nothing in the Junk-Email box
or anywhere else as far as I can see. Even Outlook Today lists that I have
no emails in my inbox. What is going on here ? How can I get this back in
line?

Many Thanks
Rob

More about : screen email count

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:09:44 PM

Hi Rob

Download Tweak UI from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

Then when installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI. Then
expand Logon>Unread Mail. Disable the 'Show unread mail on Welcome Screen'
in the right hand pane.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"robw" <robw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if this is an XP or an Outlook 2003 question......
>
> On the XP Welcome/login screen, against my account it currently states
> that
> I have 5 unread emails. In Outlook I believe I have NO unread emails.
> I've
> selected all emails in my Inbox and set all to "Mark as Read" .... I've
> even
> emptied my Inbox completely into an archive folder, but the Welcome screen
> still insists that I have 5 unread. There is nothing in the Junk-Email
> box
> or anywhere else as far as I can see. Even Outlook Today lists that I
> have
> no emails in my inbox. What is going on here ? How can I get this back
> in
> line?
>

> Many Thanks
> Rob
June 15, 2005 2:09:45 PM

Thanks Will....I'll try that when I get home. What you are suggesting
appears to be to "Disable" the display of email count. Is there an option in
Tweak UI to "correct" it ?

Cheers
Rob

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi Rob
>
> Download Tweak UI from here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
>
> Then when installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI. Then
> expand Logon>Unread Mail. Disable the 'Show unread mail on Welcome Screen'
> in the right hand pane.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "robw" <robw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Not sure if this is an XP or an Outlook 2003 question......
> >
> > On the XP Welcome/login screen, against my account it currently states
> > that
> > I have 5 unread emails. In Outlook I believe I have NO unread emails.
> > I've
> > selected all emails in my Inbox and set all to "Mark as Read" .... I've
> > even
> > emptied my Inbox completely into an archive folder, but the Welcome screen
> > still insists that I have 5 unread. There is nothing in the Junk-Email
> > box
> > or anywhere else as far as I can see. Even Outlook Today lists that I
> > have
> > no emails in my inbox. What is going on here ? How can I get this back
> > in
> > line?
> >

> > Many Thanks
> > Rob

June 15, 2005 3:59:52 PM

"robw" <robw@discussions.microsoft.com>, le mer. 15 juin 2005
10:58:01, écrivait ceci:

Hi,

> On the XP Welcome/login screen, against my account it currently
> states that I have 5 unread emails. In Outlook I believe I have
> NO unread emails. I've selected all emails in my Inbox and set
> all to "Mark as Read" .... I've even emptied my Inbox completely
> into an archive folder, but the Welcome screen still insists that
> I have 5 unread. There is nothing in the Junk-Email box or
> anywhere else as far as I can see. Even Outlook Today lists that
> I have no emails in my inbox. What is going on here ? How can I
> get this back in line?

I've wrote a vbscript to manage this function. Would you like to try it
and tell me if it runs correctly ? (maybe there is some mistakes, my
english is not very good)

http://gilles.ronsin.free.fr/fichiers/unread.vbs

--
Embryon de site : http://gilles.ronsin.free.fr
Nouvelle astuce : Gérez vos messages non lus

12:58:01, écrivait ceci:

> Thanks Will....I'll try that when I get home. What you are
> suggesting appears to be to "Disable" the display of email count.
> Is there an option in Tweak UI to "correct" it ?

In key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail
set the value MessageExpiryDays to 0

--
Embryon de site : http://gilles.ronsin.free.fr
Nouvelle astuce : Gérez vos messages non lus
http://gilles.ronsin.free.fr/#nonlus
Il est impossible pour un optimiste d'être agréablement surpris.
June 17, 2005 5:54:06 AM

Will,

This worked a treat....It even includes an option to repair the setting
rtaher than just disabling display...Excellent
Many Thanks

!