An honest opinion please

ChrisLudwig

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
An honest opinion please

I’m looking for RAM for a new P4 3.2 or 3.06 machine I’m building.
I’m probably going with the ABIT 875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "IC7-G MAX2 motherboard.

I’m not overclocking and need a serious workstation for high-end multimedia development. Rock solid stability and high performance are key.

Is the XMS memory really worth the money for my situation, or would the Value select be just as good?

These are the two.
Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200PRO

Corsair Value Select Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 – OEM

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Before i answer your question let me just say that you SHOULD NOT get the pentium 4 3.06ghz cpu as it runs a 533mhz fsb. If you want a processor in the same price range get the <b>3.0C</b> cpu. This uses an 800mhz fsb...

On to the question... anyone who tells you for any aplication other than overclocking you need to get uber high end memory is stupid or working for corsair... It is a common misconception that low latencies make for much better system performance, really latency makes maybe a 1-5% diffrence, something that only benchmarks <i>may</i> be able to see. Anyhow, cas 2.5 memory should do well.

BTW dual channel kits are a waste of money IMO... if its more than just buying 2 value select modules then dont bother.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you want garunteed trouble-free PC3200, use Crucial.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ChrisLudwig

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
Ya, I knew that about the CPU, I just got wrong in writing, it’s the 3.0 I’m looking at.
Thanks for the help, I’m going with your recommendation.

TRENDING THREADS